I have yet to hear from 21 schools that I applied to since July and it's January, what do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCerebralAssassin

Reaction score
Hello, I applied back in July to 35 schools and so far, I have received 13 denials, 3 II, and 0 acceptances. However, the other 21 schools I have applied to still have not reached out to me and its been 7 months. Should I send them a letter of interest to show them that I'm still interested? I don't know what to do in this situation and I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
3 II is amazing already. There's no harm in sending LOI, but just make sure those schools accept update letters and LOI. Keep your head up, the cycle isn't over yet! I am also in a similar position, but trying to stay hopeful.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
3 II is amazing already. There's no harm in sending LOI, but just make sure those schools accept update letters and LOI. Keep your head up, the cycle isn't over yet! I am also in a similar position, but trying to stay hopeful.
Thank you, one of those schools I interviewed with denied me and I thought I nailed it. Was crying all day yesterday. Just going through a very rough patch in my life right now.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have two interviews that are still pending. Hold on to that hope. It just takes one offer....

Make the assumption that you will NEVER hear from those other 21 schools. If you do hear, it will be a pleasant surprise.

In the mean time, think about what you could do to approve your application if you need to reapply and begin making those improvements. Self-assessment is required of med students and it is good to practice that wherever you are in life.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, I applied back in July to 35 schools and so far, I have received 13 denials, 3 II, and 0 acceptances. However, the other 21 schools I have applied to still have not reached out to me and its been 7 months. Should I send them a letter of interest to show them that I'm still interested? I don't know what to do in this situation and I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.
Work on Plan B.

Keep fingers crossed to get off any wait lists.

Work on interview skills.

Update: 1 of the two other schools I interviewed with just denied me. I highly doubt the other school will accept me either. No school wants to give me a shot and I'm just physically, mentally, and emotionally drained. I took the MCAT twice and I am not willing to take it the third time. My dream of becoming a physician is OVER.

• Care
Update: 1 of the two other schools I interviewed with just denied me. I highly doubt the other school will accept me either. No school wants to give me a shot and I'm just physically, mentally, and emotionally drained. I took the MCAT twice and I am not willing to take it the third time. My dream of becoming a physician is OVER.
Don't give up hope yet. I know how that post-II R feels... I prematched to my dream school a week after a crushing post-II R from my only other II. Some schools just aren't the right one for you, and they found that out in the interview. Each of your other interviews are independent of what that particular school thinks of you. Keep your head up, and if you need to, use this feeling to prove them wrong next year and in your future career as a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users
What was your school list? When did ypu apply?

It is difficult to have put so much into this cycle, to have had interviews, and to find yourself empty handed when the cycle ends. Give yourself some time to mourn what could have been then wash your face and make an assessment of what you have going for you and where it can take you.

You can move on now and find a career that will be fulfilling or you can prep the hell out of the MCAT, retake only when you are absolutely ready, and make a second go at an application cycle sometime down the road.

Your "what are my chances" posts describe multiple misfortunes and health issues for you and your family and that is draining and difficult and gives you a unique perspective and motivation for a career in medicine but if you don't have the fund of knowledge and the ability to do well in these high stakes exams, you won't be licensed which medical schools take very seriously (if you flunk out or graduate but can't pass the board exams for licensure, then you are stuck with enormous loans and no way out).Your first MCAT was less than 500 and the second barely over 500. Right there, we see that you are a high risk candidate for admission to medical school and schools may have been doing you a favor not to admit you given your performance to date.

Applied first day of the cycle, all MD schools, no DO or Caribbean because I do not see myself agreeing with their values.

School list is as follows

Yet to hear from
-FIU
-University of Buffalo
-USF
-UCF
-Cornell
-SUNY Downstate
-Eastern Virginia
-Cooper
-Penn State
-Rutgers
-FAU
-Arizona- Tucson
-Minnesota
-Ohio State
-Oregon
-TCU
-Drexel
-Maryland
-Albany
-UF
-Illinois

Interviews
-CMU (Yet to hear back)
-FSU (Denied Post II)
-Iowa (Denied Post II)

Denials (Pre II)
-LSU
-Tulane
-Missouri
-George Washington University
-South Carolina
-Missouri-Kansas
-Alabama
-MSU
-Indiana
-Wisconsin
-NYULI
What was your school list? When did ypu apply?

With all due respect, I simply do not agree with that logic. I am so much more than a MCAT score. I’m a culmination of everything I have been through throughout my life. Because I’m not a good test-taker, so what? That doesn’t make me a good person or a good doctor? You can have people with the greatest MCAT scores known to man, but at the end of the day, who is to say they will have the same compassionate nature of those who have been through so much like myself. This is what’s wrong with the current state of admissions. So much emphasis is placed on the MCAT that they determine whether it will make us succeed or fail throughout the time in medical school. Well guess what, I scored a 1180 on my SAT, the same test that determines how well you’re gonna do in college. Did I fail in college? No! I graduated with a 3.89 GPA because I put in the hard work. These tests mean NOTHING at the end of the day, because no matter what I score on the MCAT, I will make damn well sure I will do everything in my power to succeed in medical school, just like I did in college.
It is difficult to have put so much into this cycle, to have had interviews, and to find yourself empty handed when the cycle ends. Give yourself some time to mourn what could have been then wash your face and make an assessment of what you have going for you and where it can take you.

You can move on now and find a career that will be fulfilling or you can prep the hell out of the MCAT, retake only when you are absolutely ready, and make a second go at an application cycle sometime down the road.

Your "what are my chances" posts describe multiple misfortunes and health issues for you and your family and that is draining and difficult and gives you a unique perspective and motivation for a career in medicine but if you don't have the fund of knowledge and the ability to do well in these high stakes exams, you won't be licensed which medical schools take very seriously (if you flunk out or graduate but can't pass the board exams for licensure, then you are stuck with enormous loans and no way out).Your first MCAT was less than 500 and the second barely over 500. Right there, we see that you are a high risk candidate for admission to medical school and schools may have been doing you a favor not to admit you given your performance to date.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
I’m sorry, but I am so much more than a MCAT score. I’m a culmination of everything I have been through throughout my life. Because I’m not a good test-taker, so what? That doesn’t make me a good person or a good doctor? You can have people with the greatest MCAT scores known to man, but at the end of the day, who is to say they will have the same compassionate nature of those who have been through so much like myself.
I think they're just trying to give you realistic advice. I know how much it sucks to be dealt a bad hand in life, and I agree MCAT shouldn't be the end all be all. I'm a low-stat applicant myself and waiting to hear back from interviews is stressful. It's heartbreaking, honestly. I was hesitant to apply DO because they're usually very expensive and double boards is a hassle, but if this is still your dream, this is something you might want to apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
With all due respect, I simply do not agree with that logic. I am so much more than a MCAT score. I’m a culmination of everything I have been through throughout my life. Because I’m not a good test-taker, so what? That doesn’t make me a good person or a good doctor? You can have people with the greatest MCAT scores known to man, but at the end of the day, who is to say they will have the same compassionate nature of those who have been through so much like myself. This is what’s wrong with the current state of admissions. So much emphasis is placed on the MCAT that they determine whether it will make us succeed or fail throughout the time in medical school. Well guess what, I scored a 1180 on my SAT, the same test that determines how well you’re gonna do in college. Did I fail in college? No! I graduated with a 3.89 GPA because I put in the hard work. These tests mean NOTHING at the end of the day, because no matter what I score on the MCAT, I will make damn well sure I will do everything in my power to succeed in medical school, just like I did in college.
Yes, you are more than an MCAT score but at the end of the day, you have to pass the board exams. Evidence from >50,000 medical students gives us a reasonable picture of how MCAT is predictive of performance on those high stakes exams and the likelihood of graduating medical school "on time". Can you blame schools for wanting to take the applicants who are most likely to succeed when there is only room for about 10-15% of the pool of applicants to each school?

I don't doubt that you are a good person. If being a good doctor begins with being admitted to medical school, you may not have what it takes to be a good doctor. You can either do what you need to do to prepare for another cycle or you can make an inventory of your strengths and interests and find a path to a fulfilling career that will work for you.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I appreciate your input, truly I do, but stats have outliers. I have more than what it takes to be admitted to med school and become a good doctor. However, what med schools care about the most is the MCAT, and it is sickening to me and all of the other applicants out there to have to spend thousands of more dollars for a reapplication cycle because of a test that determines if we pass our board exams. This test is a barrier and should not be representative of who we are and the ability to become great doctors.
Yes, you are more than an MCAT score but at the end of the day, you have to pass the board exams. Evidence from >50,000 medical students gives us a reasonable picture of how MCAT is predictive of performance on those high stakes exams and the likelihood of graduating medical school "on time". Can you blame schools for wanting to take the applicants who are most likely to succeed when there is only room for about 10-15% of the pool of applicants to each school?

I don't doubt that you are a good person. If being a good doctor begins with being admitted to medical school, you may not have what it takes to be a good doctor. You can either do what you need to do to prepare for another cycle or you can make an inventory of your strengths and interests and find a path to a fulfilling career that will work for you.

• Haha
Should there be board exams before a physician is licensed or are those a barrier, too? The board exams also cost thousands of dollars and re-certification is required every few years for as long as you hold a license.

• Love
The point I’m trying to make here is that no score should validate how well you are going to do in the future, as evident by my SAT and how well I did in college. Again, I appreciate your input, although we might not agree on certain topics, it is surely welcomed.
Should there be board exams before a physician is licensed or are those a barrier, too? The board exams also cost thousands of dollars and re-certification is required every few years for as long as you hold a license.

Applied first day of the cycle, all MD schools, no DO or Caribbean because I do not see myself agreeing with their values.

Yet to hear from
-FIU
-University of Buffalo
-USF
-UCF
-Cornell
-SUNY Downstate
-Eastern Virginia
-Cooper
-Penn State
-Rutgers
-FAU
-Arizona- Tucson
-Minnesota
-Ohio State
-Oregon
-TCU
-Drexel
-Maryland
-Albany
-UF
-Illinois

Interviews
-CMU (Yet to hear back)
-FSU (Denied Post II)
-Iowa (Denied Post II)

Denials (Pre II)
-LSU
-Tulane
-Missouri
-South Carolina
-Missouri-Kansas
-Alabama
-MSU
-Indiana
-Wisconsin
-NYULI
As I recall, you had a 503 MCAT score. That made all of those MD schools donations.

Beggars can't be choosy, you should have had DO schools on your list. But it seems that the MD initials were more important than being a doctor.

And despite the above you still got two IIs. Most applicants get none, and of those that do, most get only one accept.

Like it or not, it's a sellers market.

And not getting accepted is not a sign that you're a bad person or devalue you as a human being.

As I recall, you had a 503 MCAT score. That made all of those MD schools donations.

Beggars can't be choosy, you should have had DO schools on your list. But it seems that the MD initials were more important than being a doctor.

And despite the above you still got two IIs. Most applicants get none, and of those that do, most get only one accept.

Like it or not, it's a sellers market.

And not getting accepted is not a sign that you're a bad person or devalue you as a human being.
It’s not about the initials, I just don’t agree with DO schools through my research and time working for two of them. Although I got THREE II, it just does not sit right with me that my whole app has to be based off that one score.

• Hmm
  • Okay...

I'm curious what "values" you are referring to that led you away from the DO path, considering US MD and DO are effectively equivalent after medical school. If your options are attending a DO school or never becoming a doctor, is the annoyance of learning OMM (which you don't have to use after graduation) worth giving up on the dream?

Additionally - I don't think anyone is saying that not doing well on the MCAT means you couldn't be a good doctor. I think what they're pointing out is that standardized testing continues throughout medical school and residency - Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, boards, etc. If you struggle with standardized testing, you're at risk for struggling at each one of those hurdles, and that can leave you with significant debt without a realistic career in medicine if you can't pass. Given that, it seems to me the kinder option would be to have the barrier up-front, prior to the accrual of significant costs.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
OP: I agree you are more than your MCAT score and three schools interviewed you with your MCAT score record. Maybe it is your mission or program fit and not (just) your MCAT.

How many applicants with higher MCATs are out there who haven't even gotten one interview?

You have one school left on the board if I read your list correctly. Who knows, but you need to reconsider your strategy. To not have DO schools -- who are more likely to believe you are more than your MCAT--- has cost you a year to reapply as far as we know. We advised you before the cycle to include them. No guarantees that you would get an offer, but you could have had a better shot.

I understand feeling disappointed and discouraged. I don't think sending 21 LOIs will make things better. If you still have one school left where you interviewed, send them a LOI. Emphasize your fit with the school and why their program fulfills your own vision of yourself caring for diverse underserved communities in Michigan who are overlooked or have fallen through the cracks of our social support system. Show your accomplishments in light of your challenges that prepared you for their medical school. Embrace sub-freezing weather and cheer for the Detroit Lions. Express gratitude and confidence, not desperation or despair. Who knows.

It's not about how hard you get hit. It's about how you get back up and continue forward. It's up to you to decide if you are willing to take that MCAT again or not, to apply DO or not. But realize your assumptions have gotten you to this precipice. If you'd want to be a physician with an MD that badly, then you need to prove that you are not your MCAT score... but you are better because you have a real purpose and a discipline to be excellent.

Additional note: adcoms like students who are willing to learn and take advice. You haven't really done that in considering the experts' advice here. Being teachable and executing your mentors advice is highly desirable among prehealth students (Capacity to learn and improve), and maybe that is the Achilles heel of your application.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
This is the type of message that made my day. God bless you for taking the time to write this out.
OP: I agree you are more than your MCAT score and three schools interviewed you with your MCAT score record. Maybe it is your mission or program fit and not (just) your MCAT.

How many applicants with higher MCATs are out there who haven't even gotten one interview?

You have one school left on the board if I read your list correctly. Who knows, but you need to reconsider your strategy. To not have DO schools -- who are more likely to believe you are more than your MCAT--- has cost you a year to reapply as far as we know. We advised you before the cycle to include them. No guarantees that you would get an offer, but you could have had a better shot.

I understand feeling disappointed and discouraged. I don't think sending 21 LOIs will make things better. If you still have one school left where you interviewed, send them a LOI. Emphasize your fit with the school and why their program fulfills your own vision of yourself caring for diverse underserved communities in Michigan who are overlooked or have fallen through the cracks of our social support system. Show your accomplishments in light of your challenges that prepared you for their medical school. Embrace sub-freezing weather and cheer for the Detroit Lions. Express gratitude and confidence, not desperation or despair. Who knows.

It’s not about the initials, I just don’t agree with DO schools through my research and time working for two of them. Although I got THREE II, it just does not sit right with me that my whole app has to be based off that one score.
The fact that you got three II shows that your MCAT score wasn't an issue.

Your interview performance was.

If you are interested, I can do a mock interview with you for practice!

• Care
So in your opinion, how do students improve their interview performance?
Reflect: How did your other interviews go? MMI? Traditional? Did you take Casper or PREview? Kira?

Review: Did you review your secondary applications and their websites or notes from networking before interviews?

• Love
You've received a lot of good advice in this thread. My only piece to add is that no matter your personal opinion, it does you no good to complain about the rules of the game. These are the rules that everyone has to play by, and while it is unfortunate for you that the MCAT has proven to be a difficult hurdle to overcome, fixating after the fact on how unfair the situation is will not help you achieve your goal of becoming a physician.

I understand that this is a difficult time for you. However, if your goal is to be a physician, then you strongly need to consider adding DO schools to your school list. I'm not sure what you mean by not "agreeing" with DO schools, whether it's the fact that they include OMM or they have less research opportunities or something else. But just as you say that your app should not be based off of one score, your entire career will not be defined by what school you attend. Some of the best physicians I have worked with are DOs, and they attended great residency and fellowship programs after school. You can chart a similar path as well.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I agree with you to an extent but the experts here have also given very good info and advice. I can see you passion for medicine and your drive to want to be a physician through your responses. I was in the same boat as you, 3 MCAT attempts with my last being a 500, I thought the test was stupid and knew it didn't portray the person I am or the physician I would be. I didn't want to go DO but after 3 failed cycles I applied to DO and MD schools in TX. Received 2 II out of all the TX schools, 1 DO and 1 MD. I am now an accepted at the DO school and will be starting in the fall. If you are truly as passionate as you seem apply to DO schools. They may surprise you on interview day much like I was. Anyways good luck I hope everything works out for you!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I don’t believe your whole app was based on one score. You were selected for three interviews. Obviously those three schools knew all about your 503 MCAT score and they still decided they wanted to meet you and interview you. What happened in the interview? Did you leave feeling a bit off? How do you think you did?
And don’t you have one school you are waiting for a post interview decision?

• Love
I took Casper and got a 3/4 on the test. I genuinely thought all of my interviews went well because I heavily did my research into each school and really connected myself with their values.
Reflect: How did your other interviews go? MMI? Traditional? Did you take Casper or PREview? Kira?

Review: Did you review your secondary applications and their websites or notes from networking before interviews?

I took Casper and got a 3/4 on the test. I genuinely thought all of my interviews went well because I heavily did my research into each school and really connected myself with their values.
Did you express your own values honestly or said what you thought the school wanted to hear? I'm always startled to see someone get an R after interview.
Did you have prior connections to the schools that interviewed you? (parent works there, you worked or volunteered there, etc)

Did you express your own values honestly or said what you thought the school wanted to hear? I'm always startled to see someone get an R after interview.
Did you have prior connections to the schools that interviewed you? (parent works there, you worked or volunteered there, etc)
I expressed it honestly and whole-heartedly. I spoke from my experiences, values, how I was brought up, etc. I have no connections to those schools. The schools I have connections to are UCF (brother goes there), and USF (I went there and sister goes there).

Yet to hear from
-FIU
-USF
-UCF
-Eastern Virginia
-Penn State
-FAU
-TCU
-Drexel
-Albany
-UF

Denials (Pre II)
-Tulane
The above schools that you either were denied from or waiting to hear from are the only ones likely to have considered out-of-state students with a lower MCAT. The FL schools like FSU, FAU and FIU are probably your best chance for MD. If you have a rural background, that can help at certain schools like CMU.

Do you feel as if you have strong essays and writing? Strong interview and interpersonal skills? There are so many applicants with high stats and hours but unfortunately the writing doesn’t include the schools mission=R. Unlike undergraduate admissions committees, medical committees don’t really emphasize the sob story or traumatic life story, they want to see what lessons you’ve learned that will make you a great and successful student doctor->physician. I have my traumas, pitiful traumatic life story & low stats too but emphasized more about what I learned through school and my life and job experiences instead and got into med school!

I’d say save up for a real MCAT prep and don’t self study if that’s what you did the first time. If you really want to be an MD you’d do what it takes IMO. Maybe paid clinical experience (hospital/clinic) since outside of shadowing experiences, your resume gives more nursing/PA/DO caretaker pathway. Idk much about update letters because most schools will be done interviewing soon and I didn’t send one but it wouldn’t hurt. G’luck

I'm someone with no skin in the game, but I've interviewed a lot of candidates (albeit in another professional field). If your responses above are reflective of how you interviewed, then you might have come across as aggressive, entitled, or defensive. You're punching well above your MCAT score, and as you've been told above, that shows the schools see something in your application that make them want to give you a chance DESPITE your score. Three interviews is great. My sister, who has a 519 and almost perfect GPA, ended the last cycle with only 2 interviews and has 5 interviews this cycle. Again, the MCAT is not what's holding you back, at least as to three schools.

Take up some opportunities to do mock interviews and get feedback. Sometimes, it's substance. Sometimes, it's something less tangible, like demeanor, tone, or body language. Maybe it shouldn't matter, but when there's a huge pool of talented applicants for a much smaller set of spots, we have to differentiate based on the details.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users