Paper rejected do I need to update schools about that

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lise890

Reaction score
So this might be a pretty dumb question, but I said in my AMCAS primary that a paper was under reivew at a pretty high profile journal. Guess we were aiming too high and it got rejected. Do I need to tell schools about this bc otherwise they'll think it's still under review somewhere and that is not quite the case anymore unfortunately :(

Members don't see this ad.

So this might be a pretty dumb question, but I said in my AMCAS primary that a paper was under reivew at a pretty high profile journal. Guess we were aiming too high and it got rejected. Do I need to tell schools about this bc otherwise they'll think it's still under review somewhere and that is not quite the case anymore unfortunately :(
Aren't you going to resubmit somewhere else? Rinse and repeat until you get it accepted. It will still be under review, just not at the first place you submitted it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't you going to resubmit somewhere else? Rinse and repeat until you get it accepted. It will still be under review, just not at the first place you submitted it.
Yeah it was more the issue that I name dropped the exact journal that it was under review at on my primary so I was worried that part would be a problem

Yeah it was more the issue that I name dropped the exact journal that it was under review at on my primary so I was worried that part would be a problem
Submitting a manuscript is not, in and of itself, an accomplishment. I could fax old pages of Reader's Digest to Nature and claim that I have a submission under review. This is one reason why most people don't list such things unless they are accepted or accepted with revisions.

The other major reason is that manuscript acceptance rates to reputable journals are typically very low. It's not unusual to revise and resubmit multiple times before finding the right journal. If I were to ask you about your manuscript in an interview I would not be at all surprised to learn it was rejected.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Submitting a manuscript is not, in and of itself, and accomplishment. I could fax old pages of Reader's Digest to Nature and claim that I have a submission under review. This one reason why most people don't list such things unless they are accepted or accepted with revisions.
Haha point taken

When mine was rejected, I didn't tell anyone. When asked, I just said it was still under review (technically accurate since we resubmit lol)

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
When mine was rejected, I didn't tell anyone. When asked, I just said it was still under review (technically accurate since we resubmit lol)
Would not update regarding this. I would only update if your paper is accepted somewhere else.

If asked about it, I would just say it's under internal review, and that you are working to address edits and feedback provided by journal to prepare the paper for resubmission. If asked about it in an interview, would frame it as an opportunity for growth and to become a better writer and scientific communicator. Don't lie or be dishonest.

Would not update regarding this. I would only update if your paper is accepted somewhere else.

If asked about it, I would just say it's under internal review, and that you are working to address edits and feedback provided by journal to prepare the paper for resubmission. If asked about it in an interview, would frame it as an opportunity for growth and to become a better writer and scientific communicator. Don't lie or be dishonest.
I mean, what's the lie lol. They ask about the status of the paper and I replied "it's currently under review". They don't usually name the journal or ask me if it's under review in that specific journal.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
I mean, what's the lie lol. They ask about the status of the paper and I replied "it's currently under review". They don't usually name the journal or ask me if it's under review in that specific journal.
For transparency. There is no need to gatekeep information-- better to just be upfront rather than come off ambiguous.