I just found out that I might be over 250k in debt after I graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Hue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is my life over? I'm going to be a P1 in August. I heard that it's really tough to find work after you graduate. I pretty much need a job as a full time pharmacist as soon as possible to pay off all this debt. Will I have to be paying all this debt off over 15 years of my life?

Members don't see this ad.

Over 250k? How did you let that happen when we have CC, state schools and state pharm schools?

Reactions: 7 users
That's a lot of money. Yikes. Compound interest on that yearly and you have a less than pretty picture over those 10-15 years.

I remember laughing back when I used to work in the mortgage industry when people would tell me "what a great interest rate" I was getting them, only to look horrified and confused when they would see the amortization schedule showing that they would pay over 200% of their purchase price over the life of their loan.

The only person who wins taking out loans is the bank, or a really savvy and lucky investor.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The debt to income ratio is crazy. I would be looking into alternate schools or careers.

Is my life over? I'm going to be a P1 in August. I heard that it's really tough to find work after you graduate. I pretty much need a job as a full time pharmacist as soon as possible to pay off all this debt. Will I have to be paying all this debt off over 15 years of my life?
Are you not going to an in state public school? If not that is your first mistake. If you have to take out more than 125K id say don't do pharmacy.

Apparently 200k-250k is pretty typical of schools in California, public or private, when the insane living expenses here are factored in.

Apparently 200k-250k is pretty typical of schools in California, public or private, when the insane living expenses here are factored in.
Yea I meant to add in my post if you are in Cali don't go either way. Not worth it.

Are you not going to an in state public school? If not that is your first mistake. If you have to take out more than 125K id say don't do pharmacy.

I'm not in state public school. I'm going to a small private school. My father told me that once I become a licensed pharmacist I'll be working so I'll be able to pay off my loans in time. He says that it's no big deal, I just put in half of my yearly income towards loans and I'll still be able to live a satisfied and stable life. I'm kind of worried and scared now though.

Right now he said I may be about 100k in debt, that's terrifying and I still have 4 more years to go. The cost is about 30k a year at my school I believe. With the interest I'll be in a lot of debt by the time I graduate. And is it true that the interest just goes up as I'm paying off these loans? How could I even get married and raise kids if I'm still in debt with over 100 thousand dollars. Is my life really going to be complete and utter poor trash for 15 years after I graduate and then finally once I'm 40 I can enjoy life? This is ridiculous.

How about I choose to pay the minimum amount for my loans every month for the rest of my life and finally once I die I'll owe the government thousands of dollars but it won't even matter because I'm already dead and have only paid the minimum amount so I can use the rest of my money to enjoy my life and do other things

You can pay back 100,000 really quickly, especially if you pick up shifts and live within your means. You would be surprised what 5 years will do :)

I'm not in state public school. I'm going to a small private school. My father told me that once I become a licensed pharmacist I'll be working so I'll be able to pay off my loans in time. He says that it's no big deal, I just put in half of my yearly income towards loans and I'll still be able to live a satisfied and stable life. I'm kind of worried and scared now though.

Right now he said I may be about 100k in debt, that's terrifying and I still have 4 more years to go. The cost is about 30k a year at my school I believe. With the interest I'll be in a lot of debt by the time I graduate. And is it true that the interest just goes up as I'm paying off these loans? How could I even get married and raise kids if I'm still in debt with over 100 thousand dollars. Is my life really going to be complete and utter poor trash for 15 years after I graduate and then finally once I'm 40 I can enjoy life? This is ridiculous.

How about I choose to pay the minimum amount for my loans every month for the rest of my life and finally once I die I'll owe the government thousands of dollars but it won't even matter because I'm already dead and have only paid the minimum amount so I can use the rest of my money to enjoy my life and do other things

You'll be a P1 in August and right now you're around 100k in debt? Am I reading that right?

That's your biggest mistake right there. PRIVATE school.

I know a new grad who paid off 110,000 in 1.5 years after graduating.

250,000 with interest is just SOOO MUCH MORE.

I feel bad for you, did no one sit you down and explain exactly what you were signing your name onto with those loan documents? You will have to pay about $2800 a month for 10 years to pay this off.

Reactions: 1 users
You can pay back 100,000 really quickly, especially if you pick up shifts and live within your means. You would be surprised what 5 years will do :)

Big difference between that and $250,000. This kid is screwed if he doesn't get on one of those government poverty loan programs.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

This is a financially horrible idea. There are programs that let you pay the minimum every month like income-based repayment (IBR) but in the long run, even when you take inflation into account, you will be paying a boat load of interest plus the whole principle. In addition, if you married to someone who makes a good living, your payment will jump. Furthermore, if you still have student loans when you have retired at 65, the IRS will go after your social security. The bottom line is that the government will get its money back plus years of interest. There's no way out of it.

I know you are worried but that's good. You should know what you are getting into. Many students don't even know how much they owe until they have graduated and it's already too late. You can calculate how much you will owe here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/calculated-cost-of-pharmacy-school.989770/

Your dad may have good intentions but he may not know what is going on. He may not know that school is now a business. It doesn't matter if you ever get a job, the school will get paid the same so there's an incentive to keep on enrolling more and more students. That's why the admission standards keep on dropping.

Even when times were good, I don't recommend borrowing more than 150 k (includes undergrad loans). The saturation is real and it is no longer disputed. If things do not work out for you, then you have no one to blame but yourself. You can't say you were not warned.

I think that after my P1 year I'll be 100k in debt so I'd have only 3 more years to go. I honestly don't know the exact number. My dad told me all this and he's probably just pulling numbers out of his ass, it's annoying. And I didn't sign any documents at all. My dad just did everything that had to do with the student loans and he doesn't even know the accurate amount of how much I'll be owing. Is there a way for me to go online and find out exactly how much I'm in debt?

I remember I had some award packages that cut down costs quite a bit, I need to know the exact amount I'll be in debt though.

just post your numbers and I am sure someone here can calculate how much you will own by the time you have graduated

(1) current student loan debt (undergrad) and interest rate
(2) how much you will borrow for tuition (includes fee) plus living cost for P1 to P4 and interest rate

just post your numbers and I am sure someone here can calculate how much you will own by the time you have graduated

(1) current student loan debt (undergrad) and interest rate
(2) how much you will borrow for tuition (includes fee) plus living cost for P1 to P4 and interest rate
I plugged the numbers............................
came out to be TOO DAMN MUCH.

I probably posted here too uninformed. I did some research and I found out that if you go to this site here it shows the loans that you are responsible for: https://www.nslds.ed.gov

Here is a picture of my loan summary: http://puu.sh/9jzx1/3af66b3874.png

I know this doesn't seem right though because my tuition/room and board costs much more. Then I went to the FAQ and it said that parent plus loans don't show up under here. I believe my father did take out some parent plus loans for me. I have no idea how that works though. It says on the FAQ that I'm not legally responsible to pay off those loans. That's pretty freakin sweet if that means all I have to pay is this measly 12k (which I still don't even feel convinced that this is all I owe at this point). But I still don't know how the rest of the money is going to get re paid. The money I borrowed for my tuition and room and board because it was a lot more than 12k.

Live poor when you get out. Nothing extra. Just the basics. You can pay it all back in a little time.

I know this doesn't seem right though because my tuition/room and board costs much more. Then I went to the FAQ and it said that parent plus loans don't show up under here. I believe my father did take out some parent plus loans for me. I have no idea how that works though. It says on the FAQ that I'm not legally responsible to pay off those loans. That's pretty freakin sweet if that means all I have to pay is this measly 12k (which I still don't even feel convinced that this is all I owe at this point). But I still don't know how the rest of the money is going to get re paid. The money I borrowed for my tuition and room and board because it was a lot more than 12k.

Where did you get this idea from? If you default on your student loans, your credit score and your dad's credit score will go down the toilet (you will have a hard time buying a house if that happens). If you can't find work, the government will deduct money from his wages. If you still owe money by the time he retires, the government will deduct 15% from his social security.

Having your dad signed your loans is good for the governement because then the government can go after you and your dad.

If your parents cosigned, I.E. parent plus, they will be stuck with the bill and you not paying will destroy their credit.

It really is sad that kids like this have no f'n clue what they're getting themselves into. I mean how can a person not be sure how much money they're borrowing? Sad future we have.

Where did you get this idea from? If you default on your student loans, your credit score and your dad's credit score will go down the toilet (you will have a hard time buying a house if that happens). If you can't find work, the government will deduct money from his wages. If you still owe money by the time he retires, the government will deduct 15% from his social security.

Having your dad signed your loans is good for the governement because then the government can go after you and your dad.

"Where are my parent's PLUS loans?
The only loans that are listed are those for which you are responsible for repaying. PLUS loans taken out by your parents on your behalf are not legally your responsibility. Your parents may review their PLUS loans by entering the web site using their identifiers and their own PIN."

You guys should help me try to understand where I can find all this information on how much I owe so I know if I am blowing this situation out of proportion. From what I'm reading here I am only responsible for paying these loans on this website correct? Apparently this site gets updated frequently so these numbers should be up to date? If this isn't what I'm really expected to pay where can I find the number that I am expected to pay?

"Where are my parent's PLUS loans?
The only loans that are listed are those for which you are responsible for repaying. PLUS loans taken out by your parents on your behalf are not legally your responsibility. Your parents may review their PLUS loans by entering the web site using their identifiers and their own PIN."

You guys should help me try to understand where I can find all this information on how much I owe so I know if I am blowing this situation out of proportion. From what I'm reading here I am only responsible for paying these loans on this website correct? Apparently this site gets updated frequently so these numbers should be up to date? If this isn't what I'm really expected to pay where can I find the number that I am expected to pay?

So you want to throw your parents under the bus?

I think that after my P1 year I'll be 100k in debt so I'd have only 3 more years to go. I honestly don't know the exact number. My dad told me all this and he's probably just pulling numbers out of his ass, it's annoying. And I didn't sign any documents at all. My dad just did everything that had to do with the student loans and he doesn't even know the accurate amount of how much I'll be owing. Is there a way for me to go online and find out exactly how much I'm in debt?

I remember I had some award packages that cut down costs quite a bit, I need to know the exact amount I'll be in debt though.

Wow. I know I was pretty naïve and clueless when I was a college student, but how can you not have any idea of the loans you are taking out? Or are the loans solely your parents? I mean, if you didn't sign anything, then *you* don't have any loans. Did your parents take out loans on their own and not as a co-signer? Did they just forge your signature on the Parent Plus loans? You would have had to have signed something, for any loan to be in your name, ie any government sponsored college loan. You are naïve, but that's OK, at least you are asking questions and learning (as others have mentioned, there are a lot of people graduating who are still clueless.)

Another thing to remember, its not as simple as "putting half your salary" towards your loans, as your dad has mentioned, if you are single & childless, you are going to be paying a premium in taxes. $250,000 is a mortgage payment.....and it will take as long to pay off, as it takes the average person to pay off a house, that may help to put that amount in perspective as you think about your future. Whether or not pharmacy school is the right decision for you depends on a lot of variables (and guesses about what the future holds.) The amount of debt you are taking on shouldn't be a deal breaker, BUT it should make you really, really, really think carefully about your decision to go to pharmacy school.

Edited to add....even if you aren't legally responsible for paying back your parent's loans, are your parent's expecting you to pay them back? If yes, then that means you should consider those loans as your own personal loans......or risk totally fracturing the relationship you have with your parents.

I don't understand though. Yes of course I'll obviously help my parents and pay them back. But my main concern is that after I graduate would I be living a poor lifestyle? After I graduate and have a full time job I'm expecting to live a moderate to high lifestyle with more than enough money to spend on all of my expenses and a little bit more. With the left over money I'll put that towards the parent plus loans.

What I just want are the hard facts of everything. Is the government going to hunt me down and ask for a minimum amount of money every month? And even if they do would I still be able to live a moderate to high lifestyle after I graduate even though I have these parent plus loans? That's all I'm worried about. I'm not trying to throw anyone under the bus, and I'm starting to think the 250k in loans that I stated is outrageous. Due to that website that I went on my loans don't even look that bad at all, they look manageable. Can anyone even give me some comforting and factual advice instead of attacking and questioning me that I am going to put my parents at an inconvenience?

EDIT: Also, no one has even directed me to a website or any resource where I could find the exact amount of money I owe. You all just criticize me for not being knowledgeable about my loans and make general statements that mean absolutely nothing to my situation. I've only been on this forum for a little while and right off the bat I can see it is not helpful at all.

It depends on where you are in life. If you already have a family by the time you graduate, it will be hard to keep up with the loan payments. If you are single, don't worry about it. You're looking at 45-50K that you could go towards loan repayment IF you do not spend exorbitant amounts of money on a car, apartment, house etc. Usually you're required to pay a minimum amount per month for loans, so if you don't want to pay it back quickly, you can go with the minimum (but pay more over the long term). I would say don't count on living a rich lifestyle though. It won't be possible for you to live in a penthouse and still pay off these loans. The good news is you'll get used to a poor lifestyle during your years of pharmacy school ;)

Probably because her parents dont work? So the worse case scenario for them is having their social security garnish which won't be much anyways since they have not been working.

But unfortunately for you (fortunately for us taxer payers), there is no such thing as parent loans for pharmacy school so you are going to be on your own.

The government can't discriminate. It can't deny you access to $100,000 in student loans for a degree in basket weaving. It gives student loans to everyone. But there's a catch. It can't lose money either so interest rate has to be high. The ones who made the right decision, who worked hard are paying outrageous interest rate for those who either abuse the system or dont have any financial common sense.

I don't understand though. Yes of course I'll obviously help my parents and pay them back. But my main concern is that after I graduate would I be living a poor lifestyle? After I graduate and have a full time job I'm expecting to live a moderate to high lifestyle with more than enough money to spend on all of my expenses and a little bit more. With the left over money I'll put that towards the parent plus loans.

What I just want are the hard facts of everything. Is the government going to hunt me down and ask for a minimum amount of money every month? And even if they do would I still be able to live a moderate to high lifestyle after I graduate even though I have these parent plus loans? That's all I'm worried about. I'm not trying to throw anyone under the bus, and I'm starting to think the 250k in loans that I stated is outrageous. Due to that website that I went on my loans don't even look that bad at all, they look manageable. Can anyone even give me some comforting and factual advice instead of attacking and questioning me that I am going to put my parents at an inconvenience?

EDIT: Also, no one has even directed me to a website or any resource where I could find the exact amount of money I owe. You all just criticize me for not being knowledgeable about my loans and make general statements that mean absolutely nothing to my situation. I've only been on this forum for a little while and right off the bat I can see it is not helpful at all.

C'mon man. This is YOUR responsibility to figure out. Not your parents and not ours.

The fact that you plan to help your parents out with YOUR loans after all the expenses of living a "moderate to high lifestyle, and a little more" is really concerning. Combined that with your statement that not being responsible for Parent Plus loans is "pretty freakin sweet" and I think you are setting yourself (and your parents) up for a financial disaster.

If you already have 100k in loans and still have 4 years to go, you will likely be around the 250k number that you mentioned. You should go to your school's website and find the page with the financial/tuition information to get a better idea of how much you will owe. Just add up everything (tuition, housing, etc.) to get the total Cost of Attendance and tack on the 100k that you already have.

You really need to get a grasp of your situation before entering school.

He's the product of his parents upbringing, followed by their decision to facilitate his walk on easy street by cosigning loans.

Looks like justice is coming full swing.

C'mon man. This is YOUR responsibility to figure out. Not your parents and not ours.

The fact that you plan to help your parents out with YOUR loans after all the expenses of living a "moderate to high lifestyle, and a little more" is really concerning. Combined that with your statement that not being responsible for Parent Plus loans is "pretty freakin sweet" and I think you are setting yourself (and your parents) up for a financial disaster.

If you already have 100k in loans and still have 4 years to go, you will likely be around the 250k number that you mentioned. You should go to your school's website and find the page with the financial/tuition information to get a better idea of how much you will owe. Just add up everything (tuition, housing, etc.) to get the total Cost of Attendance and tack on the 100k that you already have.

You really need to get a grasp of your situation before entering school.

I want to live a moderate to high lifestyle. I refuse to live a poor lifestyle after I graduate because that is ridiculous. I'm going to pharmacy school to make money and become rich, not spend 10-15 years after graduation being forced to live a crap lifestyle with barely any money to myself, that's not how I'm planning my future to be and I'm refusing to let that happen. Therefore I will not sink a majority of my money into paying back loans, I'll only put just enough money into it so that I can still live a moderate to high lifestyle.

The thing is I don't really know if I have 100k in loans. Perhaps I should just remove this whole post, or I should have just left out the numbers completely and asked where I could find this information. Because now people like you and everyone else can just pull numbers out of thin air without anything to back it up and it's just annoying me. I've received merit awards and grants for a certain amount of years for attending this 6 year program. I'm not sure what it's all totaled up to be but I have definitely gotten some awards to cut back on these costs so I highly doubt the total amount is 100k. And did you even read my post?

My god it's like nobody here reads a SINGLE thing

Like honestly, one guy even thinks I'm female when I never stated my gender, I'm male. You guys are ridiculous. I don't have 4 more years to go, I have 3 more years to go because that 100k already has this current year included. Learn to read my recent posts before you start giving useless information. And for that matter I don't even think it's a full 100k because I have some merit awards and grants (like I said before and saying again because apparently you have to mention things 5 times for it to come across to the people here).

Also, please don't tell me I need to get a grasp on my situation before entering school. Again useless bit of information that I don't need to know. I'm already in school and now I'm trying to get a grasp on the situation now. Because no one seems to offer me any resources or sites that may be helpful I'll just go to my school's financial aid office to figure this out and perhaps just google around. I thought maybe the community here had something insightful to share that can't be found from a simple google search. Boy was I wrong.

I'm going to pharmacy school to make money and become rich

Haha, that's cute. It's 2014 and he thinks you can go to pharmacy school to "become rich." Carry on in your endeavors young man, may the wind be at your back and the sun always smile down on you.

Reactions: 8 users
I want to live a moderate to high lifestyle. I refuse to live a poor lifestyle after I graduate because that is ridiculous. I'm going to pharmacy school to make money and become rich, not spend 10-15 years after graduation being forced to live a crap lifestyle with barely any money to myself, that's not how I'm planning my future to be and I'm refusing to let that happen. Therefore I will not sink a majority of my money into paying back loans, I'll only put just enough money into it so that I can still live a moderate to high lifestyle.

The thing is I don't really know if I have 100k in loans. Perhaps I should just remove this whole post, or I should have just left out the numbers completely and asked where I could find this information. Because now people like you and everyone else can just pull numbers out of thin air without anything to back it up and it's just annoying me. I've received merit awards and grants for a certain amount of years for attending this 6 year program. I'm not sure what it's all totaled up to be but I have definitely gotten some awards to cut back on these costs so I highly doubt the total amount is 100k. And did you even read my post?

My god it's like nobody here reads a SINGLE thing

Like honestly, one guy even thinks I'm female when I never stated my gender, I'm male. You guys are ridiculous. I don't have 4 more years to go, I have 3 more years to go because that 100k already has this current year included. Learn to read my recent posts before you start giving useless information. And for that matter I don't even think it's a full 100k because I have some merit awards and grants (like I said before and saying again because apparently you have to mention things 5 times for it to come across to the people here).

Also, please don't tell me I need to get a grasp on my situation before entering school. Again useless bit of information that I don't need to know. I'm already in school and now I'm trying to get a grasp on the situation now. Because no one seems to offer me any resources or sites that may be helpful I'll just go to my school's financial aid office to figure this out and perhaps just google around. I thought maybe the community here had something insightful to share that can't be found from a simple google search. Boy was I wrong.

Good lord, how difficult is it for you to go to your school's website and calculate the remaining COA? As to your current debt level, you should be able to log into whatever entity provided the loans and check your balance (or just ask your dad to show you the exact numbers). You could also get this information from your school's financial office, I would assume.

Regardless of the exact number, it looks like you will have a substantial amount. I really think you need to adjust your expectations of the lifestyle that you will be living after school. You certainly won't be rich on a pharmacist's income and your debt level. You got yourself into this and you will need to make sacrifices to pay the money back. Don't think for a second that you can just lay these loans off onto your parents.

I'm going to mostly hold my tongue here, but you seem a little entitled and naive about this whole situation.

You don't know how to add and multiple?

For example, 50 k during year 1 + 6.8% interest. After year 1: 50 k x 1.068 = becomes 53.4 k. Year 2: 54.3 x 1.068 = 57 k. Add 57 k to 53.4 k (the amount for year 2 tuition) = 103.4 k.

Do this a few more times. If you can't then use an online calculator.

Haha, that's cute. It's 2014 and he thinks you can go to pharmacy school to "become rich." Carry on in your endeavors young man, may the wind be at your back and the sun always smile down on you.

Dude, he is supporting the economy. It's ok LOL. Let him be broke later on in life. As long as the economy keeps going up, we are going to benefit at his expense! :-D

Let's derail the thread a bit...

try to order a copy of credit report for yourself and also one for your parents :)

I did some research before this and found out that I'd be making a bit over 100k a year as a pharmacist. That's a good income, I could definitely live a moderate to high lifestyle. That's all I really want, a nice car, nice house, more than enough money to raise a family. I think with the income I'll be getting as a pharmacist I'll be able to pull this off a couple of years after I graduate. I will not let loans interfere with me living the lifestyle that I want after I graduate.

I did some research before this and found out that I'd be making a bit over 100k a year as a pharmacist. That's a good income, I could definitely live a moderate to high lifestyle. That's all I really want, a nice car, nice house, more than enough money to raise a family. I think with the income I'll be getting as a pharmacist I'll be able to pull this off a couple of years after I graduate. I will not let loans interfere with me living the lifestyle that I want after I graduate.

You are an incredibly self absorbed human being. It's a shame liberal arts education doesn't involve visiting the poor and seeing how hard life can really be.

You're likely to spend your entire life taking out more debts than you can service, paying 2-3 times what things cost in lost equity and interest, and never being happy with anything you have.

You are an incredibly self absorbed human being. It's a shame liberal arts education doesn't involve visiting the poor and seeing how hard life can really be.

You're likely to spend your entire life taking out more debts than you can service, paying 2-3 times what things cost in lost equity and interest, and never being happy with anything you have.

I don't care about what you think about me and I don't care about the living situations of the poor. I want to live a moderate to high lifestyle and I'm going to be doing just that. The second part of your post is just pointless, you have nothing good to contribute to me or this thread. You're just being bitter and stating random bits of information that don't apply to me.

I encourage you to go to pharmacy school and be 250k in debt or whatever amount you think is acceptable. You'll soon find out a low 6 figure income = middle class lifestyle if you're responsible. Go for it noob!

I don't care about what you think about me and I don't care about the living situations of the poor. I want to live a moderate to high lifestyle and I'm going to be doing just that. The second part of your post is just pointless, you have nothing good to contribute to me or this thread. You're just being bitter and stating random bits of information that don't apply to me.

You're a horrible human being. Sadly, society is producing those in spades lately.

You should take out some life insurance on your parents so when they die it pays off your student loans. That way you can really enjoy sucking the blood from them, they'll be worth so much more to you than they obviously are now.

I hope some day you can realize there is far more to life than just money. It won't make you happy. I'm 31 and I've been retired since I was 27. I served in the military a mere 15 months and walked away with a permanent retirement, the hard way. I pull in about half what a pharmacist does after taxes because my income isn't taxable. I'm not bitter, probably just older and seen a few things. The money is nice, and since I have no debts I live really good here in paradise, but it doesn't make you happy.

Last edited:

It's becoming more common to rack up 200-300K in student loans for those attending private schools.

Depending on the type of student loan, your interest is most likely building while you're attending pharmacy school.

We live in a country where people get married, raise kids, and make things work everyday with loans (student loans, mortgage, etc). The issue with many here is the amount of pharmacy school loans that is acceptable. Keep in mind, pharmacy school tuition has doubled or even tripled in the past 10 years. But, the starting salary for a new graduate in the past two to three years has stayed relatively the same and in some regions, lowered.

The answer to your question is you are right yet you are also wrong. You won't have to live like "poor trash for 15 years" but you won't be "rich" relying only on a pharmacist salary. The reality is the world isn't so black and white. There is a lot of grey areas. I believe you can get what you want, but with the current job/salary outlook, you may have to make more sacrifices and/or be more creative with investing your money than graduate have in the past.

Last edited:
It's becoming more common to rack up 200-300K in student loans for those attending private schools.

Depending on the type of student loan, your interest is most likely building while you're attending pharmacy school.

We live in a country where people get married, raise kids, and make things work everyday with loans (student loans, mortgage, etc). The issue with many here is the amount of pharmacy school loans that is acceptable. Keep in mind, pharmacy school tuition has doubled or even tripled in the past 10 years. But, the starting salary for a new graduate in the past two to three years has stayed relatively the same and in some regions, lowered.

The answer to your question is you are right yet you are also wrong. You won't have to live like "poor trash for 15 years" but you won't be "rich" relying only on a pharmacist salary. The reality is the world isn't so black and white. There is a lot of grey areas. I believe you can get what you want, but with the current job/salary outlook, you may have to make more sacrifices and/or be more creative with investing your money than graduate have in the past.

Thank you for this legitimate reply that has answered my question. As long as I know I won't have to be living such a poor lifestyle after graduating I am satisfied. You say I won't be rich either which is also fine. If you said that with my current situation I'd pretty much be doomed after graduation then I'd be a bit worried. Thanks for the re assurance, you bring positivity to this community unlike a majority of the rest who offer nothing but nonsense and ridicule.

You will be able to pay it back as long as you're gainfully employed after school.

The problem is that once you're making a lot of money, you will want to live a nice lifestyle. It's hard to be disciplined enough to put so much money towards your loans. But it can be done. Just know that you will likely not be living a moderate to high lifestyle. Like others have said, middle class is where it's at.

I always ask myself what I could do with an extra $2000/month. Oh well, maybe one of these days I'll get there.

What I just want are the hard facts of everything. Is the government going to hunt me down and ask for a minimum amount of money every month? And even if they do would I still be able to live a moderate to high lifestyle after I graduate even though I have these parent plus loans? That's all I'm worried about.
Let's completely ignore undergrad debt here, so forget about the parent plus and the other loans. If if you don't consider those, you're still going to have at least $150k in loans from pharmacy school alone. I graduated in 2013, had a bit over $140k in loans by the time I got my license and first paycheck (interest went up a few grand from graduation when you go through the "exit counseling"). My minimum payment on the 10 year plan is something like $1600. That is a huge payment to be the bare minimum. Remember that a $100k income will be hit harder by taxes than an average income, expect to take home around 2/3 of that, depending where you live. What was deposited in my bank account this week was 58.8% of my gross income, after tax, 401k, etc. So if you're looking at 100k gross, that's $58,800 that actually goes into your account. Now that $1600 monthly loan payment x 12 months = $19,200 for the year, you are left with $39,600. But you've still got rent, groceries, car payment, gas, cell phone, internet, etc, to take care of. I won't bother coming up with figures for those, because they vary depending where and how you live. Bottom line, when you're planning a budget, don't think of $100k salary. Think of a $39,600 salary, because that's what you'll have for 10 years.

Oh, and that was ignoring the undergrad loans. You still have those to pay too, so that $1600 monthly payment will be higher.

Reactions: 5 users
He only wants to live a moderate to high lifestyle!

I'm not in state public school. I'm going to a small private school.

Let me take a guess.... you are going to California Health Sciences University? Yup, another new, for profit pharmacy school that is starting this August.

Let's completely ignore undergrad debt here, so forget about the parent plus and the other loans. If if you don't consider those, you're still going to have at least $150k in loans from pharmacy school alone. I graduated in 2013, had a bit over $140k in loans by the time I got my license and first paycheck (interest went up a few grand from graduation when you go through the "exit counseling"). My minimum payment on the 10 year plan is something like $1600. That is a huge payment to be the bare minimum. Remember that a $100k income will be hit harder by taxes than an average income, expect to take home around 2/3 of that, depending where you live. What was deposited in my bank account this week was 58.8% of my gross income, after tax, 401k, etc. So if you're looking at 100k gross, that's $58,800 that actually goes into your account. Now that $1600 monthly loan payment x 12 months = $19,200 for the year, you are left with $39,600. But you've still got rent, groceries, car payment, gas, cell phone, internet, etc, to take care of. I won't bother coming up with figures for those, because they vary depending where and how you live. Bottom line, when you're planning a budget, don't think of $100k salary. Think of a $39,600 salary, because that's what you'll have for 10 years.

Oh, and that was ignoring the undergrad loans. You still have those to pay too, so that $1600 monthly payment will be higher.

Haven't you heard? OP only wants to hear positive comments that confirm his opinions. Get out of here with this realistic post.:p

Its amazing how many people fell for this troll.... :troll:

This entire thread may be the funniest thing I've ever read, but this part especially. Good God; this is comedic gold!