I majored in Nutrition & Dietetics, too late for an MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Feyona

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 23 years old and have just completed my degree in Nutrition and Dietetics. I did 6 months of internship in a hospital and now I'm stuck between deciding to go for a PhD in Nutrition (after masters) or going for an MD and being a general doctor. Is it too late?

I'm in California.

Would appreciate some good advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 23 years old and have just completed my degree in Nutrition and Dietetics. I did 6 months of internship in a hospital and now I'm stuck between deciding to go for a PhD in Nutrition (after masters) or going for an MD and being a general doctor. Is it too late?

I'm in California.

It's not too late. Most of us on this board are older than you at least by a few years, and we're all largely settled in our careers. To become a doctor you'll just have to find a way to get all of the premed garbage taken. I've got organic chemistry and physics. I'm sure you're already aware of what you need to do. Personally, in your position, if you're just out of school it'll probably be easier for you to go back and finish what you need. I would think you've already had general chemistry I and II as well as a couple of biologies so you could probably knock out the rest in a year. I'm sure you know you'll need good grades. Get some healthcare experience, take the MCAT, volunteer somewhere, which is really just a silly game premeds have to play, and apply. Hope for the best.

I'm in California.

You can major in anything that you like (as long as your uGPA is high) for medical school. You need to take the pre-med courses (if you don't already have them), do well in them (no grade less than B+/A-) and you need to do competitively on the [MCAT]Medical College Admissions Test (score above 31 without multiple retakes). If you are looking to stay in California, you need to make sure that your uGPA is as high as possible and that your MCAT is high also. California schools are very, very competitive in terms of admissions. Bottom line: you have your work cut out for you as getting into medical school is a process that takes firm focus on your long term goals and academic excellence at every step along the way. It's not impossible but make sure you are ready for the long haul in terms of dedication and interest.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm in California.

I too graduated with a degree in Dietetics in 2007. I did not complete an internship because our school did not have a coordinated program and because of my uncertainty about becoming an RD. First of all it is NOT too late! However, the longer you wait, the more likely you will forget many of the sciences and therefore may have to re-learn the concepts needed for the MCAT. I can tell you that I will be retaking gen chem 1 and organic 1 in order to re-learn the information. Also, many of your contacts/support/LOR potentials you may loose contact with the longer you wait. I understand your desire to obtain a Ph D in nutritional sciences and I would suggests talking with an unbiased third party maybe a therapist about possible career paths. I know the Dietetics department head was very disgruntled when I did not pursue an internship. She knew I would go far in the field.

Good luck and your not alone

Thank you all for your good advice!

I figured it wasn't too late but just needed the confirmation! Thanks for your support Sarah it's good to know there are other people like me :D and yea and I better get my game together and decide fast! I took loads of science courses; biology, microbiology, biochemistry, physiology, organic chemistry, quantitative analysis and all their labs! I have all the notes so I'll start looking over them again. I'll have to take courses in Physics and more Chemistry...

The next issue is that my grades aren't super great :( , but because I got my degree abroad (in Lebanon) I heard that the grading system will be more merciful for a foreign student, I'm American it's just that I studied abroad, would anyone know about that?

Thanks a bunch!

nutrition is an excellent major for premed.
lots of patient interactions.

I'm in California.

It is much too late for you. You really have no hope.

You look hot in your pic :thumbup:

Um ok bennie thanks (confused) :p

Anyways, my mom just got done telling me that not everyone is cut out to be a doctor, I agree with that but is it really true? put aside the seeing of blood and dealing with death, are people "born" to be doctors and others not? Or is it something you can grow into? I'm referring to the academic challenges.

Thanks

In my opinion, I don't think that some people are necessarily "born" to become doctors. I think that some people may know at a very early age that medicine is definitely something they want to do and feel that they were born to become physicians. I think that doctors aren't born, they are made and that you must make sure you take the necessary steps to be a great physician, and that means possessing the important skills of intelligence, empathy, compassion, and kindness that are the makings of a great doctor.

Don't let anyone discourage you. If you want it bad enough, you can do it. Just be 110% certain that this is right for you or else the work will be unbearable and you will feel stuck. Remember: its not worth doing if it is easy. Go for it!

you look hot! i second the notion!
also, born doctors? if doctors were born why would we need med schools to make them?

Last edited:
Yea thanks some good points... I know I'll have to want it really bad to actually do it, I'm the type of person that doesn't like studying basically because I don't like staying in one place for so long... but I'm pretty sure that I've matured, I do want it, and I'm going to at least try... better than regretting it...

Thank you all for your encouragement and support, you all are really helpful :)

God bless

Members don't see this ad :)
Um ok bennie thanks (confused) :p

Anyways, my mom just got done telling me that not everyone is cut out to be a doctor, I agree with that but is it really true? put aside the seeing of blood and dealing with death, are people "born" to be doctors and others not? Or is it something you can grow into? I'm referring to the academic challenges.

Thanks

lol. I was kididng. There are 50 year olds going into medicine, I wouldn't even consider you a non-trad really.

Not everyone is cut out to be a doctor because there are a lot of sacrifices to be made and there is SOME level of mental ability necessary. It isn't because of blood or wound comfort ability.

I think it may be too late if you were 70 years old, blind and deaf.

But seeing as you are in your early twenties all you need is a goal, determination, will, and persistence to finish the task.

good luck friend.

O ok that relieved me :)

Yea I totally get the sacrifice issue and certain level of mental ability, I have some friends going through it now and there are quite a bit of sacrifices to be made... I'm going to seriously need to assess the next few months carefully...

Thank you again.

O ok that relieved me :)

Yea I totally get the sacrifice issue and certain level of mental ability, I have some friends going through it now and there are quite a bit of sacrifices to be made... I'm going to seriously need to assess the next few months carefully...

Thank you again.

What you should do is find a way to shadow a doctor. Ask around people you know or just ask people at university hospitals, whatever. Find a way to shadow 5 shifts or something.

Then read all you can about the field, buy a few books and get a feel. Read good and bad stuff. Read the angry posters on this site who hate the medical field. Then make your decision.

:)

Hey Feyona,

I'm really interested in your story because I'm considering moving in exactly in the opposite direction. I had a similar undergrad major (Nutrition and Exercise), but was also pre-med and ready to apply to schools at the end of 4 years. Now, I've got cold feet and can't bring myself to make such a permanent decision about the rest of my life. I like the idea of seeing patients, helping them understand their problems and find solutions to improve their lives. I don't mind studying and I can work hard, but I just can't get over the idea of 80-hour workweeks or how I could stay balanced when so much of my time goes to my career.

What is it about the medical field that's calling your name? What will you be doing with your MD that you can't do as an RD or PhD in Nutrition?

Just curious because I was thinking about going back to do an RD and focusing on my efforts on the preventative side of wellness and healthy living. Even though there are vast differences between the two fields, I have never been interested in many of the medical opportunities (like surgery or hospital rounds). I just want to talk (and listen!) to people and help them make healthier decisions about nutrition, exercise, drugs, stress, sleep, etc.

I have to agree with the advice about shadowing, reading and looking into the field very carefully before committing yourself. There's nothing wrong with taking some classes you won't end up using, or even studying for an MCAT that you aren't going to use (even though it may be frustrating); it's medical school tuition that creates the point-of-no-return decision.

hi !!! just reviewed your statement but i have something where you can be completely occupied with your carrier or whatever at the same time if you follow what i have to say or give then the sky is the limit ... interested get in touch ; it's about nutrition & wellness ~~~ rgrds ````

hi !!! just reviewed your statement but i have something where you can be completely occupied with your carrier or whatever at the same time if you follow what i have to say or give then the sky is the limit ... interested get in touch ; it's about nutrition & wellness ~~~ rgrds ````

Let me tell you about my pyramid scheme carrier.

'Hey Oliver,

Thanks for your info...

Well the reason why I want to get an MD is because in my mind it's the maximum I can be. It's also a great way to minister and help people. The satisfaction you can get for saving someone's life?? I'm a religious person and my prayer was always that God would help me be the maximum I could be in my life... being a doctor seems to be that, you see? I am motivated, it's something I want to do...

I'm actually planning on continuing in Nutrition, getting my masters and then PhD, then going for an MD...

I know this kinda sounds crazy but it's a well rounded combination, don't you think?

Hi Feyona,
I hope you see this but have no idea if you will since this post is 5 years old... I'm just wondering what you ended up doing, I'm in a similar place as you. I am considering getting my Masters in Nutrition and then applying to Med school... or may simply just apply to Med school. I'm older though - 25, so am unsure if it's worth it to do a Master's program - yet I would really like to since nutrition is so important to me.