I met an SDNer!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Squad51

Paracelsus'es Love Child
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a soon-to-be fourth year, how many of you recent fourth years and residents met SDN folks on the trail? If you did, were they who/what you expected? Did you "offer up" your "on line" identity? Did they?

Interested to hear some stories...

Members don't see this ad.

The only SDNer I know I met was beary during our step 2 CS she is doing path. Thats the only one I know of..

Members don't see this ad :)
spyderdoc said:
I met DrQuinn, boy is she hot. :scared:

Also worked w/ Sessamoid.

I've read too many old posts to fall for this... but how hot was that avatar?

I had an SDN'er out me on a board after one of my coworkers recognized me from my post. It was amusing, since neither one knew the other was posting on here. I think the first big ED conference we incoming residents attend we'll have to fess up and meet up for a big drink up. Who's in?? (besides this poster, of course--gin martinin, extra dirty!!)

I had several occasions where I knew who they were but they didn't know who I was.

just couldn't bring myself to go all the way with them :D

12R34Y said:
I had several occasions where I knew who they were but they didn't know who I was.

just couldn't bring myself to go all the way with them :D

O.k., were they who / what you expected or are we all the proverbial 40 yo balding men masquerading as 16 year old virgins on the internet...?

Squad51 said:
O.k., were they who / what you expected or are we all the proverbial 40 yo balding men masquerading as 16 year old virgins on the internet...?

no.......not 40y/o's who were balding. Just 26-30y/o's who had full heads of hair and were pretending to be 16y/o virgins on the internet. :eek:

DrQuinn said:
I really need to find that old avatar.

Where the hell is old Sessamoid? Its been atleast 6 months...

Q

I've been wondering about this avatar people keep talking about too. A few times it was posted as an 'inside' joke or something. she must have been nice looking?

JackBauERfan said:
I've been wondering about this avatar people keep talking about too. A few times it was posted as an 'inside' joke or something. she must have been nice looking?

also, my vote tonight is on Miss Alabama!! but I am a bit biased.

ok, non biased opinion likes Miss Florida (hard to beat the south!)

JackBauERfan said:
At the time the avatars were limited to something like 32pixelsx32pixels so it was more the power of suggestion in Quinns flirtatious manner more than anything else. For all I could really tell she could have just as easily been my grandmother

Members don't see this ad :)
On the interview trail, no less than half a dozen times were people able to guess I was CorpsmanUP just from something I said. Foughtfyr figured me out at the pre-interview dinner, and then MD062b did the same at Pitt. Mike did at Case (he knows it wasn't hard though), and our nose picking friend the EMJunkie discovered me in El Paso as did Jaida. WilcoWorld figured me out in Chicago, and of course Jeff knew me at Scott and White.

Word to the wise applicants of 2007.....create a screen name that has nothing at all to do with your real life. Something like EM-Nose-Picker, or Crabinfested, or OnychoMyToes's!!!

corpsmanUP said:
the EMJunkie discovered me in El Paso as did Jaida. !!

I'll take credit too. It's not just your name. You radiate uniqueness.:D

corpsmanUP said:
On the interview trail, no less than half a dozen times were people able to guess I was CorpsmanUP just from something I said. Foughtfyr figured me out at the pre-interview dinner, and then MD062b did the same at Pitt. Mike did at Case (he knows it wasn't hard though), and our nose picking friend the EMJunkie discovered me in El Paso as did Jaida. WilcoWorld figured me out in Chicago, and of course Jeff knew me at Scott and White.

Word to the wise applicants of 2007.....create a screen name that has nothing at all to do with your real life. Something like EM-Nose-Picker, or Crabinfested, or OnychoMyToes's!!!

:laugh: People tend to figure me out quickly, too. I guess I must reek of DrMom-ness...whatever that means. ;)

Haha! Watch - after all the lengths I've gone to in order to protect my identity, someone will approach me at my FIRST interview and say, "You're socute, aren't you?"

So everyone seems to be missing my question... Where you surprised by the individual you met in real life or were they pretty much as you expected from SDN? I'll give you a "for instance" - Corpsman, you met Mike, Jeff and Foughtfyr. Three of the more prolific posters (except FF who seems to have left the building). Were they the same in real life as they are on the 'net?

I'm probably the only one, but I imagine all of you to be 22 year old, well-endowed blonde models.

I'm sure reality would sorely disappoint me.

GeneralVeers said:
I'm probably the only one, but I imagine all of you to be 22 year old, well-endowed blonde models.

I'm sure reality would sorely disappoint me.
I think we should let you believe it ;)

docB said:
I've always assumed that Squad51 looks exactly like Roy DeSoto ;) .

Closer to Chet...

corpsmanUP said:
Yeah, I finally got around to creating a gmail account that's my actual name, not "febrifuge." That should come in handy at app time. Especially since I also have a blog (which hopefully would demonstrate a long history of good humour and maturity/ competence, if it came to it).

I drove in a snowstorm to shadow FoughtFyr on an overnight shift in his ED, but that doesn't count because we "met" here first and there was no cloak-and-dagger aspect at all.

EDIT: ah, I get the question now. Um, well, FF is physically more imposing than the laid-back persona expressed here most of the time. Sure, people can get him going about a certain non-medical healing discipline, but he's respectful and thorough in those discussions. If those discussions happened face-to-face, more people would back the heck down.

EM-nose-picker, now why didn't I think of that?? :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though; I have met Corpsman, Jaida8, BKN, and Quinn on the trail.

Nobody was much of a suprise, although I hadn't read too many posts from Jaida before meeting her, met BKN before he became the prolific poster he is now. Quinn was as expected, although I hadn't seen the pic of his cheerleader posse at that time. Corpsman was pretty much as expected as well...

Enjoy the trail! It was a great experience!

Agree about Foughtfyr...the man is a freaking brick monument! BKN was laid back, and way more informal than you would expect from a PD (that's a good thing). I thought MD2b06 was quite a cutie...and packed with some serious attitude!! (That was a good thing too). EMJunkie was quite timid, as was Jaida. Both were very nice though. MikeCWRU was hilarious, exactly like his personality here. No big surprises.....except for Foughtfyr who for whatever reason has left the premesis. Hopefully he'll come back....I have his email but he is not replying to it either right now.

corpsmanUP said:
Agree about Foughtfyr...the man is a freaking brick monument! BKN was laid back, and way more informal than you would expect from a PD (that's a good thing). I thought MD2b06 was quite a cutie...and packed with some serious attitude!! (That was a good thing too). EMJunkie was quite timid, as was Jaida. Both were very nice though. MikeCWRU was hilarious, exactly like his personality here. No big surprises.....except for Foughtfyr who for whatever reason has left the premesis. Hopefully he'll come back....I have his email but he is not replying to it either right now.

Timid?? Ouch! Give a guy a break on his first interview!!

EMDrMoe said:
I think we should let you believe it ;)
I've seen you in real life, you are a well endowed blonde. Ok, I tried not to look too often......... but how do you think you ended up at USF? :)
J/K

Q

DrQuinn said:
I've seen you in real life, you are a well endowed blonde. Ok, I tried not to look too often......... but how do you think you ended up at USF? :)
J/K

Q

USF, USC, and UC-Davis all have strict blondeness and hotness codes for residents.

ERMudPhud said:
For all I could really tell she could have just as easily been my grandmother

Dude, I have GOT to meet your grandmother! That avatar was hot.

BTW, where can I see this Quinn cheerleader posse I keep hearing about? I'm feeling left out!!!

As for the original question, most of the SDNers I've met haven't suprised me all that much. Panda Bear, on the other hand, truly shocked me. I met him in El Paso and, I think, Arkansas.

For someone who brags about being a conservative the long hair, birkinstock sandles and Hillary-for-President T-shirt was sort of a shock. Not to mention strange interview attire.

Take care,
Jeff

PS, FF is not small.

Jeff, you have to check out Quinn's MySpace account to see the picture. I will leave it to him if he wants to post it here directly or not!

Enjoy!

DrQuinn said:
J/K

Q
Blonde, maybe ;) I think I fall short of the well-endowed category though. I do smile a lot, lol! :D

DrQuinn said:
J/K

Q

Hey Quinn -

Is there a residency program where you're going? I'm a well-endowed blonde myself - I'll make sure to put your program on my list here in a couple of years. ;)

Quinn
FF
peski

a few others that don't post as often...

roja said:
Quinn
FF
peski

a few others that don't post as often...
You got me beat I haven't met FF I have met
Quinn and peski. Others tooI am sure but who could they be??????
For the OP, Quinn was more male then I expected and alot less "girl next door" cute.
As for Peski, I was a brand new ms3 and still terrified of attendings that I didn't know. He was super cool, real friendly and nice.

Emergency! said:
Hey Quinn -

Is there a residency program where you're going? I'm a well-endowed blonde myself - I'll make sure to put your program on my list here in a couple of years. ;)
Interview at the Georgetown EM program in a couple of years......... please!

But don't tell my wife.
Q

EM Junkie said:
Jeff, you have to check out Quinn's MySpace account to see the picture. I will leave it to him if he wants to post it here directly or not!

Enjoy!
618122057_l.jpg

Oh, now that's just heartbreaking.

Take care,
Jeff

I met a bunch of SDN'ers (including 2 PD's and several attendings), that all would start off by saying "I've seen your posts on SDN...I love your avitar". Although, I guess that it doesn't take all that much investigative genious to figure out my name :D