I need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

go vols

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 24 years old and just starting pre med classes, I am married and a father of two great little boys so my time in school must be as productive as possible. I have always wanted to become an M.D. although i never acted on the idea untill now, or did i know what field i wanted to be in. On november 4 2k8 i lost my large intestine and colon in a major emergency surgery and sent three months in the hosital, while it was awful i did have the chance to meet some cancer patients during my stay and i really feel that that is where i want to be.Are there any med schools that would better prepare me for a career in oncology,and are there any other websites that may be any help to me, or suggestions on volunteer work, Im very greatful for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

I run several volunteering programs at a very competitive hospital, I'm turning 25 and I just applied this year. I'm not really non-traditional but not really traditional either.

Anyways, I have some volunteers who are 27-31 and just started their premed classes. So you are not the only one! I have found a lot of people that pursue medicine later in life. Actually a recent doctor told me that having kids was 10X harder than medical school, lol.

Since you are non-traditional you need to:

1. Do Excellent in your premed class
2. Do well on your MCATs
3. Seek medical experiences (volunteering mainly, medical missions)
4. Start collecting some good LOR (from employers since you are non-trad)
5. Don't be afraid to brag about what you do know besides medicine. Like previous jobs and what they have taught you. Medical schools sometimes like people in different fields b/c they bring different skills to the table.

Good luck!

The above advice is absolutely right-on. I think any medical school could prepare you well for oncology - it's a subspeciality residency following a 3yr internal medicine residency, I believe.

It is a long road, but you are still very young! Go for it if you really think this is what you want to do.

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I am really sorry to hear about your past medical condition, but as we can see God has left you here because you got many things to do in life, one which might be becoming a physician and helping others.

As far as specific medical schools preparing a student better for oncology doesnt really exist. All premeds go through 99% the same process and all medical students do the same. Premeds are required to take a year of Biology, a year of General Chem, a year of Physics and a year of Organic Chemistry. Some additional courses are advised for MCAT prep such as biochemistry, physiology, genetics and cell bio.

Once you are in medical school, either MD or DO, all the four years all students follow the same course schedule which is divided in to the first two didactic years and the two clinical years. In these clinical years you do rotations on several medical specialties, once done then you apply to residencies...

For Oncology, there are certain schools that have better programs then other, although you would need to do Internal Medicine and then follow with an oncology subspecialty.

Again, welcome to the forum and good luck on all your dreams.

Eduardo