I need some advice about future career choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xw1231

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore in college. I've always wanted to go into the medical field and thought about medical school, but it's a long road ahead and I'm not sure if I can even make it into grad school. Then, I thought about going into respiratory therapy b/c it seemed like a promising job. So, I applied and was accepted into the Respiratory Therapy Program. At first, I thought my life was on the right track, but then after much thought I wasn't sure if I want to become a respiratory therapist b/c I would only make $50k/year for the rest of my life. I thought about continuing with my studies and getting into med school after graduating with a RT degree, but I wasn't sure if that was ok in regards to the medical board. Will I have a better chance of getting into med school with a RT degree or will it hurt my chances b/c I took someone's place in becoming an RT? I just want some advice and guidance from people, especially from those who have gone through similar difficult situations as me. Thank you and I really appreciate some feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can give a good explanation on why you switched careers then you will be ok. And if you aren't sure if medical school is right for you then an option is to start off shadowing doctors and see if it is something you like, then maybe start taking pre-req's and see if you can handle the course work and just take baby steps, see how it goes and go from there.