I really don't know what to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bello

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are really awful, I know.
sGPA 3.40, cGPA 3.54
MCAT 495 (126/124/122/123)
I'm planning on taking the MCAT again in June and hopefully I get better scores.

EC: I have around 200 hours of medical volunteer work. 160 hours of work at school. 2000+ hours of general leadership outside school (non-medical). 64 hours of shadowing.

I failed this cycle of application. But I want to do something that will improve my application.
Any advice or recommendations of what I can do to get into med school? Do I have any chance of getting in?

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice or recommendations of what I can do to get into med school?
  1. Crush the MCAT on your retake. Don't retake until you're consistently scoring at least 510 on practice exams, even if that means postponing it.
  2. Strongly consider a post-bacc.
  3. Apply widely to both MD and DO programs.
Do I have any chance of getting in?
Yes, if you do what I said above. The MCAT is by far your biggest liability.

1. Crush the MCAT on your retake. Don't retake until you're consistently scoring at least 510 on practice exams, even if that means postponing it.
  2. Strongly consider a post-bacc.
  3. Apply widely to both MD and DO programs.
Yes, if you do what I said above. The MCAT is by far your biggest liability.

Post-bacc... I'm considering it. But everything is just way too complicated. So if I do decide to do a post-bacc, can I not reapply next cycle? And do you have any recommendation for post-bacc program?

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I do decide to do a post-bacc, can I not reapply next cycle?
You can reapply whenever you want, but as @gonnif has pointed out many times, the biggest mistake of most reapplicants is reapplying too soon. As I said, the MCAT is by far your biggest liability. You need to make absolutely sure you're ready before you retake it. If you're not ready in June, you should postpone it and skip applying this cycle. If you take it unprepared in order to reapply sooner, you'll have another failed cycle plus a second crap MCAT score weighing you down. Personally, I think you should skip a cycle anyway so you can make sure you've got your app optimized.

The post-bacc is your choice. Your GPA is fine for DO programs. If I were you, DO is the direction I'd be looking.

And do you have any recommendation for post-bacc program?
I don't, I'm not well-versed on the particulars of various formal post-bacc programs. Perhaps someone else on here can give you better guidance there. You can always do a DIY post-bacc, too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
What do you mean "everything is just too complicated", in reference to post-bacc programs? They should be a cakewalk compared to medical school...

With your GPAs, doing a DIY postbac is the least riskiest. A formal SMP is really risky/intense/expensive and if you don't do well in it, your med school dream will likely dim considerably more (if not gone). With the DIY PB, just take enough upper level division science courses at at 4 year to pull your GPAs up to 3.6-3.7 cGPA and 3.6+ sGPA. Do the calculations to determine how many credits you need.

While doing this, continue to volunteer, and study/crush the 2nd MCAT. Take about 1-2 years to do this. Rushing to apply again quickly is not advised. Medschool will still be here when you reapply.

Reactions: 1 users
With your GPAs, doing a DIY postbac is the least riskiest. A formal SMP is really risky/intense/expensive and if you don't do well in it, your med school dream will likely dim considerably more (if not gone). With the DIY PB, just take enough upper level division science courses at at 4 year to pull your GPAs up to 3.6-3.7 cGPA and 3.6+ sGPA. Do the calculations to determine how many credits you need.

While doing this, continue to volunteer, and study/crush the 2nd MCAT. Take about 1-2 years to do this. Rushing to apply again quickly is not advised. Medschool will still be here when you reapply.

About doing DIY post-bacc, is it just retaking science classes at another school?
Also, you don't think it's a good idea to reapply this year?

What do you mean "everything is just too complicated", in reference to post-bacc programs? They should be a cakewalk compared to medical school...

Idk.. all the deadlines are different and I don't quite understand the concept of it. Some of them are undergrad, grad, masters, certificate, etc. I'm just not informed at all about PB programs. My school is weird and nobody did any sort of post-bacc, so I didn't have a chance to hear lots about it.

About doing DIY post-bacc, is it just retaking science classes at another school?
Not with that MCAT

Do not reapply this cycle! It will be a giant waste of money and time. There is no point in reapplying if you have not significantly improved your app. Doing a DIY post-bacc is very easy you just look at 4-year institutions and email their admissions and let them know you are interested in taking additional undergraduate courses as a non-degree seeking student.

However, like others have said your biggest issue is the MCAT. Assuming you are not a URM, if you bring it up to a 505 you would be competitive at any DO school, and if you bring it up significantly around 508-510 you might have a chance at whatever your In-state Medical School is and possibly lower tier medical schools.

Only retake a science course you have taken in your undergrad in the DIY PB if you received a grade below a C. Otherwise you must take new 3000-4000 level science courses at either your undergrad or another 4 year institution (whichever is the cheapest).

With your first MCAT score, it is clear you have a deficiency in the study method. As @HomeSkool advised, unless in your restudying, you are getting 510+ scores on new practice exams, you will need more time to improve on them before you rush into a second MCAT unprepared and getting another disastrous score.

Don't rush this process. Don't be impatient and screw up this 2nd chance!!!

Reactions: 1 users