Haven’t heard back, nervous and don’t know what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annuk

Reaction score
Hello! Currently on a gap year, applying to the 2019 cycle as a second time reapplication. Currently I applied to 30 MD schools and 10 DO programs, and haven’t gotten any interviews except for one, which I was waitlisted for.

My stats include:
-GPA: 3.84
-MCAT (taken3 times): 499, 505, 511.
-100+ of benchwork research including a poster presentation
-peer leader for life science calc for a semester
-honors thesis work on communications in healthcare
-medical service trip to panama
- relay for life organizer and leader for 3 years
- meal on wheel worker
- dance captain currently of an all state team
- volunteer dance instructor currently for Indian classical classes and ballet
- 300+ volunteering hospital hours
- shadowing of 6 different physicians (3 orthopedics, 1 oncologist and hemotogist, 1 internist, and 1 pediatrician)
- and active member in clubs at university and 2 dance studios for the 3 years I was in undergrad.
- graduated with magma cum laude.
- honors college degree
- biomedical sciences major with a minor in nutritional science.
- graduated may 2018, finishing my degree at 21 in three years time.
- also I am an Asian Indian female

Currently in my gap year, im still researching at my lab and got a job as a sales associate at a clothing store to expand my communication skills. Also I’m captaining an all state Indian dance team, traveling, and shadowing. Also
I just got a scribe job.

I’m starting to get nervous about my chances. Some people say I should start thinking about my future as a reapplicant and other stay I have a chance to get in. Idk what to do: study and take my mcat again, work on building my resume, or even explore schools in the Caribbean.

ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME PLZ HELP.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
When did you submit your app? I think your application looks pretty solid and believe that you’ll get more II’s, but when you submitted and completed your secondaries can be a game changer. It doesn’t hurt to start working on a new personal statement for the next cycle

When did you submit your app? I think your application looks pretty solid and believe that you’ll get more II’s, but when you submitted and completed your secondaries can be a game changer. It doesn’t hurt to start working on a new personal statement for the next cycle

I submitted my primary the first day it opened and then I finished all my primaries for my home state beginning of August and finished the rest by September. Did some other ones I got and finished by beginning of October.

It is most likely nothing you are doing or NOT doing but rather that there are few spots and many more people vying for said spots. I was in your shoes not long ago and my best piece of advice is to not take things personally and to not wrap your self-worth up in this process. I have had friends get interviews as late as April and they got in that year. It is all a crap shoot. Also, if you need to do multiple cycles remember that you are not the first and won’t be the last. I myself needed two cycles to get into med school.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
You have a great app! You're doing all the right things. The numbers aren't working in your favor though, which is a tough pill to have to swallow. Make sure to update schools!

A few questions:

What was your school list?

What kind of program gave you an interview (DO/MD)?

Why do you think you got waitlisted? You can still get in off it!

Why aren't you getting DO interviews? Did you have a DO LOR?

Did you have people go over your personal statement?

Did you get interviews last cycle?

You have a great app! You're doing all the right things. The numbers aren't working in your favor though, which is a tough pill to have to swallow. Make sure to update schools!

A few questions:

What was your school list?

What kind of program gave you an interview (DO/MD)?

Why do you think you got waitlisted? You can still get in off it!

Why aren't you getting DO interviews? Did you have a DO LOR?

Did you have people go over your personal statement?

Did you get interviews last cycle?

1. My school list was all the Florida schools (FL resident), SUNY, wake forest, Tulane, Michigan state, morehouse, Rosalind Franklin, Illinois, temple, Drexel, Oakland, Toledo, rush, Rutgers, Wright, Jefferson, a couple more but I can’t remember.
2. UCF medical school
3. I got feedback about that! And I’m working to boost the areas they felt I lacked in.
4. Not sure... that’s why I’m worried bc it was my fall back. And no I didn’t! Should I ask for one?
5. Yes I did! Hired a service to help me with it.
6. No I didn’t, I only applied to 6 schools bc I didn’t think my score was high enough (when I had a 505)

What did you mean about the numbers not being in my favor?

How'd your UCF interview go? I'm also an FL resident/second time reapplicant and am just starting to receive some IIs. So don't give your hopes up just yet. Also don't retake MCAT. A 511 is fine, a 4th MCAT is not ideal.

Remember to update schools and show your continued interest in their programs. My only critique would be more consistent volunteerism with the underserved? I see you have meal on wheels stuff but idk if that's consistent. Other than that, I am surprised about the lack of love from DO schools for you. Maybe this stems from the stuff UCF gave you feedback on?

Reactions: 1 user
What did you mean about the numbers not being in my favor?

Sorry I was vague. I mean just so many people applying with good applications vs # of spots available.

Definitely try to shadow a DO to get a LOR for the next year. I think a lot of DO schools appreciate seeing you've spent time shadowing a DO. Seems like your school list is ok. If you reapply next year, you're going to have to apply even more broadly. Make sure you continue to get strong clinical experiences!!! You need to revamp your PS for next year so that you show some new activities and growth (easier said than done!).

Sorry I was vague. I mean just so many people applying with good applications vs # of spots available.

Definitely try to shadow a DO to get a LOR for the next year. I think a lot of DO schools appreciate seeing you've spent time shadowing a DO. Seems like your school list is ok. If you reapply next year, you're going to have to apply even more broadly. Make sure you continue to get strong clinical experiences!!! You need to revamp your PS for next year so that you show some new activities and growth (easier said than done!).

So my chances to get in are low?

Also this is my full list of schools, not counting DO
IMG_0115.JPG

IMHO, if you don't get another interview this cycle or get pulled off the waitlist, your chances are low (at least MD-wise), even for the upcoming cycle. I think your school list for next cycle needs to be DO-heavy, with your state schools sprinkled in. If I had to guess, it's really the 3 MCATs that are doing you in, with two of those being sub-optimal scores. You should totally not reapply next cycle and you should not retake the MCAT, as somebody has already mentioned. You need to offset the MCAT performances with a lot of clinical time, whether that's paid or unpaid. This way, you can get clinical experiences and/or LORs that will bolster your application and your essays, because next cycle you'll have two strikes against you: those MCATs and being a reapplicant.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not sure what your actual chances are, but since you have only one interview this cycle, you should prepare for the worst at this point IMO. Just keep continuing to improve.

This one is easy. Lack of primary care shadowing. If you want DO, you have to shadow primary care.

Where did you apply? school-list, letters, or essays might be the issue. If you need to reapply next year you need to rewrite everything and add some kind of new application asset. Just so you have something to say you improved upon if asked.

You are too good for the Caribbean. You've clearly worked your ass off for this and owe it to yourself to give it another try.

Also, scribing, and doing research, and being a sales associate is an awful lot to start at once. You might be spreading yourself very thin and getting no quality experiences from these activities? Are you able to articulate what you learned in your essays?

Also, "I took a bad retail job not for the money but to learn how to talk to people" is a very weird way to phrase things. It comes across like "yes I'm slumming it with these hicks so i can help them/learn to be a real human" The very act of describing working a job not out of necessity or because you need money, but to "see the real world" comes off as a little entitled. Obviously people don't write essays like SDN posts but keep that in mind. I mean Goro and LizzyM have certainly both discussed how working a real job adds value to an application, but still.

Where did you apply? school-list, letters, or essays might be the issue. If you need to reapply next year you need to rewrite everything and add some kind of new application asset. Just so you have something to say you improved upon if asked.

You are too good for the Caribbean. You've clearly worked your ass off for this and owe it to yourself to give it another try.

Also, scribing, and doing research, and being a sales associate is an awful lot to start at once. You might be spreading yourself very thin and getting no quality experiences from these activities? Are you able to articulate what you learned in your essays?

Also, "I took a bad retail job not for the money but to learn how to talk to people" is a very weird way to phrase things. It comes across like "yes I'm slumming it with these hicks so i can help them/learn to be a real human" The very act of describing working a job not out of necessity or because you need money, but to "see the real world" comes off as a little entitled. Obviously people don't write essays like SDN posts but keep that in mind. I mean Goro and LizzyM have certainly both discussed how working a real job adds value to an application, but still.

Oh I definitely didn’t mean to come across this way at all. I took the job bc I always wanted to do retail bc I love fashion and helping other explore fashion. I meant to say that working as an associate has allowed me to develop more patience, learn how to work as a team, and learn to provide a service through fashion. These similar ideas are applicable to the medical field.

I know the wait can be agony. Your MCAT might be an issue at some places but you've done all you can on the matter. And if anyone is going to be forgiving of that it will be DO schools.

Between meals on wheels, shadowing, and research you have ECs that, at a glance, seem to appeal to most programs except maybe top-tier research places. I would recommend sharing your school list with some of the adcoms here.

It may be a lot of your choices have regional biases. How late did you submit?

I know the wait can be agony. Your MCAT might be an issue at some places but you've done all you can on the matter. And if anyone is going to be forgiving of that it will be DO schools.

Between meals on wheels, shadowing, and research you have ECs that, at a glance, seem to appeal to most programs except maybe top-tier research places. I would recommend sharing your school list with some of the adcoms here.

It may be a lot of your choices have regional biases. How late did you submit?

I submitted the primary the first day it opened and the secondaries by the beginning of October.
IMG_6653.JPG

Here is my list of MDs and I have 12 DO schools

Secondaries by October is a bit late. Maybe okay for DO? But invites really start going out around labor day. So you may have missed a few waves.

Places like Drexel, Temple, and Tulane are great because they have middling stats and interview a lot of people. GW and Goergetown also would have been good choices. They're low yield and get 15k apps, but they have no IS preference.
ome of yours, like SUNY have heavy in state biases. Morehouse is a black school and you need to show a strong connection to the AA community.

You should invest in an MSAR if you haven't. It 'sounds' like your app strategy may not have been sound?

@Goro probably has better advice on school list.

Last edited:
  • What was your sGPA?
  • How did you write your work/activities section? Did you have the service look over that too?
  • What exactly did you do at the hospital as a volunteer?
  • Did you have anyone else other than the PS service look over your PS?
  • What was the feedback you got from UCF?

OP being a 3x MCAT taker puts you in a hole. You have very good ECs, and so I'm thinking that your trouble was your schools list and your essays.

Here's my list:
U VM
U Miami
U Toledo
Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Tufts
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
SLU
WVU
Wayne State
Tulane
Loyola
Wake Forest
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
VCU
Netter
Seton Hall
EVMS
Oakland-B
Gtown
GWU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
Your state school(s).
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

Rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them,