I think I need a mentor, any takers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

promotemma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year DO who is about to begin a transitional year program with the intent to reapply next year to psychiatry. My scores and evals are competitive, but aside from that I'm pretty much a waif. Our school's psychiatry dept is a PhD, so no help there. I'm interested in public psychiatry, working with the underserved, healthcare services implementation, disparities and advocacy. I've gotten about as far as I can without direction and find myself in pretty dire need of some.

* Obviously, I would like to improve my chances of getting into a good residency, but mostly I'm interested in learning how to become an active participant in the psychiatric community.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you will settle for just receiving some advice, perhaps you want to try and get involved with some research during your transitional year. Given that you will have a full clinical schedule it might be difficult to get any other type of experience that helps substantiate your commitment to psychiatry, but if you worked hard you could do something like a small qualitative study or educational research project relevant to psychiatry that may be publishable. This forum might be a good place to receive some advice on the types of activities that you could engage in to improve your odds, but as you have identified any worthwhile activity is going to require a more hands on, committed mentor. Perhaps you can identify someone at the facility you will be doing your transitional year.

If you will settle for just receiving some advice, perhaps you want to try and get involved with some research during your transitional year. Given that you will have a full clinical schedule it might be difficult to get any other type of experience that helps substantiate your commitment to psychiatry, but if you worked hard you could do something like a small qualitative study or educational research project relevant to psychiatry that may be publishable. This forum might be a good place to receive some advice on the types of activities that you could engage in to improve your odds, but as you have identified any worthwhile activity is going to require a more hands on, committed mentor. Perhaps you can identify someone at the facility you will be doing your transitional year.

The PD of the transitional year is a Surgeon, aside from that the only other programs offered are FM and IM. My best option is the PD for FM at this point, but would really like a psychiatric mentor. I have two elective months for non-clinical patient care which could include research. I lack a background in research and the hospital is small so I doubt it's a large focus. Perhaps I'll reach out to their research coordinator for advice. I've emailed my state's APA chapter to see if there is something I could help with in the arena of policy/advocacy with no response. I've emailed the AIMS center to see if there's something I could do remotely with them as I REALLY enjoy the sound of the collaborative care model and haven't heard back yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say target a few programs that you're interested in, and see if they can match you with an away research advisor. You might be able to visit for those months and do the work. If you particularly find a lab with an existing data set you can continue to work remotely on analyzing the data (with guidance).

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say target a few programs that you're interested in, and see if they can match you with an away research advisor. You might be able to visit for those months and do the work. If you particularly find a lab with an existing data set you can continue to work remotely on analyzing the data (with guidance).

That's kind of where I was heading with AIMS as it's affiliated with UW, but now I will reach out more directly to a few other programs. Thank you for the advice.

I'm a 4th year DO who is about to begin a transitional year program with the intent to reapply next year to psychiatry. My scores and evals are competitive, but aside from that I'm pretty much a waif. Our school's psychiatry dept is a PhD, so no help there. I'm interested in public psychiatry, working with the underserved, healthcare services implementation, disparities and advocacy. I've gotten about as far as I can without direction and find myself in pretty dire need of some.

* Obviously, I would like to improve my chances of getting into a good residency, but mostly I'm interested in learning how to become an active participant in the psychiatric community.

What kind of circumstances lead to this scenario? It's talked about here on SDN how psychiatry is a fairly easy residency to match. What happened?

What kind of circumstances lead to this scenario? It's talked about here on SDN how psychiatry is a fairly easy residency to match. What happened?

Applying broadly without accepting interviews broadly, mostly.

Is there anyone doing psych consults in your hospital? What happens to your med/surg pts with mental health needs? You might find someone (at least to have coffee with and get friendly career advice from) that way...

Reactions: 1 users
Is there anyone doing psych consults in your hospital? What happens to your med/surg pts with mental health needs? You might find someone (at least to have coffee with and get friendly career advice from) that way...

This is what I did as a DO student with no mentorship opportunities in school. It was very helpful for me as even on "off rotations" I could spend time with them and get perspective and teaching.

This is what I did as a DO student with no mentorship opportunities in school. It was very helpful for me as even on "off rotations" I could spend time with them and get perspective and teaching.

I believe there is 1 or 2 psychiatrist and a couple mid-levels that do consults at the hospital. I will try to spend some time with them on my off rotations. I did a FM rotation in my 3rd year and delivered a presentation during didactic on a particular topic. Would volunteering to do psych related topic presentations as refreshers for the FM/IM residents and faculty throughout my transitional year be of value? It would be education for me for sure, but could I include that on my CV?

I believe there is 1 or 2 psychiatrist and a couple mid-levels that do consults at the hospital. I will try to spend some time with them on my off rotations. I did a FM rotation in my 3rd year and delivered a presentation during didactic on a particular topic. Would volunteering to do psych related topic presentations as refreshers for the FM/IM residents and faculty throughout my transitional year be of value? It would be education for me for sure, but could I include that on my CV?
It will certainly raise your profile as a potential psychiatrist, and sounds like it's good for everyone involved.

Not really an easy match for DO's anymore. I had a pretty darn competitive application myself (USMLE/COMLEX, LOR, grades, etc), applied/interviewed rule of 1/3s and went way down on my ROL. I'm sure it's regional as well, since a bulk of my programs were on the east coast. Don't treat it like an easy match...

Reactions: 1 users
Not really an easy match for DO's anymore. I had a pretty darn competitive application myself (USMLE/COMLEX, LOR, grades, etc), applied/interviewed rule of 1/3s and went way down on my ROL. I'm sure it's regional as well, since a bulk of my programs were on the east coast. Don't treat it like an easy match...
Crap.

It will certainly raise your profile as a potential psychiatrist, and sounds like it's good for everyone involved.

Aside from needing to pop a propanolol, it sounds like fun too. I think based on what everyone is contributing, I've got the right idea in terms of trying to broaden my scope of thinking from just diagnosing and treating individual patients. In some odd way, I think this not matching thing might turn out well.

Reactions: 2 users