I took a year off after college for mental health issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlexD95

Reaction score
I graduated last May and decided to take a year off to work on my anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts (Sorry if it's TMI). I'm taking the OAT in November. If I get any interviews, I don't know how I'm gonna explain this, I did not have a job or an internship or anything meaningful I just needed some time off from everything to deal with my issues. Is it even acceptable to talk about this during interviews when they ask why I took a year off? Would it jeopardize my chances of getting accepted? Should I lie and make something up or just be honest? Also is my application considered late? I know the optomcas opened in June

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here are my two cents. There are lots of people in my optometry class who took time off between undergrad and optometry school for a variety of reasons. Can I say that I know of someone who is in your exact shoes? No, but I bet it's not unheard of - depression is very common, something like 1/6 adults will experience depression at some point. Your mental health is important and should be a priority in your life.

Do not lie on Optomcas, references are needed for everything that you say you did, and it is not uncommon that your references are contacted to verify what you said is true. If you get an interview somewhere, there is no guarantee that someone will ask about your year off. But if you get asked this, do not lie/make something up. There is no shame in being real and truthful with what you were struggling with. People can usually see right through it if you make something up. If you are doing better now, that's great news. Just be able to cite some strategies you've learned that helped you along the way. Optometry school is very hard and stressful, admissions will likely want to make sure you have ways of handling the pressure. They like seeing people who are proactive in combating adversity.

Your application is not considered late, it's advised to send in your app before Thanksgiving though.

Reactions: 1 user
"I took a gap year because I felt like I needed a break."
Not lying, and saying anything that will hurt your chances for acceptance.

I would not volunteer more than that. If you're a marginal candidate, it could hurt your chances.

Hey can you please message me I tried to message you but it didn't go through. I have similar experiences