I was dismissed and got into a new school, Pt. 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theResilient

Reaction score
Hello again forum. As hinted at in the title, this post is somewhat of follow-up question to a thread I started months ago. In summary, 3 years ago, I was unjustly dismissed from my former medical school. For more details, please read my initial post. Fast forward to today. As of now, I am deciding between going to a Caribbean medical school or going to law school. I know that even if I graduate from a Caribbean school that my chances of getting into residency are slim, that's a discussion for another day, and why I'm leaning towards law school. Regardless, I have conditional acceptance from 2 med schools in January, dependent on a letter from my former school's Dean detailing the circumstances and official reason behind my dismissal. As you will see from my initial post in this forum, several members doubted my claim that the dismissal was unwarranted. My current situation is showing that those doubts are unfounded. The Dean of my former school is actively avoiding my repeated requests for a letter. As I stated in one of my replies in my original post, the actual reason behind my dismissal was never written out. I believe the Dean is avoiding my request because it would force him to write out the reason behind my dismissal, opening up the school to a lawsuit from me, because, as I've stated, my dismissal was not due to academic dishonesty or failure, professionalism concerns, nor criminal activity. I'm concerned that law schools might also require this letter since I have a dismissal. If the Dean absolutely refuses to write the letter, is there a way I can legally compel him to do so? Thanks again all.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello again forum. As hinted at in the title, this post is somewhat of follow-up question to a thread I started months ago. In summary, 3 years ago, I was unjustly dismissed from my former medical school. For more details, please read my initial post. Fast forward to today. As of now, I am deciding between going to a Caribbean medical school or going to law school. I know that even if I graduate from a Caribbean school that my chances of getting into residency are slim, that's a discussion for another day, and why I'm leaning towards law school. Regardless, I have conditional acceptance from 2 med schools in January, dependent on a letter from my former school's Dean detailing the circumstances and official reason behind my dismissal. As you will see from my initial post in this forum, several members doubted my claim that the dismissal was unwarranted. My current situation is showing that those doubts are unfounded. The Dean of my former school is actively avoiding my repeated requests for a letter. As I stated in one of my replies in my original post, the actual reason behind my dismissal was never written out. I believe the Dean is avoiding my request because it would force him to write out the reason behind my dismissal, opening up the school to a lawsuit from me, because, as I've stated, my dismissal was not due to academic dishonesty or failure, professionalism concerns, nor criminal activity. I'm concerned that law schools might also require this letter since I have a dismissal. If the Dean absolutely refuses to write the letter, is there a way I can legally compel him to do so? Thanks again all.
This is a new account. What was your name on the old acct so we can read the original post you refer us to? Why were you dismissed?

This is a new account. What was your name on the old acct so we can read the original post you refer us to? Why were you dismissed?
The original post was from April 5 and is on their current account. You can see it under postings in their profile.

Was this an MD school in the US you were at? If you want to go to law school then why would you keep pushing regarding this letter? You said yourself you're not that interested in Carrib schools...

I know it's hard to appeal, because it's the same people who work at the appeal too...

And I know a student I'm undergrad with poor grades who was put on probation and that is why their financial aid was stopped, they had to appeal to get it back

Last edited:
Not sure I follow. It sounds like you’re saying former Dean won’t write a letter therefore dismissal was unwarranted because he or she is trying to hide something. I read this as former Dean won’t write a letter because he or she doesn’t believe they should be doing anything to help you get into a new medical school, which I believe is their prerogative.

I can’t think of grounds you would have to compel the Dean to write this letter.

If you have condition acceptances in January, are we talking about Caribbean schools? It sounds like you already know why that’s a risky option.

I wish you well but I can’t see how this particular situation would play out in your favor.

Just one med student’s opinion.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Was this an MD school in the US you were at? If you want to go to law school then why would you keep pushing regarding this letter? You said yourself you're not that interested in Carrib schools...

I know it's hard to appeal, because it's the same people who work at the appeal too...

And I know a student I'm undergrad with poor grades who was put on probation and that is why their financial aid was stopped, they had to appeal to get it back
Because like I stated I'm unsure if law schools also require the letter, I'll find out later today.

Locking, because the bottom line question is seeking legal advice. None of us are going to be able to tell you if you can legally compel your old dean to write a letter, for that you're going to need an actual lawyer with access to the actual details of what happened, not just some random physicians and trainees speculating. Questions related to what may be required of the law school admissions process are also outside the scope of the advice of what we can provide on SDN.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.