I wonder whether this medical student will be cancelled

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ignorance is bliss(ful death). And I'm still wearing a mask in many instances, notably when seeing patients. Hospital (and possibly State) requirement when infection risk is rated "High" which is determined routinely.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Times were scary and getting everyone on board was urgent... but in retrospect, I believe we (the scientific community) allowed the media to take the wrong tone with getting the message out.
Well, I can't really argue with this. This is much better than the paper in question however. It did become an us vs. them dynamic in many ways.

But, I'm not sure that scientists are or should be equipped to provide populist messaging. It's not what we do. It would be the very rare person who has a deep and nuanced understanding of science and is an effective spokesperson when addressing a population that is largely scientifically illiterate. This person would have to intentionally present things in unscientific ways.

I did not personally see much smugness from docs, we just couldn't afford to be like this where I am. About half the docs on staff at my hospital hedge towards the libertarian conservative model alluded to above. Nearly all these docs got vaccines themselves, because they knew what they didn't know and were hedging their bets.

I did have contrarian conservative patients and even staff openly question recommendations and promote conspiracies.

I believe the hard truth is that the non-scientific public will not be satisfied with what science or a scientific community can actually provide in crisis, particularly when it comes to providing behavioral recommendations. What science provides in crisis is a means to have a better than even chance of doing the right thing. Science rarely provides completely correct answers in real time. It is iterative.

Last edited:
The fact that some people want to blame mainstream media for the following seems somewhat backwards to me:
1) Pre-vaccines, when COVID was overwhelming hospitals step-wise, regionally throughout the country, where people were dying because of COVID regularly, and people were dying at higher rates of otherwise fixable conditions because the hospital was so stretched for resources that they couldn't care for the regular stuff as well - Media was like "jesus please be cautious, wear a mask, consider participating in a lockdown etc", and that was met with severe vitriol.
2) Once vaccines were developed and shown to reduce risk of hospitalization or death, a significant chunk of people didn't get them. I'm not sure when it went from California liberals being the ones who don't vaccinate against MMR due to concerns of autism to country conservatives not getting the COVID vaccine - was it all because of the Orange Man? Probably not, but it most definitely didn't help.

Everything else, how media and CDC and all that has dealt with the first booster and onwards, risk/benefit of vaccinating kids below a certain age (but even that, myocarditis is more likely to happen from COVID than the vaccine), benefit of Paxlovid, etc. It's all reasonable, at face value, but the people who gained clout with this lumped themselves with all those who survived not getting a vaccine. And now, there's probably enough immunity out there in those who haven't gotten vaccinated, not even speaking for those who have actually gotten their 2, or 3, or even 4 shots.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the hard truth is that the non-scientific public will not be satisfied with what science or a scientific community can actually provide in crisis, particularly when it comes to providing behavioral recommendations. What science provides in crisis is a means to have a better than even chance of doing the right thing. Science rarely provides completely correct answers in real time. It is iterative.

And why is that? Because science, and the scientific method, have been replaced with fringe right *****s screaming "fake news."

Jordan Keppler does an amazing job showing the cognitive dissonance of America's bottom 10%.

When I see poor and low-educated patients wearing dumb political fringe sloganwear, I feel sad for them.

Reactions: 2 users
In my defense, I was only given 700-1200 words, so yes, it is nonspecific, and I didn't have the opportunity to dwell on any specific point. I think I went over that limit, and even then, I cut paragraphs.

I might be cancelled but probably not. I will probably be excluded from some residencies and I will lose some opportunities and gain others. I have lost many friends, but they were not friends. I am happy for the publicity, of course. But I meant what I said. Perhaps it was not good in some senses, but it was very popular so by some metric it was good. And, the people who matter, specifically my editor who is brilliant and who I respect immensely, thought it was good. You probably just did not agree, or it probably rubbed you the wrong way. Which is fine, as it did just that to many people.

And nah, I'm still in my PhD. I will have done one long PhD.

Tucker's producer did invite me onto his show, though.

As for being a B-list Peter Attia, Peter is a good friend of mine and sometimes asks me for input on his content and thinks I'm great so I have to be doing something right. Peter also says I should not go on Tucker.

Saying I am not a vaccine fan is ridiculous. I am fully vaccinated as are my children. I think that taking for granted that any particular medical intervention is necessarily good (just because it is, for example, a "vaccine") is bad scientific practice. I think being critical about all interventions is good policy and good for making science the strongest it can be. And this best serves our patients.

I didn't start thinking about the COVID vaccine until I started looking at the evidence. This was unrelated to my pericarditis, which I didn't link to the vaccine until I started digging into the literature. The perimyocarditis link to the COVID vaccine is real, especially when stratified by age. But we don't understand the full extent of it, or exactly how common it is, or the risk of long-term complications. These are currently unknown, and this unknown disturbs me greatly.

Finally, I think I would fit in in any residency. I don't bring myself to work, am focused on work, and do what I need to do to do my job. I am an older student and have spent enough time in the world to know that it is far from perfect and that I won't allow strong views, especially ones that might change in the future, to prevent my participation in it.

Watch for me should I decide to go on Tucker. If I do, I will only be communicating facts, specifically that there was a systematic and aggressive exclusion of a large part of the population from the policy discussion about COVID. (But really, that's par for the course in our country's public political discussions.) I am still thinking about it.

1) I would not be enthusiastic to interview/rank you.
2) Definitely don't go on Tucker if you want to be an employed physician taking care of patients.

Couple of things - the Vaccine was proven, like published data, to reduce risk of hospitalization and death. If you want to talk about whether a person who has gotten 2 shots and had COVID once needs a booster, sure. But there's too many permutations/combinations, especially when you're talking about an event that you can't even confirm didn't happen (like previous COVID infection) to run any sort of clean clinical trial that isn't going to be confounded by an excessive amount of inadvertent inclusion of people who previously had COVID (but didn't test) in the "never had COVID" group.

Paxlovid was proven, yes in non-vaccinated patients, to reduce risk of severity. Harping on that Paxlovid shouldn't be used on vaccinated people is.... silly. Don't want Paxlovid as a vaccinated person? Great, don't take it.

But all of this, I would not proclaim to be an expert on, because how randomized trials are run for infections is presumably something only someone who manages infections every day would know - not necessarily just an ID doc, but perhaps crit care, maybe someone in a department of medicine.

But.... a med student doing his PhD, presumably without having done his clinical rotations yet? Who feels that his opinion and ramble is worth listening to, as someone who potentially has not even seen like an actual inpatient receiving antibiotics? He's the expert we're looking for? Unless that PhD is in something regarding infectious disease, epidemiology, etc. etc., I'm just not seeing anything but hubris.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 4 users
tl;dr in summary

go away gtfo GIF

• Love
The fact that some people want to blame mainstream media for the following seems somewhat backwards to me:
1) Pre-vaccines, when COVID was overwhelming hospitals step-wise, regionally throughout the country, where people were dying because of COVID regularly, and people were dying at higher rates of otherwise fixable conditions because the hospital was so stretched for resources that they couldn't care for the regular stuff as well - Media was like "jesus please be cautious, wear a mask, consider participating in a lockdown etc", and that was met with severe vitriol.
2) Once vaccines were developed and shown to reduce risk of hospitalization or death, a significant chunk of people didn't get them. I'm not sure when it went from California liberals being the ones who don't vaccinate against MMR due to concerns of autism to country conservatives not getting the COVID vaccine - was it all because of the Orange Man? Probably not, but it most definitely didn't help.

Everything else, how media and CDC and all that has dealt with the first booster and onwards, risk/benefit of vaccinating kids below a certain age (but even that, myocarditis is more likely to happen from COVID than the vaccine), benefit of Paxlovid, etc. It's all reasonable, at face value, but the people who gained clout with this lumped themselves with all those who survived not getting a vaccine. And now, there's probably enough immunity out there in those who haven't gotten vaccinated, not even speaking for those who have actually gotten their 2, or 3, or even 4 shots.
Until very recently, the media message was…
“Here is the CDC guidance… you would be foolish and/or a negligent citizen not to do as they recommend”

While this may have been true in many cases, it is never going to convert a non-believer

There is a difference being right and being convincing. The media and the scientific community were frequently the former, but rarely the latter.

The only thing more fun than drinking pina coladas you say? Assigning blame.

I find this approach highly productive with my wife.

3D No GIF by X.H. Aqeel
I do like me some pina coladas at a swim up bar…

Until very recently, the media message was…
“Here is the CDC guidance… you would be foolish and/or a negligent citizen not to do as they recommend”

While this may have been true in many cases, it is never going to convert a non-believer

There is a difference being right and being convincing. The media and the scientific community were frequently the former, but rarely the latter.
After many got through a few winters of "severe illness and death for yourselves, your families..." without much happening, doesn't build trust.

And yet illness, long COVID and even death (particularly for the elderly) was and is rampant.. your point was?

Building trust requires two parties to engage in good faith. Scientists did their best, and weren't perfect.

OTOH: The fringe ain't doing that, so lets be real.

Well, I can't really argue with this. This is much better than the paper in question however. It did become an us vs. them dynamic in many ways.

But, I'm not sure that scientists are or should be equipped to provide populist messaging. It's not what we do. It would be the very rare person who has a deep and nuanced understanding of science and is an effective spokesperson when addressing a population that is largely scientifically illiterate. This person would have to intentionally present things in unscientific ways.

I did not personally see much smugness from docs, we just couldn't afford to be like this where I am. About half the docs on staff at my hospital hedge towards the libertarian conservative model alluded to above. Nearly all these docs got vaccines themselves, because they knew what they didn't know and were hedging their bets.
Every doc who appeared on TV who was asked about folks who weren’t following guidelines…
One on one we were fine, but put a doc in front of a camera, and all bets were off.

Also, there was a dearth of good explanations of the reasons masks work or how a vaccine can still be helpful if not 100% effective. There wasn’t a whole lot of respectful messaging for the reasonable person who had questions

hindsight is 20/20 and, behind closed doors, I was as judgmental as anyone. Just worth keeping in mind for future public health emergencies

After many got through a few winters of "severe illness and death for yourselves, your families..." without much happening, doesn't build trust.
I mean… it WAS awful. I personally got pretty sick (before vaccines) and my vaccinated wife got pretty sick when she was pregnant.

Many folks were just fortunate enough not to have it affect them personally

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean… it WAS awful. I personally got pretty sick (before vaccines) and my vaccinated wife got pretty sick when she was pregnant.

Many folks were just fortunate enough not to have it affect them personally
I find it almost unbelievable.

I had probably 10 patients die of COVID respiratory failure (obviously, comorbid to their malignancy) during the initial two surges.
First degree family.
Multiple extended family members.
Friends or acquaintances as young as their mid 30s.

Count your blessings if COVID didn't impact you past being annoyed with being made to be poked twice.

But, let's be honest. It's over now. If you're still harping on the initial response, you're probably at least 85% wrong and just looking to stoke anger for some grift.

"But, let's be honest. It's over now."

Pfizer wants annual boosters. Is there sufficient evidence to justify this? Should an employer mandate this? It is far from over.

FWIW I took four shots and I continue to wear a mask at work.

The most troubling parts of the last three years for me were:

1) the machinations of Fauci and other NIH bigwigs to manipulate the scientific process by stifling dissenting views. His original noble lie (Masks aren't necessary) I can support as we didn't know much
2) the decision to close schools and keep them closed and then open with mask requirements when there was good evidence that this wasn't necessary and would be harmful. I am thankful that my children were not aged 4-8.

• Haha

Pfizer wants annual boosters. Is there sufficient evidence to justify this? Should an employer mandate this? It is far from over.

FWIW I took four shots and I continue to wear a mask at work.

The most troubling parts of the last three years for me were:

1) the machinations of Fauci and other NIH bigwigs to manipulate the scientific process by stifling dissenting views. His original noble lie (Masks aren't necessary) I can support as we didn't know much
2) the decision to close schools and keep them closed and then open with mask requirements when there was good evidence that this wasn't necessary and would be harmful. I am thankful that my children were not aged 4-8.
I think pretty much everyone acknowledges the school closures were a disaster.

But, it’s over. Were you required to get the 4th shot? Is anyone even keeping track anymore?

I think pretty much everyone acknowledges the school closures were a disaster.

But, it’s over. Were you required to get the 4th shot? Is anyone even keeping track anymore?
Yes is the answer to your question. I expect to be required to be vaccinated for Flu and COVID in the fall of 2023. Those in power rarely give it up.

Yes is the answer to your question. I expect to be required to be vaccinated for Flu and COVID in the fall of 2023. Those in power rarely give it up.
I’ll get 10 Covid shots if it can eliminate paying taxes. Hell, I’ll take 2 now if it meant we can all move pass the vaccine as being the anti christ!

That depends if you're a patient or a Pfizer stockholder.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I went on Tucker. Hopefully I can get into residency. My Step 1 score is high, and I should do well on Step 2 and clinicals. My Tucker interview didn't go up in flames. He softballed and we went very light. I made fundamental discoveries during my PhD and I interview well. I don't have any other red flags on my app. So I will cross my fingers and kiss feet until someone takes me. In the meantime I am going to build alternative income to buffer me in case I have to apply several times. I have no regrets. Hopefully I feel the same way in a few years.

I guess my qualm with official messaging is and continues to be: why didn't we just tell the truth about what we didn't know? Why did we make things up? People can try to cancel my career if they like, but I still feel it's important to talk about this.

Also I want to address the credibility issue. I think a lot of what went wrong during COVID is easy to see for anyone. I don't think it requires a specialized expertise, just the ability to understand uncertainty and how to evaluate evidence in the scientific literature. And maybe a bit of human psychology. Plus connections to scientists who work on these issues.

But in a sense, I think the more important area of expertise is that of scientific communication. And I have a lot of experience there; I spent years debunking misinformation before it was even called misinformation. I was Internet famous for that. And I think the fundamental set of errors during COVID was one of science communication. Not understanding how science communication should take place, and how errors there can lead to mistrust. And some really fundamental science communication errors were made. The paternalism and the hiding of uncertainty was the biggest one.

And either way, it's true that I'm not an expert, but people wanted to hear the message I had. I had no idea things would go viral the way they did on Twitter, or later in Newsweek. It was a message that people wanted to hear.

It's also true that I haven't fully justified my specific views yet. There have been some places on social media where I have. I will thoroughly do that in a popular publication next. People can decide whether they think I am representing the scientific evidence adequately. And yes, sure, maybe someone else would be better, but I give my work to countless people to read beforehand, people who are published in the field, etc. But people want to hear from me so I will draw from the experts and deliver that.

Just hoping there is going to be a place in residency for me. Am going to do my best. We'll have to see I guess.

Just hoping there is going to be a place in residency for me. Am going to do my best. We'll have to see I guess.
Ok so while my previous post referencing one of your Tweets is hilarious (if I do say so myself), I figured maybe I'd do more than crack jokes.

I absolutely couldn't care less about "this" topic, and by that I mean anything about the pandemic. That's not to say I don't have my own experiences and opinions, but I would rather shove toothpicks under my toenails than talk about masks, especially on the internet.

But I am deeply interested in discussion medicine as a career in America, and all the meta-topics around it.

Like yourself, I am also MD-PhD. My PhD is in RadOnc, so I have been "in" the culture for a sadly long time now. I got caught in the vortex in the mid-to-late 2000s.

I have a lot of strong opinions regarding...literally anything even loosely connected to Radiation Oncology. And I've had many of these opinions since I started looking at y-H2AX foci under a microscope when George W was still president.

But I planned I completing the "traditional" path of going to residency and practicing medicine, board certified in my specialty. And I quickly learned there was a high price to pay for that. Namely, if my opinions or actions were not perceived to be "in line" with the people "above" me in the hierarchy, my entire world could be crushed seemingly without much effort. My training was done during the "bubble" era of hyper-competitive RadOnc, before the burst, so this was amplified for me.

I don't agree with the current structure of medicine. Hierarchy for the sake of hierarchy when "evidence based" is a phrase more or less uttered by a burning bush is outright contradictory. But...that's our reality.

So I made the choice to bend the knee/kiss the ring. And it worked, I got everything I wanted (though whether I SHOULD have wanted ANY of this is a debate for another day). I created this SDN account when I knees were breaking from bending so hard and I needed an outlet. Having a pseudo-anonymous avatar to spew my thoughts into the void as I finished jumping hoops was very cathartic.

Why am I saying any of this? Because I finally went to your Twitter profile and saw how many followers you have and read some of your stuff. I can at least tell you that while going on Tucker Carlson to talk about masks certainly wasn't a career booster for you, the cat was already somewhat out of the bag.

We should all remember the changes that have taken place over the last few years. USMLE Step 1 went pass/fail. Schools are pulling out of rankings. There already was a huge push to not have grades or class ranks. Blah blah blah.

Each change is ratcheting up subjectivity. I can already promise you that you could be a GENIUS in the actual practice of medicine, but if you made the active choice to take up the mask debate 3 years into the pandemic, on Twitter, and go on Tucker Carlson - you're going to rub a few folks the wrong way in the clinical years. I'm not saying that's fair or warranted, just that it will happen. Which means some less-than-stellar written words about you. It happened to me, it happens to almost everyone. 98% of my clinical evals were good-to-neutral in M3 and M4. The negative 2% were purely personality-based. Once was a "guilt by association" thing which the program director erased for me. Once was a Fellow who thought I was Satan. To this day I don't know why. But that Fellow's review was definitely in my residency application, and that was with me trying to always kiss the ring.

But even more importantly: when you, or anyone, submits your residency application...people will Google you. At least one person reviewing either your app or during/after the interview. These days, probably several people.

And your Twitter profile will pop up. And it will be immediately apparent that you have a long track history of growing a large following by being openly critical of things. The fact that Tucker Carlson now pops up is essentially just icing.

So ask yourself: in a sea of hundreds of applicants at a particular school/program, are you really THAT special? Assuming a Bell curve of scores/achievements - are you going to be a tremendous superstar outlier? Or are you "just" going to be in the top 5%?

Because you're a potential liability. Why would a program want to take on someone who has, for years, leveraged platforms to be openly critical of claims in science and medicine? I'm making zero assumptions about the validity of those claims, I suspect I probably agree with a lot of them.

But how likely are you to be critical of my program, to your large base of followers, if I Match you and something happens that you don't like? What repercussions will that have on my program for years to come? Anyone on SDN knows how damaging a bad online reputation can be for a program. And SDN is an anonymous message board! I shudder to think about a 100k-follower Twitter account saying "so-and-so residency program hates trainees and discriminates against certain groups!"

Not saying you'd do that. This post isn't even about you, personally. This is the math people need to be doing if they want a career in medicine. Everyone needs to ask themselves what is more important, openly sharing and sticking to principled opinions while still in training, or trying to keep their head somewhat down until they get through "the crucible" and are out in independent practice?

Reactions: 9 users
Well I went on Tucker. Hopefully I can get into residency. My Step 1 score is high, and I should do well on Step 2 and clinicals. My Tucker interview didn't go up in flames. He softballed and we went very light. I made fundamental discoveries during my PhD and I interview well. I don't have any other red flags on my app. So I will cross my fingers and kiss feet until someone takes me. In the meantime I am going to build alternative income to buffer me in case I have to apply several times. I have no regrets. Hopefully I feel the same way in a few years.

I guess my qualm with official messaging is and continues to be: why didn't we just tell the truth about what we didn't know? Why did we make things up? People can try to cancel my career if they like, but I still feel it's important to talk about this.
You're concerned about the truth and you went on Tucker? I don't think you possess the ability to actually introspect. You've opted to be another fame *****. The texts surfacing in the dominion trial show without question that tucker knows what a fraud he is. I suspect you do too.

• Haha
Also I want to address the credibility issue. I think a lot of what went wrong during COVID is easy to see for anyone. I don't think it requires a specialized expertise, just the ability to understand uncertainty and how to evaluate evidence in the scientific literature. And maybe a bit of human psychology. Plus connections to scientists who work on these issues.

But in a sense, I think the more important area of expertise is that of scientific communication. And I have a lot of experience there; I spent years debunking misinformation before it was even called misinformation. I was Internet famous for that. And I think the fundamental set of errors during COVID was one of science communication. Not understanding how science communication should take place, and how errors there can lead to mistrust. And some really fundamental science communication errors were made. The paternalism and the hiding of uncertainty was the biggest one.

And either way, it's true that I'm not an expert, but people wanted to hear the message I had. I had no idea things would go viral the way they did on Twitter, or later in Newsweek. It was a message that people wanted to hear.

It's also true that I haven't fully justified my specific views yet. There have been some places on social media where I have. I will thoroughly do that in a popular publication next. People can decide whether they think I am representing the scientific evidence adequately. And yes, sure, maybe someone else would be better, but I give my work to countless people to read beforehand, people who are published in the field, etc. But people want to hear from me so I will draw from the experts and deliver that.

One thing you have to be honest with yourself is how much your identity and self-worth is tied to the attention of strangers on the internet. You came back on this thread not to get advice on matching a residency, but to brag about going on Tucker and letting us know that you are "internet famous".

You probably don't even care that much about scientific communication - this is merely a subject that is controversial enough to get views/likes and has marginal enough relevance to you as a md/phd student that you can leverage to get yourself attention (and some patreon subscribers). Congrats, you got it. Hope it brings you the happiness that you think will (spoiler alert - it won't).

Reactions: 5 users
Ray bringing the house down, and I like it.

Tucker and his ilk are the most venemous threat to the future of America. Using lies to weaponize the ugliest fraction of America. Its a free country, but the risk to our great nation is severe.

Speaking of scams.. how about this one you would think this could never happen to physicians (well, excluding the carribean lol)

LOL, no one goes on Tucker Carlson for "constructive engagement." It's one thing if you just want to stroke your ego by getting "likes" on social media sites and forums like SDN, but if you really think that going on this demagogue's show won't torpedo your chances of doing anything professionally then you are in for a shock.

Man.... Just don't end up in Rad Onc. Please. Some garbage program will take you and then we'll all have to justify your existence.

So many of these "loud on twitter" Med students out there.... I wouldn't want to be at a residency with any of them, let alone the ones with like super plitically-charged thoughts/expressions.

You made that decision for your ego, and the hope is that it doesn't torpedo your chances for residency. Some very small percentage of PDs may agree with you.... but good luck identifying who that is or if they're in the field of medicine you're actually interested in.

As usual, ESE nails the 'risk factor' of hiring someone with a large twitter presence.

Well. I appreciate the attempts at constructive criticism and charitable interpretation. A pleasure, SDN, as always.

I can’t stand Tucker. I think the content of original essay was .. not cohesive nor scientific. It could have used better editing and mentorship. It seemed very “woe is me”. I think it was graded on a curve, because of its provocative nature and because he earned double doctorates.

But, there are many excellent docs and RadOncs that have views I despise. And there are people that I completely agree with, but I would never want to work with or see a patient with.

I’ve said a lot of things that have made me pariah in the world of #radonc and as a person that really has a deep need to be liked, it has been hard. But, I’m good at what I do, I’m a nice guy and I have done well.

I don’t think it was a good decision to write it or go on that show, but I don’t see how it should affect your application. Half this generation of people (and future physicians) are clout chasing. Your clout chasing falls on the opposite spectrum of the current groupthink. So, unfortunately it will affect you.

The clout chasing in itself is not the issue (unless it is for all the others, too). But read the room - academics think solely one way these days. They kicked people off this forum for questioning masks.

(And, I gotta tell you, saying “SDN what a pleasure” or whatever is inaccurate and whiny - you came onto a very specific sub forum that does not represent the entire community of SDN.)

The clout chasing in itself is not the issue
But read the room - academics think solely one way these days
It's the clout chasing. Doesn't help that it's Tucker, who is not defensible at this point, but these things go hand in hand either way.

The only way a traditional non-expert gets clout is to have the contrarian view. A med stud espousing mask use or advocating for following guidelines may have a local advocacy group or be quoted in a local paper. That's it. National outlets are going to get full professors from Harvard or the head of the CDC to do a story. A med stud who says, "I really don't know what the perfect diet is. Guidance seems to change all the time and I heard that blue zones have a lot of variety in their diets." is not getting a high volume platform for their dietary opinions.

A cultural cornerstone of academia is that cachet is earned and that some voices have earned the right to be heard more than others. It is not terribly democratic. It is why big name centers and personal endorsements matter tremendously for careers or even initiatives like ion therapy.

Anyone who successfully gets a platform for their opinion without cultivating peer reviewed publications, going through academic advancement review, and participating in academic service is viewed as "jumping the line". I am not in touch with many academics anymore, but I would guess this is an opinion that is directed at you. These folks would say to themselves, "what makes this guy qualified to have an amplified opinion regarding x, y or z?"

The beauty of our forum is that we can talk as though we are all equals. Could I go to a conference and have a platform for my theories on why ion therapy is a bad investment? No, because I am not qualified to have that platform. Can we as an anonymous community bring up important questions, openly critique academic work, present arguments and bring to people's consciousness why they should doubt the status quo? Absolutely.

Ah yes, the ultimate platform the internet. Anyone can say or do just about anything. Google "OnlyFans Dad" on Youtube and well, there you have it.

I can’t stand Tucker. I think the content of original essay was .. not cohesive nor scientific. It could have used better editing and mentorship. It seemed very “woe is me”. I think it was graded on a curve, because of its provocative nature and because he earned double doctorates.

But, there are many excellent docs and RadOncs that have views I despise. And there are people that I completely agree with, but I would never want to work with or see a patient with.

I’ve said a lot of things that have made me pariah in the world of #radonc and as a person that really has a deep need to be liked, it has been hard. But, I’m good at what I do, I’m a nice guy and I have done well.

I don’t think it was a good decision to write it or go on that show, but I don’t see how it should affect your application. Half this generation of people (and future physicians) are clout chasing. Your clout chasing falls on the opposite spectrum of the current groupthink. So, unfortunately it will affect you.

The clout chasing in itself is not the issue (unless it is for all the others, too). But read the room - academics think solely one way these days. They kicked people off this forum for questioning masks.

(And, I gotta tell you, saying “SDN what a pleasure” or whatever is inaccurate and whiny - you came onto a very specific sub forum that does not represent the entire community of SDN.)
He's 0fer on the doctorates as of now I think. I said I was an MSTP student when I did it so as not to give the false impression that anyone should think I know what I'm talking about.

Fair enough. On the way to two doctorates.

Idk. I hate the idea of expertise, especially as it pertains in our field.

I can write a comprehensive and detailed post with multiple references on TheMedNet about something they asked me to answer. 3 “agrees” and 1 “like”

Sushil answers “Yes”. 6000 likes and 42000 agrees. And if you’re reading, you know that’s true, Dr. B!

This is even more true on Twitter and in academic departments.

The words and the knowledge themselves should carry weight, not just the CV.

• Haha

I can write a comprehensive and detailed post with multiple references on TheMedNet about something they asked me to answer. 3 “agrees” and 1 “like”

Sushil answers “Yes”. 6000 likes and 42000 agrees. And if you’re reading, you know that’s true, Dr. B!

I don't disagree. Ad hominem attacks are fallacious arguments. OTOH, an MSTP student should be capable enough to think maybe I shouldn't speak on a topic like this. And if I'm gonna, I shouldn't include names of degrees I haven't even earned to give my words credence.

Say, and I know this hard to believe, but what if someone that had cachet had written this. Maybe a senior faculty member that had otherwise been known to have a reality-based slant on the world.

Would they be treated the same way?

I don’t believe they would.

Say, and I know this hard to believe, but what if someone that had cachet had written this. Maybe a senior faculty member that had otherwise been known to have a reality-based slant on the world.

Would they be treated the same way?

I don’t believe they would.
I'd come up with another reason to complain. In all seriousness, I don't doubt the veracity of what he said in some sense. Mistakes were made. Captain Hindsight has the luxury of commenting after the fact. I suspect the decisions were made not just on what made true sense medically, but also on what made the most sense psychologically. Which is to say, trying to manage a population whose members are getting "no vax" on their vanity plates. I can't imagine what it would be like to manage a pandemic in America. Beyond that, I suspect a senior faculty member would be more reasoned, offer more evidence, and not do Tucker. But could be wrong. There's always doc Oz.

I don't disagree. Ad hominem attacks are fallacious arguments. OTOH, an MSTP student should be capable enough to think maybe I shouldn't speak on a topic like this. And if I'm gonna, I shouldn't include names of degrees I haven't even earned to give my words credence.
Did he cite staying at a Holiday Inn Express Last Night?

From what I can tell, the central thesis of the kid's article was that everybody should've been asked what to do. Those who believe in evidence/facts/logic/reality and the most malicious numbskulls out there should have been given equal voice. Forget expertise, my dude was lamenting Trump's opinions not being taken seriously enough. The man suggested injecting disinfectant. People called him a buffoon to prevent other buffoons from following this decidedly not-expert opinion.

Yah, I’m much more interested in the meta discussion. Should he get canceled/lose a chance at a residency position?

If our political views, however baseless/venal, don’t interfere with the ability to meet the stated requirements of the ACGME / department, why does it matter?

One of us may eventually have an unpopular opinion. I have had many. And literally zero academic departments will interview me. This doesn’t seem fair.

CA programs require a DEI essay to work there.

Imagine Utah requiring some anti transgender essay or something.

I just want to practice and enjoy tacos (in CA) or ski (in UT).

Anyway, not an area that I’d imagine any of us would find common ground.

Yah, I’m much more interested in the meta discussion. Should he get canceled/lose a chance at a residency position?

If our political views, however baseless/venal, don’t interfere with the ability to meet the stated requirements of the ACGME / department, why does it matter?

One of us may eventually have an unpopular opinion. I have had many. And literally zero academic departments will interview me. This doesn’t seem fair.

This could be a blessing in disguise?
Was just about to say.... "And this is supposed to be a bad thing???"

The rot in this field starts from the top

Last edited:

Beriwal doesn't even do just a yes. It's just less verbose than the residents/junior faculty that are like writing an entire research paper for MedNet.

The Mendenhall 'Yes' or 'No' is who we should be naming this phenomenon for on MedNet

Status
Not open for further replies.