Will This Stop Admins from Cramming Patient Satisfaction Down Our Throats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chartreuse Wombat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
We've known that patient satisfaction surveys correlate with negative outcomes for a long time. No one cares.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Admins need some silly metric to hang over our heads. Last job I had, we were always highly rated but do you think anything mattered or they decided to listen to anything or do anything differently… nope! All they ever did was highlight the one bad review for a patient who did not get the prescription they wanted or the one guy who had to wait an extra 5 minutes so that we could treat a cord compression same day.

Reactions: 5 users
There was a study that showed bell ringing in rad onc departments was associated with worse patient distress.

I still see bells and finishing patients ringing them in every rad onc department.

A study is only as useful as its likability.

I'm philosophically a fan of the idea behind the qaly. It's not to say it's well defined obviously, but it's simple conceptually to me:. It's better to live for fewer good years than more bad ones. I wonder what that means wrt patient satisfaction scores. In any case, I have resisted calls to put a bell in the clinic.

we had a patient recently complain that we should turn off the tv because a Christmas movie was playing in the lobby and people are dying in the hospital…our quality went down and my salary got cut 5%…I suggested we now play zombie movies

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
we had a patient recently complain that we should turn off the tv because a Christmas movie was playing in the lobby and people are dying in the hospital…our quality went down and my salary got cut 5%…I suggested we now play zombie movies

Serves you right you insensitive cog!

Reactions: 1 user
Admins need some silly metric to hang over our heads. Last job I had, we were always highly rated but do you think anything mattered or they decided to listen to anything or do anything differently… nope! All they ever did was highlight the one bad review for a patient who did not get the prescription they wanted or the one guy who had to wait an extra 5 minutes so that we could treat a cord compression same day.

Stupid metrics are the bane of my existence

Oh look the one person that answered the survey gave me 80% on everything - too bad that's 20th percentile (Comment: Would not be alive without him! 4/5 stars). Ding.
Oh you didn't get this low risk prostate cancer consult into your clinic within 7 days - I was on vacation and got in some stage 3 lungs and palliatives before I left. Ding.
Why are all these patients taking so long to see you? Because I triage them and prefer meeting them with all the information like PET, pathology, etc, within reason. Ding.

Worst doctor ever

Reactions: 4 users
Stupid metrics are the bane of my existence

Oh look the one person that answered the survey gave me 80% on everything - too bad that's 20th percentile (Comment: Would not be alive without him! 4/5 stars). Ding.
Oh you didn't get this low risk prostate cancer consult into your clinic within 7 days - I was on vacation and got in some stage 3 lungs and palliatives before I left. Ding.
Why are all these patients taking so long to see you? Because I triage them and prefer meeting them with all the information like PET, pathology, etc, within reason. Ding.

Worst doctor ever
Had a very low risk 70 yr old prostate threatened to go on tv claiming I was a bad doc because I offered AS or photons over protons.

I’m sure he left a nice review.

• Haha
“I think we could just watch this. But if you want treatment, I would come here instead of the proton center.”

“This is the worst advice I’ve ever heard from a doctor. You have completely negated protons.”

“Annnnd… well done. I was testing you to see if you have been reading the right Internet sites. You passed. I needed to make sure I’m dealing with a higher intelligence. I can’t be giving out my best advice to just anyone and everyone.”

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Jesus. Either pay a fixed amount per year (#750orGTFO), or get paid based on some wRVU (#75w2orGTFO) and THATS IT. Quality is a busy clinic and no medmal.

EVERYTHING ELSE IS NOISE and MICROMANAGEMENT.

Now, here's another helping of shyte sandwich, would you like fries with that? Cause you'll keep eating it until you walk away.

Jesus. Either pay a fixed amount per year (#750orGTFO), or get paid based on some wRVU (#75w2orGTFO) and THATS IT. Quality is a busy clinic and no medmal.

This only works at independent hospitals in places like West Butthole, Nebraska and Toxicsludge River, North Dakota where you are the only rad onc. And even then only kinda. Health systems in every metro will have their rules and if you don't like them... byeeeeee...

Reactions: 4 users
Welp, I went byeee and I'm getting, as the kids say, my bag.

Matt Barnes Sport GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

I completely understand sirspamsalot point here. No one in this profession is your friend, least of all the "leaders' in the profession who are the medical equivalent of twitter grifters. This profession isn't a meritocracy and not everyone trains on even ground. At some point in your life you just want security and money and "playing for the team" when the team doesn't play for you no longer holds any water.

Reactions: 6 users
I think things have gotten darker on this board than they are in reality.

It ain't great out there IRL, but it also ain't Thunderdome.

You don't have to be satisfied making 300k in BFE treating 25 patients while the admin skims substantial pro fees and treats you like a RN. But that's kind of the absolute worst case scenario at the moment. As people say, it's "A job". You'll hate it, but you'll feed your family. Most jobs are better than this in at least a couple regards.

Breadlines may or may not come, stay tuned.

You don't have to be satisfied making 300k in BFE treating 25 patients while the admin skims substantial pro fees and treats you like a RN. But that's kind of the absolute worst case scenario at the moment. As people say, it's "A job". You'll hate it, but you'll feed your family. Most jobs are better than this in at least a couple regards.

Agree, esp this year post covid, probably the best job market I've seen in several years. Lots of $500-600k hospital employed jobs out there for BC docs in many desirable areas if you look around

No APM and lots of retirements and protons and MRIs and resistance to widespread hypofractionation have definitely improved the health of the patient