I would appreciate advice, please....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iagirl088

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just wanted to ask a couple quick questions. I applied this last year with a 3.82 gpa and 28Q MCAT. I had two interviews, but unfortunately didn't get accepted. I talked to the admissions counselors at both schools and they both said I interviewed well, my application was strong, and that the MCAT was the only real weakness of my application. Additionally, my freshman year I was cited for intoxication by an RA (not the police or anything), but had not actually been drinking in the building. I didn't explain this very much in my first AMCAS, so I'm wondering if this small incident is going to keep me from being accepted in the future? I plan on explaining more what I learned from the incident on the next AMCAS and that I actually ended up becoming an RA, so I can understand the position she was put in. I have some previous volunteer experience, research experience, and have been heavily involved in music groups throughout my undergraduate career. Currently, I am re-taking the MCAT in June and also volunteering two days a week at a hospital. I'm auditing a human anatomy class that uses cadavers and am also thinking about taking a spanish class. Is this enough improvement or do I need to be seeking other experiences to better my application? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

How many schools did you apply to?

You're retaking the MCAT so that's good. It seems like you're doing everything right . . . improving your application with EC's and MCAT scores.

Personally, I don't think that the drinking thing is the reason for your rejections. Were you penalized for the incident . . . . did the RA report it to the school? I wouldn't really mention a lot about it in your PS. Seriously, how many kids drink at college before they're 21, maybe 90%!!!!! I don't think it's a big deal.

Good Luck to you! :D

I have never heard of something like this being a disaster to anyone's application, and I went to school with some people who definitely got consumption citations and ended up in an MD program. For my own part, I would not dwell on this either mentally or on an app. It's not a felony; it may not even be a misdemeanor. Why let it dominate you?

Members don't see this ad :)
In my old state, intoxication as a minor was a misdemeanor, and was expunged from your record after a certain time. Check the law in the state in which this happened.

On reapps, just reapply. Unless you have time and are going to devote yourself full-time to making your score higher, don't bother. You've got some interviews, you need to apply to more schools and to a wider range of schools - not just the ivies.

Thank you so much for your replies, and good luck to all of you as well!

I would ask where you applied and how many schools you applied to? With your scores, though the MCAT is a LITTLE below the mean, but not too much, you are a pretty strong candidate. Good ECs, great GPA, so so MCAT, but not a horrible one. I would say apply broadly and only retake the MCAT if you are sure you can do better, but I don't think that should be your first course of action.

Is D.O. out of the question for you personally, cause for most of their schools you are very competative?

I didn't apply to very many schools (about 4) which I realize now was a big mistake. The schools I applied to weren't ivies, but not a wide range either. I also didn't apply to DO schools this last year, but am considering it now. Assuming I can raise my MCAT score a couple points, how many schools would you recommend applying to?

With your stats and your current MCAT, I think you could have gotten Allopathic acceptances if you applied to ~25 schools.

If you retake and and get 30+ on your MCAT, you should be fine with applying to ~15 schools . . . IMHO.

I also think you would get into Osteopathic schools with your current stats.

Good luck, and apply to more schools! :D