Reapplying after 3 years would appreciate advice/thoughts on my app, chances, and school selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leowyatt11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, don't think I've posted on here before but I figured it might be time to ask for some help. I am reapplying this cycle (2020) and would really appreciate your thoughts on my chances of getting in this time around, as well as some help in picking the schools y'all think I have the best shot at. After extensively looking thru MSAR and putting together multiple excel spreadsheets, I ended up choosing 50 schools to apply to.. But I know thats probably way too many. Anyway here are my stats and whatnot.

• Year in school: Graduated from UF in Spring 2015, currently working as medical assistant for a General Surgeon (Hired in November 2018)

• Country/state of residence: USA, FL

• Schools to which you are applying: Theres about 50 of them that I narrowed it down to.. But I know I have to get rid of at least 10 more. These are in no apparent order of importance to me, just alphabetical.. kinda
    • Einstein, Case W, Central Mich, FAU, Creighton, Hofstra, Drexel, Emory, FIU, FSU
    • Dartmouth, George Wash, Georgetown, Hackensak, Indiana, Buffalo, Temple, LSU New Orleans, MCWisconsin (milwaukee)
    • NOVA, NYMC, Penn state, Vermont, Rush, Rutgers, St Louis, Jefferson, SUNY Down and Upstate
    • Tufts, Tulane, UA Tucson, U colorado, U connecticut, U maryland, U mass, U miami, U Minnesota, U toledo, UAB birmingham
    • UCF, UF, USC greenville, USF, vanderbilt, VCU (commonwealth), wake forest, wayne state, wright state, and WVU (West VA)

• Cumulative GPA: 3.99

• Science GPA: 3.97

• MCAT Scores: Previous scores were very low, a 25 and a 26. Taken in 2014. After moving back home in late 2018, around the same time I began working for the job I currently have (mentioned above), I also started studying to retake the MCAT.
    • Was not easy but took it in April 2019 and got a 509, it says 77th percentile.
  • Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc):
    • Essentially I have nothing in this department:
      • 1 semester, in the Entomology Department (I would say it was non-medical forrsure)

• Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites
    • 2 Medical Mission Trips to the Dominican Republic (2013 and 2014), 1 week each (it was during Spring Break) so I put 100 hrs total

• Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties
    • 300 Hours; General Surgeon
    • Also, when I was working for an Orthopedic Surgeon back in 2015 I was allowed to shadow him and watch as he performed surgery (Made sure only to do that when my work in office was all caught up) but I don't have an exact number of hours.. I wrote about it in my app but it is lumped together with the work experience (paid employment- medical/clinical) .

• Non-clinical volunteering
    • Over 500 Hours volunteering in an adolescent palliative care organization offering support for patients ages 13-25 suffering from life limiting illnesses. Started in August 2012 and ended when I graduated May 2015. Was made shift leader my last year, wrote about it in app.

• These next two volunteer gigs were done at the same elementary school I went to as a child; figured that was worth mentioning:
      • 100 hours in YMCA After school program, tutoring kids in elementary school and helping with homework etc. (2016)
      • 300 Hours in YMCA Summer Program; helped organize as well as partook in sports games, special events, summer games, and parties.

• Extracurricular activities
    • Fraternity Member (2011-2015) took an active role in chapter meetings and attended multiple philanthropies.

• Employment history
    • 1800 hours: Medical Scribe and then Promoted to Medical Assistant for an Orthopedic Surgeon (private practice) from May 2015 to May 2016

• 2000 hours: August 2016 I Moved to New York and began working for a family friend who owns multiple franchises located in Brooklyn. I worked in several of his stores (dunkin donuts, popeyes, and checkers), learning everything from making and serving the food, to managing the store and employees etc. This was only for one year, as the main objective was to become the general manager for two new restaurants he was opening (Pieology).

• 2500 hours: August 2017 began working as Pieology GM, for both stores opened (one in brooklyn and one in manhattan) worked there for a little over a year, until around October 2018. This is when I decided I was fully committed to reapplying to medschool in the summer.

• Current Employment: Medical assistant for a General Surgeon (private practice)

• Immediate family members in medicine? No
  • Specialty of interest: Would rather not say, but if asked I would say I hope to figure it out during my time in medical school, cause isn't that what rotations are for anyway?

• Shadowing experience
    • Orthopedic Surgeon

• General and Vascular Surgeon

• Graduate degrees: None

• Interest in rural health No

• Letters of recommendation:
    • I have quite a few, 3-4 of them are from people I worked closely with and had a great relationship with. My Letters from professors however, I have no idea how good they are. I know forrsure one isn't that good (a science one), the other 2 they really liked me so I hope they are good lol (one science and one non-science).

I would also like to add that the last time I applied, back in 2015-2016 (So 2016 cycle I believe), I had that super low MCAT score (25 and 26) AND I applied like SUPER LATE (didn't send in primary until late september and sent in secondaries like in October/November), yet SOMEHOW I was able to snag an interview at 5 schools: UF, NYMC, IU (Indiana), WVU (West Virginia), and UMINNESOTA (twin cities). I got waitlisted from all of them, and then ultimately was rejected. Needless to say I am 100% applying to those again, as well as all the ones in my state of residence (FL).

Anything you guys have to say/share I will appreciate so much. Don't hold back, Im a big boy lol I can take it. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Some of the top heavy schools you may want to reconsider based on your MCAT: Einstein, Case, Emory, Vanderbilt, all the SUNY schools, and UMass.

It doesn't look like you've kept up with your volunteering after you graduated. I could see that being a potential problem for schools that are extremely focused on community service.

Apply early this time around and have a quicker turn around time with your secondaries.

Reactions: 1 user
You could remove these state public schools that accept few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state or region:
Central Michigan
Buffalo
LSU
Rutgers
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
UA Tucson
Maryland
UMass
U Connecticut
Toledo
UAB Birmingham
USC Greenvile
With your MCAT of 509 Dartmouth, Einstein, Vanderbilt, Hofstra, Emory, Case Western are reaches so you can remove them.
You could add these schools:
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
TCU-UNT