ICU RN taking prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wao2221

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a current ICU RN attempting to make the transition to medicine. I'm pretty lost on how to structure my DIY post -bacc and if just doing the prereqs for med school is sufficient for my post-bacc. My current plan is as follows:

- Fall 22: Ochem 1, Bio 1
- Spring 23: ochem 2, bio 2
- Summer 23 : phys 1
- Fall 23: Phys 2, biochem
- Spring 23: another bio course, and MCAT prep

I've already completed the other prereqs required (psych, micro, stats, gen chem). I will continue to work full-time because I need support myself. My concerns regarding this plan are: does this plan show enough academic rigor? Should I be taking full-time hours? Do I need more than the minimum prereqs such as upper-level bio? Would love to submit for a 2024 matriculation. Current stats: cGPA: 3.45, sGPA: 3.45.

I welcome all criticism, feedback, and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I believe your proposed course load shows academic rigor when you consider that you are also remaining a full time ICU nurse. Make A’s during the semester with phys 2 + biochem and that will look great.

To your second question, no, because you already are a full time worker. The 40-hr job is basically a continuous 40/3 = 13 credit hour commitment. Taking one course on top of that puts you right in the pocket of what a typical college student is handling. Taking your proposed two classes each semester is plenty.

As to whether or not you should take upper-level courses, I think that depends on how you do during your undergrad pre-req’s and MCAT. A’s for those pre-req’s and a 75th + percentile MCAT and I’m sure you’ll do just fine. Nurses turning to medical school tend to make out really well during the application process, based on what I’ve seen on sdn. Don’t worry about those upper-levels unless you biff the pre-req’s.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a former ICU RN and current M1. I did take about 16-20 credits of UD bio courses but other than biochem, I wouldn't say any were completely essential, though they were helpful for the MCAT.
I took 2 courses at a time while working full time - the question of academic rigor never came up - all of the physician that I spoke to on the interview trail were impressed enough with my ICU experience. Make sure you get A's in these classes, do well on the MCAT (>510), and have a coherent narrative you can weave through your essays and interviews and you will definitely have a shot. Feel free to reach out to me for any questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm a current ICU RN attempting to make the transition to medicine. I'm pretty lost on how to structure my DIY post -bacc and if just doing the prereqs for med school is sufficient for my post-bacc. My current plan is as follows:

- Fall 22: Ochem 1, Bio 1
- Spring 23: ochem 2, bio 2
- Summer 23 : phys 1
- Fall 23: Phys 2, biochem
- Spring 23: another bio course, and MCAT prep

I've already completed the other prereqs required (psych, micro, stats, gen chem). I will continue to work full-time because I need support myself. My concerns regarding this plan are: does this plan show enough academic rigor? Should I be taking full-time hours? Do I need more than the minimum prereqs such as upper-level bio? Would love to submit for a 2024 matriculation. Current stats: cGPA: 3.45, sGPA: 3.45.

I welcome all criticism, feedback, and advice.
Maybe take an additional class for the fall and spring semesters. You'll want to show that you can handle these classes full time and the extra class should give you a bump to your GPA. Take an easy non science course with them.

Ochem lecture and lab are usually 5 credits and bio is typically 4 so that's 9. Most colleges have easy 3 credit minimal work classes that students use as a GPA booster.