ID check for control Rx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mona2004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In CA. Can we fill a C2 Rx for a pt how has ID but it is expired few months ago (either regular or non regular pharmacy pt) and it's for legitimate use like cancer treatment...?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I don't know specifically about CA law, but I would assume an expired ID would not be legally acceptable (it isn't for pseudoephedrine purchases.)

I will personally take a recently expired ID once, and document it such that it will not be accepted a second time. One expired a few months ago, I wouldn't take at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
An expired ID as far as the law is concerned is 100% invalid. Do you have to ID patients in CA? I'v never asked for an ID in my state unless it's a Mexican that I can't find in the computer.

If it someone with cancer I probably would handle it like zelman. If it's your typical 180 Norco for lower back pain or Adderall script I'd probably just be an ass and not sell it until they get a new ID assuming ID is required in your state for C2.

It's not mandatory yet in CA, but the BOP recommends it. So I enforce it strictly. I wish they make it a law though so I can just post it at drop off or drive through so I don't have to explain why we need to see your ID when you drop off a controlled script.

I would only make exceptions for expired IDs if they are regular patients and you know them well (but tell them next time you can't do that). Otherwise, see ya.

Anyone else get at least 1 person a week that tries to use a prison ID?

Oh and I also love when they come through drive-thru and don't have an ID, that happens at least once per day.

Reactions: 1 user
In states where it's the law to have id the chains require the cashier to swipe/scan the id into the system just like with the PSE sales.