Ideal Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering getting my EMT-basic this semester to begin logging my clinical hours while doing my post-bacc to complete the med school pre-reqs, and am wondering if anyone has an opinion on what ADCOMs prefer as ideal clinical experience?

I've heard one or two negative anecdotes about EMT training not being well suited for a future MD, but not certain on the reliability of those sources.

So, what is the ideal clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm considering getting my EMT-basic this semester to begin logging my clinical hours while doing my post-bacc to complete the med school pre-reqs, and am wondering if anyone has an opinion on what ADCOMs prefer as ideal clinical experience?

I've heard one or two negative anecdotes about EMT training not being well suited for a future MD, but not certain on the reliability of those sources.

So, what is the ideal clinical experience?

Family Practice. That is what I have heard over and over again. It is cool to see surgery and do that sort of thing but when it comes down to it the primary care shadowing is what most ADCOMs look for the most. Also, do not rely on just having EMT training and being "on-call" as medical experience. That is being an EMT not shadowing a doctor. Totally different in respect to job and with respect to what the ADCOMs want you to show you have done.

I agree that shadowing primary care is one of the most helpful experiences. I also shadowed a gastroenterologist, even though I had 0 interest in the field. It was one of the best things I could have done because it showed me that I was interested in what doctors did on a day to day basis, not just what 1 type (that I had interest in) did. I mean honestly, unless you go in gunning for primary care no one knows what they're going to match into at this point.

This also led to a great interview chat. :thumbup: