If i accept an admission offer from a DO school, will MD schools be notified that I have done so?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Basketballgears

Reaction score
Im asking because i recently got accepted to a DO school in my state but they gave me 2 weeks to decide if i am actually going to attend. Im very fortunate to have this opportunity and would love to attend their program but there are still a good number of schools I havent heard from (both MD and DO) that are closer to where i live and would make life quite a bit cheaper. So far, I have read that if you accept the admission offer and you change your mind, you lose the deposit (i think) but my main question is whether id kill my chances at these other schools I havent heard back from if i take this offer. Ive read that other MD schools will know you took an admission offer from another MD school but i dont know about DO to MD. Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A school requiring a 2 week notice of accepting their offer this early in the cycle sounds predatory and shady AF. I know there's a lot of mismanagement at DO schools around the country but I haven't heard of this before like May/June (although I am not surprised).

No, schools operating through AMCAS will not be made aware of any traffic you have on the AACOMAS side of things.

I'd ask how many interviews you've already had/have invitations for before paying the deposit at this school. Plus, just follow your gut instinct about what's right for you.

Reactions: 1 user
A school requiring a 2 week notice of accepting their offer this early in the cycle sounds predatory and shady AF. I know there's a lot of mismanagement at DO schools around the country but I haven't heard of this before like May/June (although I am not surprised).

No, schools operating through AMCAS will not be made aware of any traffic you have on the AACOMAS side of things.

I'd ask how many interviews you've already had/have invitations for before paying the deposit at this school. Plus, just follow your gut instinct about what's right for you.
Ive had 2 interviews, bot with DO schools, and got waitlisted at one while i got accepted at the other. I applied to around 15 MD's and got rejected from 3 so far (none of those rejections have been from places on my side of the country). I honestly dont know what to do because while i havent heard back from any of the schools on the top of my priority list, but i do not want to gamble with the A i currently have. Im thinking to take the acceptance if the MD schools do not see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive had 2 interviews, bot with DO schools, and got waitlisted at one while i got accepted at the other. I applied to around 15 MD's and got rejected from 3 so far (none of those rejections have been from places on my side of the country). I honestly dont know what to do because while i havent heard back from any of the schools on the top of my priority list, but i do not want to gamble with the A i currently have. Im thinking to take the acceptance if the MD schools do not see.
How much is the deposit? I'm assuming around ~$1,000? If it is really going to jeopardize your only A, then you have to pay it. If you get into a MD school and lose that deposit, you won't even miss it as it will be a drop in the bucket to your total overall medical education. (Also, most MD schools typically just silently reject people at the end of the cycle, so plan on getting rejected from all of them and any interviews that you may get at this point as being a pleasant surprise).

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
1) DO schools do not participate in AMCAS so do not have access to Choose Your Medical School. MD programs will not know if you accepted a spot for medical school at a DO program, the Caribbean, Australia, or the Moon unless they are part of CYMS.

2) Other DO schools could find out if you accepted an offer through AACOMAS, I think after March. I need to see the AACOMAS traffic rules

3) Unless a standard protocol for accepting offers exists, two weeks or 15 days to accept an offer is a general protocol for most graduate programs, up until a certain period of time before matriculation. I'm trying to find a source on this.

4) Here are the AACOMAS Traffic Guidelines.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users