If I were to get dismissed from medical school, how likely would it be that I can make a deal with the school to enroll in its Pharm school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PirellitTyres

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't taken the pcat, but my mcat is 512 and undergrad gpa 3.6. I'm hoping the school will let me repeat again, but I'm facing the dismissal committee and this is my 2nd failure in pre-clinical (although the first time there was a valid approved medical reason).At the dismissal hearing, I Dont know if i should bring this up as a possible solution (kind of like a plea bargain in a criminal trial). I almost passed med school, so I feel like I will likely pass pharmacy school since its a lot easier. They may still allow me to remediate but I will happily take the plea bargain if they offered it rather than risk dismissal and end up with nothing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
  • Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
EDIT: believe me when I write this, but I'm not trying to kick you when you are down. But you are not dealing with reality very well.

You're about to be dismissed from medical school. Why would the medical school care about you going to the pharmacy school??? And why would the pharmacy school accept somebody who has such a major red flag as someone who failed an entire semester in the first year, had to take a leave of absence, and then failed another semester in their second year??

And why do you think pharmacy school would be easier?? What have you done to change your studying style that would help you make it through pharmacy school? Almost passing is still failing.

I strongly suggest that you withdraw, before you get dismissed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Agree with above. The school doesn’t really gain anything by admitting you to another one of their professional schools.

Furthermore, I think this post is really showing a lack of insight. You didn’t “almost pass med school”. In a two year period, you almost passed the first year of med school.

Sorry this is happening to you. You’re focus of a “plea bargain” type scenario should be requesting the dismissal be changed to a withdrawal. Take some time, and reassess what you really want. I’m sure that a month or two ago you really wanted to be a doctor. It won’t look like you’ve learned anything from this experience if you all of a sudden want to be a pharmacist just because you think it’ll be easy.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sucks this is happening to you but your best hopes are being allowed to remediate/repeat the year or being allowed to withdraw. There’s absolutely no reason the pharmacy school would want to take that big of a risk on essentially their sister school’s washout. Sorry, OP.

Reactions: 3 users
Pharmacy is over saturated. Just go to those forums to check it out. You don’t want to take loans and then not be able to get a job that pays enough to pay them back

Reactions: 5 users
You would need to apply like anyone else. But rather, try not to get dismissed in the first place. See if they will let you do an LOA and repeat year

Reactions: 2 users
I would just see this as a dodged bullet and go find something to do outside of healthcare altogether. What was your undergrad major in?

You really think this is a possibility? Why? I didn’t know bargaining with the academic board was a thing. Do let us know what happens.

• Love
The two schools are certainly separate and run by different people. One school can't offer you admission to the other one. If you suggest this, they will tell you that you'll just need to apply to the pharm school and they will evaluate your application. There's no deal to be made here.

• Love
I would just see this as a dodged bullet and go find something to do outside of healthcare altogether. What was your undergrad major in?
Listen, I just got dismissed from my program for failing a course during a repeat year.

I'm really trying to see this as a blessing in disguise. God somehow shielding me from medicine because I won't be happy here ( I am starting to get an inkling that a high stress job forever may in fact not be good for me). I think the last two years showed me high stress all the time is harder for me to deal with than my peers.

I'm going back for my master's in Bioinformatics ( that's what my college degree is in) , and I feel like my time in medschool showed me this is actually better for me. Decent earning potential to get myself out of my financial hole ( I'm extremely lucky in that my parents could help me with living costs, my school doesn't require full tuition for the repeat year, and I went to my local state school with a scholarship so no college debt). Much less stress may actually be better for me in the long run. I'm really trying to see it that way.

I need to stay away from anyone who implies I won't reach my full potential outside of medicine lol.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
512 MCAT, 3.6 GPA - You didn't fail because you aren't smart enough. You need to really understand why you failed. Until you have a good answer to that question that shows true insight, nobody is going to touch you.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.