If I'm from a med school without a home program...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uvajrl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2 or 3 aways rotations? Honestly, I have read and heard many times that it just is up to what you feel comfortable with, but I'd like to see if there is anyone out there with some experience from my point of view.

I understand there may be diminishing returns in doing 3 rotations over 2, but would anyone strongly recommend against doing 3 aways (yes, they would be back-to-back-to-back, July - September)

If someone with experience from this kind of background, has additional advice, I would appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Do as many aways as you can. Uro is super competitive, the more exposure you get at programs the better.

Survivor DO

Do as many aways as you can. Uro is super competitive, the more exposure you get at programs the better.

Survivor DO

Second this. I don't think there are diminishing returns at all. It's your only opportunity to impress people at a program and your only opportunity to find out how a program really operates and if it is a good fit. Especially if you don't have a home program you should get out there for three. You need the letters.

A third echo of agreement here.

I did not have a home program. I think I may have hit the record for most away rotations last cycle haha. I focused on getting a couple big name/insitution LORs in the earlier rotations. The latter half I spent time at places I knew I wanted to end up. One: you are there after you have gotten your feet wet on Uro rotations- and Two: you are showing face when the program begins to make decisions on who to invite and who they like.