"If you don't have an interview invitation by Thanksgiving, you're in trouble"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So given what has been said in this thread, is it an accurate conclusion to assume that most of the IIs that remain to be handed out will go to people who have already gotten other IIs, rather than people who don't have any at all?

Members don't see this ad.

The committe letter writer's dont think its important to submit it as soon as possible... I could've been complete a month and a half earlier if it wasn't for that.

I agree that there seems to be a disconnect between premed advisors/CL writers and the trend to submit early.
Over the holiday weekend, an applicant and her family were surprised to hear that her Sept submission was "late" since her school's advising team had indicated that she was "on schedule." She's received no II's.

I don't know how most schools do their Committee Interviews, but since it appears that many don't do any over the summer, that seems to cause a built-in delay.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my first II on Thanksgiving day and just got another one this morning. :) Completed in September - October. I don't think I have any 'hooks' per se. Don't give up hope guys!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
I got my first II on Thanksgiving day and just got another one this morning. :) Completed in September - October. I don't think I have any 'hooks' per se. Don't give up hope guys!

Congrats! Have you gotten an II from an instate public?

Reactions: 1 user
The committe letter writer's dont think its important to submit it as soon as possible... I could've been complete a month and a half earlier if it wasn't for that.
Exactly why I avoided this at my UG; they're notorious for "I'll do it when I get to it." I was not going to risk being complete in Sept.

Kansas doesn't review OOS apps or send out OOS IIs until January. I can't imagine they're the only school with this sort of policy.

Kansas doesn't review OOS apps or send out OOS IIs until January. I can't imagine they're the only school with this sort of policy.

Interesting. I wonder which other public SOMs have this policy for OOS applicants? I know that the two public SOMs in my state did not have that policy during my cycle (don't know if that's changed).

I know Wisconsin doesn't. I know a Texas resident who was accepted to UW earlier this month (and she doesn't go to a Wisconsin undergrad, either).

Nope. Both of my IIs are from oos private schools.

Good luck! Study each school's mission, its strength areas, have some intelligent questions in reserve, and know something about each city. And as my parents would (too often! :p ) remind me: Good eye contact, good grooming, handshake, no fidgeting, be polite to everyone, speak clearly, complete sentences, no rambling, and have a pleasant default expression on your face. :luck:

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck! Study each school's mission, its strength areas, have some intelligent questions in reserve, and know something about each city. And as my parents would (too often! :p ) remind me: Good eye contact, good grooming, handshake, no fidgeting, be polite to everyone, speak clearly, complete sentences, no rambling, and have a pleasant default expression on your face. :luck:

Thanks!

Personally, I considered the first 2 weeks of July on time, mid-end July alright, August kinda late, and September really late. There were stats on AAMC that showed the % admitted based on submit date dropping from 30% on week one to less than 10% by late August. Anyone but the perfect applicant should take advantage of applying early in my opinion - it's a shame more aren't t aware of these stats.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What prevents people from applying as early as possible? As a non applicant, I'm asking that out of curiosity since I don't know, im not trying to be an arse. Don't you have a full month to work on the app before submitting?
It means you have to write your apps in your last year of school instead of the gap year like you wanted to, and it majorly sucks!

Personally, I considered the first 2 weeks of July on time, mid-end July alright, August kinda late, and September really late. There were stats on AAMC that showed the % admitted based on submit date dropping from 30% on day one to less than 10% day 2. Anyone but the perfect applicant should take advantage of applying early in my opinion - it's a shame more aren't t aware of these stats.

I have never seen these stats on AAMC. Do you have a link/source for them, I've never seen them amongst the variety of AAMC data tables that incorporate things from race to demographics etc.

Personally, I considered the first 2 weeks of July on time, mid-end July alright, August kinda late, and September really late. There were stats on AAMC that showed the % admitted based on submit date dropping from 30% on day one to less than 10% day 2. Anyone but the perfect applicant should take advantage of applying early in my opinion - it's a shame more aren't t aware of these stats.

What? That doesn't sound right. I've seen the graphs of how acceptance rates drop over the course of the cycle, but nowhere near as sharply as that.

I have never seen these stats on AAMC. Do you have a link/source for them, I've never seen them amongst the variety of AAMC data tables that incorporate things from race to demographics etc.

highly doubt there is that much of a difference between day 1 and 2 lol

Reactions: 4 users
highly doubt there is that much of a difference between day 1 and 2 lol
There isnt - but there is between week 1 and 3!

I'll dig the stats up guys :) (currently got home from a week of interviews and not feeling good/in bed, so may take me a day or so!)

I agree! I applied mid/late July (don't remember exact date now), and I felt THAT was almost late. AMCAS gets backed up (and even worse in later cycles), so getting verified when you apply late July can mean 6 weeks before verification. Think I about it....if you apply in early June, AMCAS isn't backed up, so they can verify within a short time.

Where did you see those stats on AAMC. It makes sense, and I'd like to see that to show younger friends and family members who'd like to apply during some future cycle.

Last edited:
I submitted my app in august but my mcat score wasn't released until the end of september. I feel like it hasn't affected me that much by applying late. I got 3 II before thanksgiving and my app is in no way outstanding. I'm just wondering if people over exaggerate applying early sometimes.

I submitted my app in august but my mcat score wasn't released until the end of september. I feel like it hasn't affected me that much by applying late. I got 3 II before thanksgiving and my app is in no way outstanding. I'm just wondering if people over exaggerate applying early sometimes.

It's not an exaggeration. It can depend on what state you're from and your app list, tho. It can even depend on your gender or other status.

What state are you in? What schools have given you IIs?

It's not an exaggeration. It can depend on what state you're from and your app list, tho. It can even depend on your gender or other status.

What state are you in? What schools have given you IIs?
You're right. I don't really mean it's over exaggeration. I do believe it is important to apply early but at the same time, I feel like if you're ready you should apply in september even if you think it's too late. I almost did not apply this cycle because of the prevailing thought that it was too late for me. I'm glad I did though.

Don't want to give up my anonymity, but I'm from one of the southern states, I have 1 instate II, and 2 OOS II.

You're right. I don't really mean it's over exaggeration. I do believe it is important to apply early but at the same time, I feel like if you're ready you should apply in september even if you think it's too late. I almost did not apply this cycle because of the prevailing thought that it was too late for me. I'm glad I did though.

Don't want to give up my anonymity, but I'm from one of the southern states, I have 1 instate II, and 2 OOS II.

I understand your desire for anonymity. I found that southern states' public SOMs are less intense about the need to submit early. Premed advisors think Sept applications are fine. Some of the southern SOMs need more females, so a late-ish app from a qualified female will still get considered.

Good luck!

I highly doubt that submitting the first vs second day in July has a 20% impact of if you'll be admitted. I doubt July vs August even has much of an impact as well.

You can't even make an causial inference between date of application and acceptance rates, those numbers and statistics are meaningless other than pretty percents to look at.

Those who apply early, like the first of July or the month of July in general have their **** together, are well informed on the application process, have all the boxes checked, already have a MCAT score etc. As you depart July into August, the applicants likely get less informed about the application process, and you have people waiting for MCAT scores. These people may not understand all the important components of applying. Most people submit their primaries to get verified while they wait for their mcat scores. Well when they get their score back that sucks, they've already applied and are a part of that statistic even though they may have had no business applying otherwise with that mcat score. Saying that applying the first vs second day of July as having a direct impact on your chances is absolutely garbage.

July is early, August is still early, Sept. is on time, maybe towards the end of Sept. is late, and everything after that is late.

I highly doubt that submitting the first vs second day in July has a 20% impact of if you'll be admitted. I doubt July vs August even has much of an impact as well.

You can't even make an causial inference between date of application and acceptance rates, those numbers and statistics are meaningless other than pretty percents to look at.

Those who apply early, like the first of July or the month of July in general have their **** together, are well informed on the application process, have all the boxes checked, already have a MCAT score etc. As you depart July into August, the applicants likely get less informed about the application process, and you have people waiting for MCAT scores. These people may not understand all the important components of applying. Most people submit their primaries to get verified while they wait for their mcat scores. Well when they get their score back that sucks, they've already applied and are a part of that statistic even though they may have had no business applying otherwise with that mcat score. Saying that applying the first vs second day of July as having a direct impact on your chances is absolutely garbage.

July is early, August is still early, Sept. is on time, maybe towards the end of Sept. is late, and everything after that is late.
I said weeks, not days.

I said weeks, not days.

Was this post an error?

Reactions: 3 users
you said days originally. But it seems odd that there would be that much difference even between a couple weeks

Weeks can make a difference with how backed up AMCAS gets.

I don't know how SOMs do their II scheduling. I think it's safe to assume that each does its own thing. Meaning, some may start issueing IIs in late July, some may wait til Sept to even start reviewing apps. Some may host interviews on multiple days a week; some may just host 1-2 days a week. Some may issue a cluster of IIs, fill a month or so, and then take a "wait and see where we are approach."

Since there are so many unknowns, and everyone has a different app list, the possible negative effects of submitting on X date rather than a few weeks later is uncertain.

Weeks can make a difference with how backed up AMCAS gets.

I don't know how SOMs do their II scheduling. I think it's safe to assume that each does its own thing. Meaning, some may start issueing IIs in late July, some may wait til Sept to even start reviewing apps. Some may host interviews on multiple days a week; some may just host 1-2 days a week. Some may issue a cluster of IIs, fill a month or so, and then take a "wait and see where we are approach."

Since there are so many unknowns, and everyone has a different app list, the possible negative effects of submitting on X date rather than a few weeks later is uncertain.
I've seen adcoms on here say it doesn't make that much of a difference as long as one is complete in august, as that is when most schools start giving out interviews. However, there is no reason to delay an app if it's in your control

as long as one is complete in august

Sounds good. But, as more and more apply early, it pushes back verification. When I applied, we were told it takes about a month to verify if you applied in July. Then, during the next cycle, I was noticing that AMCAS was saying 6-8 weeks.

No IIs by turkey = No MD. Shout it from your rooftops, guys.

Jesus people I know most of us are neurotic but get a grip.

Ok so, update on the data! It was actually from a private admissions consultant that gave a series of lectures at the MCAT prep class I did a while ago. He had requested the raw data from AAMC then apparently went to town in excel :p

Ok so, update on the data! It was actually from a private admissions consultant that gave a series of lectures at the MCAT prep class I did a while ago. He had requested the raw data from AAMC then apparently went to town in excel :p
I find it hard to believe that acceptance rate would be 30% and then 10% when the overall rate of acceptance among applicants is 40%.

Why do they even bother accepting secondary applications through the end of the year if they're only going to accept people who apply in the first week? Are they just trying to collect fees?

Why do they even bother accepting secondary applications through the end of the year if they're only going to accept people who apply in the first week? Are they just trying to collect fees?
I feel like they do >.< super unfair

I don't think anyone is saying that. The advice has been to apply early; try to apply before August. No one is saying that if you apply in August or Sept that, for sure, you won't get any II's or acceptances. The advice just suggests that the later you apply, the worse your chances are because interview spots are limited.

It's possible that med schools have some preference for the type of person who applies early?? Maybe it sends a message that this person "has his $#!+ together"? Maybe it suggests that the person is less likely to be a procrastinator? Possibly.

lol...but yes, I do think some SOMs like collecting fees...same with secondary fees. I know someone who submitted a secondary to UChicago after midnight CST, and received a rejection before 7 am. What's the likelyhood that human eyes reviewed her secondary? I think she should have challenged her credit card charge.

I don't think anyone is saying that. The advice has been to apply early; try to apply before August. No one is saying that if you apply in August or Sept that, for sure, you won't get any II's or acceptances. The advice just suggests that the later you apply, the worse your chances are because interview spots are limited.

It's possible that med schools have some preference for the type of person who applies early?? Maybe it sends a message that this person "has his $#!+ together"? Maybe it suggests that the person is less likely to be a procrastinator? Possibly.

lol...but yes, I do think some SOMs like collecting fees...same with secondary fees. I know someone who submitted a secondary to UChicago after midnight CST, and received a rejection before 7 am. What's the likelyhood that human eyes reviewed her secondary? I think she should have challenged her credit card charge.

I was complete mid July to early August at all of my schools. Applied to approximately 25 MD schools. Only 2 II's so far and one of them has turned into a waitlist. MD seems impossible to get.

I think it would be unfair of schools to assume things like that about students based on when they were able to apply. Sometimes it's just not possible to apply early. I had several issues including waiting on my MCAT score and not having enough money to apply to all of my schools at the same time.

It's definitely a racket in some ways. What happened to your friend is awful. Shameless!

I think it would be unfair of schools to assume things like that about students based on when they were able to apply. Sometimes it's just not possible to apply early. I had several issues including waiting on my MCAT score and not having enough money to apply to all of my schools at the same time.

I think the issue is less that they assume things and more that there are a limited number of interview spots that fill up early. If they fill up all their interview spots before they can look at your application then you won't get an interview. It's still unfair to students that have to apply later, but it does make sense.

I think the issue is less that they assume things and more that there are a limited number of interview spots that fill up early. If they fill up all their interview spots before they can look at your application then you won't get an interview. It's still unfair to students that have to apply later, but it does make sense.
Interview spots are not filling up that drastically from the first week of applications

So I'm still questioning the idea that most of the applicants who get accepted applied in the first week. It seems highly suspect. I definitely did not apply in the first week

I wish they would just not do rolling admissions in the first place.

Interview spots are not filling up that drastically from the first week of applications

So I'm still questioning the idea that most of the applicants who get accepted applied in the first week. It seems highly suspect. I definitely did not apply in the first week

I think the focus of "applied first week" is wrong. I don't think anyone is saying that. The frequently mentioned advice is apply before Aug/Sept. That's not "first week"...that is first 8-12 weeks. I think that's a big difference.

I wish they would just not do rolling admissions in the first place.

How would that change things? The interviews would still begin at the same time.

I think rolling serves a good purpose. Someone who's been accepted to their top school thru rolling, may withdraw other apps/cancel interviews and that opens spots for others.