If You Had One Year... What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metaxzen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My resolution for 2015: Make myself the most attractive PhD/PsyD candidate I can for Fall of 2016 cohorts.

If you had one year to get yourself ready for applications what would you do to make yourself as attractive looking as possible?

I have a master's in education that I did some research for, I'm thinking trying to get that published might be a good step. I was imagining doing some volunteer research assistant work might be a help too. Any suggestions for someone who has a year to give this his best shot?

Warmly,
Anthony

Members don't see this ad.

The best thing I can think of is work in a research lab for free while getting a potential publication. That way, the worst case scenario is that you would at least learn something and then get a letter of rec.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not a doctoral student, just a prospective PhD applicant like you. Likewise, I have a year left before applying, so I don't have any advice to give. But I can share what I intend to do, based on what I've learnt from this forum and from speaking to my mentor. My plan of action is as such: assist with manuscripts that we're trying to get published; complete an honours thesis; volunteer at another lab to get an additional LOR and to get more experience; refine my research interests and keep up with my field of interest to the best of my ability; and periodically update my list of POIs/potential schools. Also, I'm going to work on my personal statement throughout the year.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user