What to do if my dream professor is not accepting students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeardedPsychStudent

Reaction score
I'm a rising junior with big dreams of getting into one of the top-funded Psy.D Programs. But today, my dream took a little bit of a hit.

Let me first say that I have a 3.9 GPA, great research experience, and all the necessary qualifications like posters/presentations and great LORs to be a top candidate. I know that it's not just about credentials and GPA, but more about finding the right "fit." So, I've been reaching out to professors, sharing my experiences, and connecting with their research interests, etc. Most of them have responded positively, saying that I would be a strong candidate for their programs and encouraging me to stay in touch and apply next year. All except one. Baylor is top of my wish list and unfortunately, the professor that I would probably be a perfect fit for emailed me today saying that, though I would most likely be a great candidate, she won't be accepting students for the 2024/2025 cycle. It's disappointing because Baylor is... Well, it's Baylor. I thought I had a really good chance of getting in considering my credentials and the fact that I work in a research lab at the V.A. with a couple of other professors with strong ties to Baylor. What do I do?

I'm 43 years old now, I'll be 44 when I apply and 45 when I start my Ph.D. so waiting another year to apply without any guarantee of acceptance is not something I'm willing to do.

Do you have any advice on other ways to get into the program? Or should I just accept this setback and focus on other programs where professors I align with are actually accepting students?

Sincerely anticipating some good advice here.

Disappointed Student

Members don't see this ad.

If they are not accepting students this year then they are not accepting students this year. It’s a huge commitment to take on a student and there are many valid reasons to stagger/take years off accepting them.

So you look at your alternatives if it’s Baylor or bust or you look at other programs. You have decided that waiting won’t work for you so that’s just life.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you have any advice on other ways to get into the program?
For pure mentorship model programs, the only way to get in would be to identify another mentor and apply with them.

But it would likely be extremely frowned upon and probably impossible to switch mentors once in a program like that (unless that switch benefits the program or is initiated by the program).
Or should I just accept this setback and focus on other programs where professors I align with are actually accepting students?
Take this with a grain of salt but IMO, the only time when not getting an acceptance from a ‘dream’ prof could be detrimental to a career is if your goal is to become a renowned researcher in our field and you literally want to follow in their research/academic footsteps AND that person is also in the top 1% of academics whose name/connections can open doors for you in the future that may remain otherwise shut.

So basically, for anybody who wants a career as a clinician or has less ambitious academic career goals, finding a suitable program with a reasonable mentor who will help us to graduate quickly should do just fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t put a professor on a pedestal.

Reactions: 10 users
Be open to the other possibilities. My first dream that was smashed was to get a job as a research assistant for the head of a psych department at a prestigious university. Everything was lining up for it right after undergrad and it fell apart. Lots of obstacles have occurred along the way since then and I just kept looking for the next opportunity. In retrospect, it has all worked to bring me to place in my career that I couldn’t really envision at the beginning of it. Good luck!

Last edited:
Agree with the above. It stinks, but onwards and upwards. No guarantees you would be accepted anyways as maybe they have other eqaully-or-more competitive folks apply that cycle.

For whatever its worth, I was accepted into graduate with someone who I didn't apply to at all (was an adjunct in psych with a primary appt in the med school I wasn't even aware could take students). This was unquestionably better for my career than getting in with most (if not all) of the people I had applied to work with.

For pure mentorship model programs, the only way to get in would be to identify another mentor and apply with them.

But it would likely be extremely frowned upon and probably impossible to switch mentors once in a program like that (unless that switch benefits the program or is initiated by the program).

Take this with a grain of salt but IMO, the only time when not getting an acceptance from a ‘dream’ prof could be detrimental to a career is if your goal is to become a renowned researcher in our field and you literally want to follow in their research/academic footsteps AND that person is also in the top 1% of academics whose name/connections can open doors for you in the future that may remain otherwise shut.

So basically, for anybody who wants a career as a clinician or has less ambitious academic career goals, finding a suitable program with a reasonable mentor who will help us to graduate quickly should do just fine.
I can see where you are coming from, for sure. I do realize that the professor won't make or break my career, I guess the part of me that labels someone a "dream professor" is someone who aligns with my specific and narrow research interests. THUS makes it more likely that I will get accepted into a PhD program. To be honest, my family has been incredibly supportive in regards to me giving up my very profitable career to change paths and go after my dream of being a clinical director/clinician. I don't think they would be ok with me taking a year off from school to wait for another cycle so I am doing everything I can to get into a program.

Agree with the above. It stinks, but onwards and upwards. No guarantees you would be accepted anyways as maybe they have other eqaully-or-more competitive folks apply that cycle.

For whatever its worth, I was accepted into graduate with someone who I didn't apply to at all (was an adjunct in psych with a primary appt in the med school I wasn't even aware could take students). This was unquestionably better for my career than getting in with most (if not all) of the people I had applied to work with.
How does THIS happen when so much emphasis is not put on getting the right "match"? I am still applying to like 12-15 programs so I guess it COULD happen!?!? Right??

Be open to the other possibilities. My first dream that was smashed was to get a job as a research assistant for the head of a psych department at a prestigious university. Everything was lining up for it right after undergrad and it fell apart. Lots of obstacles have occurred along the way since then and I just kept looking for the next opportunity. In retrospec, it has all worked to bring me to place in my career that I couldn’t really envision at the beginning of it. Good luck!
For sure!! I am 100% open and ok with any of the 12-15 programs I believe I will apply to and also to the fact that I may add or subtract some or several schools from my list between now and then. I am 100% ok with going where my "destiny" leads me.

How does THIS happen when so much emphasis is not put on getting the right "match"? I am still applying to like 12-15 programs so I guess it COULD happen!?!? Right??

I was applying to labs based on what I wanted to do, but not necessarily what I had extensive experience doing. In hindsight, the reason I had extensive experience doing that thing is because it was an incredibly well-funded area with lots of available jobs/funding. I'm still able to bridge back to my original area as there is overlap, but what I do now has provided more opportunities.

While there are exceptions, most people's interests evolve some over the course of a career. Fit at the graduate-school level is honestly pretty crass for the most part - some graduate students might come in with an interest in say "the neuroscientific basis for eating disorders" but most won't have an interest in "The integration of white tract structure as indexed by DTI with resting state BOLD scans for delineating the neurocognitive pathways of food craving." Dozens of people fit under the former umbrella just in the US. The latter is probably somewhere between 0 and 1 people on earth and that person may or may not be a good mentor for other reasons (e.g., some people are checked out, some people are spread too thin, some people are total dinguses).

I guess the part of me that labels someone a "dream professor" is someone who aligns with my specific and narrow research interests. THUS makes it more likely that I will get accepted into a PhD program.
One of the hardest things about being an applicant is that the factors that end up getting somebody an offer versus maybe not even an interview are super arbitrary.

Even when you think you're checking off appropriate boxes, it's still very much a crapshoot. You might think you're a perfect fit and the prof might not think your application is any different from the others they are reviewing. Or maybe they are wanting to go in a different direction with their future research & pigeon hole you as somebody only interested in their previous work and not offer you an interview.

And you can feel really shaky about a place but that prof is super excited to meet you and vet you during the interview process.

I had a school/well published prof who I thought was out of my league give me an offer (that I ultimately declined for other reasons, which turned out to be the right choice) and other programs where I thought I would be very competitive not even offer an interview.

So hang in there and apply broadly and hopefully find an offer that makes sense. If the goal is to get into a solid program and move on with your career, Baylor isn't a good bet because they are punching way above their weight in terms of apps received versus quality of training provided simply because they are one of the only funded PsyDs and have a good reputation.

If they became a Clinical Psych PhD tomorrow with no actual programmatic changes, I bet they'd lose a huge chunk of their applicant pool, which speaks more to the marketing of PhD vs PsyD. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I was applying to labs based on what I wanted to do, but not necessarily what I had extensive experience doing. In hindsight, the reason I had extensive experience doing that thing is because it was an incredibly well-funded area with lots of available jobs/funding. I'm still able to bridge back to my original area as there is overlap, but what I do now has provided more opportunities.

While there are exceptions, most people's interests evolve some over the course of a career. Fit at the graduate-school level is honestly pretty crass for the most part - some graduate students might come in with an interest in say "the neuroscientific basis for eating disorders" but most won't have an interest in "The integration of white tract structure as indexed by DTI with resting state BOLD scans for delineating the neurocognitive pathways of food craving." Dozens of people fit under the former umbrella just in the US. The latter is probably somewhere between 0 and 1 people on earth and that person may or may not be a good mentor for other reasons (e.g., some people are checked out, some people are spread too thin, some people are total dinguses).
Thats really great advice and super helpful. If I'm REALLY honest, I have no idea what I want to study outside of general “Addiction, Childhood adversity/trauma &PTSD”…. I have general interests and can reform my interests to match pretty much any professor studying addiction as long as it’s not multi-cultural or minority studies. (Not that those areas are not important and shouldn’t be study, they are and should be, just not the demographic I m looking to treat once out of school) I’m a person in long term recovery from my own chemical dependency and know exactly the type of practice I’m looking to build post-education. Just don’t know specifically what I want to research besides just general addiction/trauma. The VA will probably be a good landing place for me as I’m currently working for a pretty well known addiction researcher there already.

Go to sleep and have another dream?

If you want to be a clinician, then the research is a means to an end. Find out who is accepting students and become interested in their work.

Reactions: 7 users
Thats really great advice and super helpful. If I'm REALLY honest, I have no idea what I want to study outside of general “Addiction, Childhood adversity/trauma &PTSD”…. I have general interests and can reform my interests to match pretty much any professor studying addiction as long as it’s not multi-cultural or minority studies. (Not that those areas are not important and shouldn’t be study, they are and should be, just not the demographic I m looking to treat once out of school) I’m a person in long term recovery from my own chemical dependency and know exactly the type of practice I’m looking to build post-education. Just don’t know specifically what I want to research besides just general addiction/trauma. The VA will probably be a good landing place for me as I’m currently working for a pretty well known addiction researcher there already.

I’ll keep my opinion to myself on the whole dream fit concept of research programs .

That said, if that’s a population you want to work with clinically , what about the LCSW masters level route? Plenty of LCSWs with their own practices, some working in the VA as well. Unless you want to focus on academic research and/or plan to do testing and assessments clinically , you don’t need a doctorate to be a clinician.

I’ll keep my opinion to myself on the whole dream fit concept of research programs .

That said, if that’s a population you want to work with clinically , what about the LCSW masters level route? Plenty of LCSWs with their own practices, some working in the VA as well. Unless you want to focus on academic research and/or plan to do testing and assessments clinically , you don’t need a doctorate to be a clinician.
I’d be ok with academic research but would prefer the V.A setting over a college, and yes I want to do assessment/testing. I’m not opposed to LCSW, I think I could enjoy that as well but for now, I’ll continue the PhD l/PsyD route.

If you want to work in a VA, I promise we are not that picky. If you are trainable and have a pulse, there is probably a job for you. I couldn't tell you the research interests of any of the psychologists here. Solid psychotherapy and assessment training will be much more attractive than anything you do in the lab at the vast majority of sites. The research is a vehicle to help you be a thoughtful, discerning clinician. The specifics are way less important. Pick something you're passionate about only because you'll be immersed in that topic for years....and years.

If you want to work in a VA, I promise we are not that picky. If you are trainable and have a pulse, there is probably a job for you.
And currently, there is a big emphasis on the pulse element hehe

• Haha
Current Baylor PsyD here!

I think our program is great (and is hopefully continuing to develop and grow in areas where it needs to). I think we offer *very* competitive training, but we're not the perfect program. The research piece is also more of an individual side hustle in the program. There is required productivity in our program structure, but it's variable by lab the actual demands and opportunities afforded to you. The individuals I know in the program who are vying for high-tier academic med centers have been burning the candle from three ends as opposed to the standard "at both ends" of graduate school. If research is a deeply important part of your future, you might be better served by a PhD.

Chase funding over all, imo. Apply broadly and keep searching. You'll be great.

I'll also say, I don't know which PI you're talking about specifically, but there is always an opportunity for intradepartmental collaboration. It's not over until that rejection comes in!

I definitely wouldn't get too hung up on one mentor - your interests are actually quite broad. I actually do <some> work in that area myself (largely driven by one of my post-docs) and can probably list a dozen or more people who do work in that area just off the top of my head (admittedly, I don't know offhand who is in a psych dept and taking students).

If you waited for the Baylor prof to take students, someone else who might be an equally good (or better mentor) then wouldn't be that year - you just have to do the best you can with these things. The good news is that if you are aiming for a clinical career, I think having the "perfect" mentor with regards to matching interests matters quite a bit less than it does for folks on an academic path. That isn't to say it doesn't matter at all, but you just need someone heavily engaged in one of those topics, with a good professional network and that can provide quality mentorship in a general sense.

I definitely wouldn't get too hung up on one mentor - your interests are actually quite broad. I actually do <some> work in that area myself (largely driven by one of my post-docs) and can probably list a dozen or more people who do work in that area just off the top of my head (admittedly, I don't know offhand who is in a psych dept and taking students).

If you waited for the Baylor prof to take students, someone else who might be an equally good (or better mentor) then wouldn't be that year - you just have to do the best you can with these things. The good news is that if you are aiming for a clinical career, I think having the "perfect" mentor with regards to matching interests matters quite a bit less than it does for folks on an academic path. That isn't to say it doesn't matter at all, but you just need someone heavily engaged in one of those topics, with a good professional network and that can provide quality mentorship in a general sense.
Would love to know your list of people who are doing work in that area. I would love to research them and find out if they re currently taking students etc.

What I did was go through the "insiders guide" and made a list of all funded programs that were doing addiction research. Cross-referenced that against my own research based on lower-tier schools that were in areas where I wanted to live like North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Virginia, etc... That gave me a rough list of about 52 schools (PhD and PsyD). Then I went through every one of those school's professor lists and found each professor for each school that was doing addiction research. That narrowed my list some and expanded it some as some schools had multiple professors in that discipline. Then I did a deep dive into each professor's research, reading papers and learning about the labs they run, etc. That narrowed my list of schools down to a tad over 30. Then I ranked those schools based on stipend amount vs cost of living, the ability for my wife to find a job in her current field/area, and finally where I would actually enjoy living for the next 4+ years with mountainous areas getting a higher ranking, and big cities with overpopulation getting lower rankings.

Then I started emailing professors, which led me to where we are now.

Reactions: 1 users