If you lost your license...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpenceRx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you lost your license to practice pharmacy what other types of employment would you seek to best utilize your skills/education. The reason you lost your license is unimportant to this question (say it wasn’t a bad reason that would prevent you from getting other jobs).

FYI – this hasn’t happened to me (I’m a student) but I thought it would be interesting to know what jobs you would look for if you were trained as a pharmacist but weren’t registered to practice.

Members don't see this ad.

Insurance claims review, pharmaceutical sales, teaching in a tech program, teaching chemistry in high school???

Members don't see this ad :)
If I lost my license and had to teach high school chem I would need to be heavily medicated, how ironic.

I would cry. A lot.

Then I have no idea what I'd do. I would do everything possible to get it back. How common is this scenario? I know a lot of people talk about "putting their license on the line" but I've never seen it happen.

Yeah, industry, tech classes is where I'd start. Possibly go on from there. Probably hard to teach techs if you "lost your license" I can't think of a reason that would be politely overlooked in terms of trying to get in front of students and teach a subject in an area you've been effectively told you're not welcome in.

I'd work as a septic tank cleaner. The guy that came to clean our tank yesterday was a laid off engineer (masters degree). He makes more hauling crap than he ever did as an engineer. He bought a small plane last year and is buying a boat later this year. I'm starting to think I'm getting into the wrong field. ;)

Does anyone know how many licenses are revoked on a yearly basis or how common it is for a pharmacist to lose their license?

A pharmacist in the store across the street was handcuffed and locked up a few months ago for stealing control drugs from her own store and was caught on tape. From what the other pharmacists are telling me, the crime doesn't warrant a revocation because it constitutes as an addiction/mental illness that can be treated. Once she serves her time, she will be allowed to get back up on her feet. Would state law come into play here or is it up to the board members to decide?

If the pharmacist was caught stealing from her own store on tape, it would be the board (State) that decides on what happen to her license. The board can be considered as the state since it is the states way of governing the profession.

Well if I did lose it, hopefully it'd be after I worked long enough to pay back the copious amounts of loans. Otherwise, I'd be screwed. I'd have to fall back on my chem BS which means teach high school or work in an environmental lab making less than most pharm techs. Actually...maybe I'd just be a tech for life. Or...get on reality tv and get lots of $ that way.

I went to highschool with a guy that later became a pharmacist. He helped himself to drugs at his pharmacy and lost his license. Last time I saw him he was working check-out at Wal-mart (nowhere near the pharmacy of course). From what I was told, he will never be able to get his license back. Even though he deserved to lose his license, I feel really bad for him. He was probably the most brilliant person I ever met. Extremely book smart. No common sense though apparently.

It is really scary to loose what you have been working so hard to achieve. After reading this threat, I wonder what else does a pharmacist commit to have his license revoked? Not that I want to commit one but to avoid them.

Members don't see this ad :)
blackcherry, that's a good quesiton but I think you should start a new thread for your question so this thread can stay on topic :cool:

I read a board meeting summary where a guy lost his license for getting busted with illegal drugs. He went to work in a rural area as a carpenter. Four years later he petitioned to get his license back but was denied because he didn't complete the mandatory rehab/counseling/peer involvment programs.

I read a board meeting summary where a guy lost his license for getting busted with illegal drugs. He went to work in a rural area as a carpenter. Four years later he petitioned to get his license back but was denied because he didn't complete the mandatory rehab/counseling/peer involvment programs.

Why this one could petitioned while Glowyrm's guy can't? What are other reasons to lose your license, besides controlled drugs mishandling? I've heard some states revoke it if you cant pay your student loans? Whats next-- a bar fight, DUI?

Why this one could petitioned while Glowyrm's guy can't? What are other reasons to lose your license, besides controlled drugs mishandling? I've heard some states revoke it if you cant pay your student loans? Whats next-- a bar fight, DUI?

What I was told was second hand info. He may have been able to petition and was turned down or chose not to petition.

What I was told was second hand info. He may have been able to petition and was turned down or chose not to petition.

Maybe it varies by state. I think the CO board of pharmacy makes an effort to make second chances available (whether it's through remedial education or rehab).

The thought of losing my license (even my intern license) is too hard to face. I've worked so hard get to this point. I can't imagine what I'd do and trying to come up with this plan B is just too much to contemplate.

if you were caught with illegal drugs, can you still practice in any health field? If I were to lose my license (not a pharmd yet btw) I would stick to health. maybe MD, PA, RN? better than walmart checkout and carpenter as mentioned above.

if you were caught with illegal drugs, can you still practice in any health field? If I were to lose my license (not a pharmd yet btw) I would stick to health. maybe MD, PA, RN? better than walmart checkout and carpenter as mentioned above.

There is no way you could get a license to practice any health if you got your PharmD pulled perminantly

So, what about non-drug/no-theft/non-pharmacy related crimes?

gross negligence would probably cause you to lose your license, but Im not sure how bad of a mistake you would have to make.

Avrelian, you can indeed have your license to practice pharmacy suspended or revoked for DUI.

I was told that you can get your licesence pulled for any "unprofessional" act decided by the board of pharmacy. So any DUI, assult, battery, anything really. Gotta be careful.

If anything, are most commonly worry is probably getting harassed the DEA.:cool: If the DEA really wants to, they can pull their controllled substances registration from the RPh orCphT. Once that has happened, that person can longer handle medicines that are scheduled. :oops: Yes, the state can and does pull a phamacists license from time to time, but it is usually for certain such a felony conviction! :scared: We do have to worry about our reputations and know the rules/regulations of where we work at too!:laugh:
My best advice be careful and use common sense and ask questions!;)

Mike