If you were me where would you live....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xeal0007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scrolled through the forum and didn't find anything like this...

Going to be graduating soon and trying to figure out what city and/or state would be good (reasonable cost of living, ok job prospects, place to have fun, etc.) to "start" at.

anyone have any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Going to be graduating soon and trying to figure out what city and/or state would be good (reasonable cost of living, ok job prospects, place to have fun, etc.) to "start" at.

anyone have any ideas?

Depends on what you like to do and what your personality jives with. Care to share about yourself? What are your interests/hobbies? Are you opposed to specific regions of the country? Are you single and looking for nightlife and dating? Bars or clubs? Social sports like intramural kickball or dancing? Cultural things like museums and music venues? Just big concert venues or small places for no name garage bands or indie artists? What do you consider "affordable"? Do yoy expect to need to fly anywhere? Do you expect to explore mostly the city you live in or the entire region? Big city or small city? Ocean or mountains? You can't expect a good answer from others when you haven't told us anything about yourself.

I personally would rather live in a rural area. I like the lifestyle better and the added bonus is lower cost of living and less job saturation. Seems like most other students would prefer to be in a city where everything is within 10 minutes. I wouldn't like that personally; higher cost of living, houses crammed together, or worse yet you live in an apartment, plus I HATE traffic and city driving.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on what you like to do and what your personality jives with. Care to share about yourself? What are your interests/hobbies? Are you opposed to specific regions of the country? Are you single and looking for nightlife and dating? Bars or clubs? Social sports like intramural kickball or dancing? Cultural things like museums and music venues? Just big concert venues or small places for no name garage bands or indie artists? What do you consider "affordable"? Do yoy expect to need to fly anywhere? Do you expect to explore mostly the city you live in or the entire region? Big city or small city? Ocean or mountains? You can't expect a good answer from others when you haven't told us anything about yourself.

I suppose I did forget to add a little bout myself lol....
-single (24yrs old currently)
-Hobbies: working out, traveling, I love museums, and I do play intramural flag football/basketball (each rotating season)
-fun: going on groupon and meetup app and just doing random stuff I see there really lol. I moved to a new city where I knew no one when I came to pharmacy school, and that's how I would find my fun, find dates, etc.
-Affordable means to me that I can pay my living expenses (apt + Utilities +misc.) with about 2600/month "hopefully"
- and because I like to travel a lot, I don't really mind where I am too much because airports are everywhere

Really the purpose of this thread is to see where some of you all are living and if you like it there. I ask some friends, everyones telling me to head to Houston. Anyone from Houston out there?

Single 24 year old? NY, SF, Chicago, Seattle, or Los Angeles/San Diego.

You have the rest of your life to live somewhere cheap, sensible, and/or boring.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
What about DC? It's a fun place and offers many of the amenities you're seeking. Lots of young professionals, too.

New Orleans would also be fabulous and fun, though maybe not quite as up your alley. I've also heard good things about Atlanta. Houston would never have crossed my mind. Maybe Austin?

Reactions: 1 user
What about DC? It's a fun place and offers many of the amenities you're seeking. Lots of young professionals, too.

New Orleans would also be fabulous and fun, though maybe not quite as up your alley. I've also heard good things about Atlanta. Houston would never have crossed my mind. Maybe Austin?
I was thinking DC but I grew up in MD so DC has been right next door all my life. kind of a "been there done that feeling" with that place lol

You have the rest of your life to live somewhere cheap, sensible, and/or boring.

NY and LA sound great *adds that to list of options*

I was born in the DC metro area. We lived in MoCo and I'm strongly considering moving back. I really enjoyed living there, it has a lot to offer if you don't mind the ungodly high taxes and traffic. You're just a train ride away from Philly and NYC too, easy to take day or weekend trips to either city.

I don't live in Seattle, but I loved it there! As long as you can take some rain.

I was born in the DC metro area. We lived in MoCo and I'm strongly considering moving back. I really enjoyed living there, it has a lot to offer if you don't mind the ungodly high taxes and traffic. You're just a train ride away from Philly and NYC too, easy to take day or weekend trips to either city.

where do you live now, if I might ask?

anyone have any ideas?
I really enjoy:

Austin, tx
Seattle, WA
Charleston, sc
Portland, or
New orleans, la
SFO, CA
Charlotte, NC
NY
Chicago
San Diego
Nashville
Atlanta

Those are places I am familiar with and enjoy all those places. Pacific nw could be fun for a few years if you are into backpacking and camping. New orleans and austin are fun cities, I would consider living in either.

Reactions: 1 users
I was thinking DC but I grew up in MD so DC has been right next door all my life. kind of a "been there done that feeling" with that place lol

I was gonna say Baltimore, since it's affordable and lots of things to do (plus not as saturated as DC), but nevermind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really enjoy:

Austin, tx
Seattle, WA
Charleston, sc
Portland, or
New orleans, la
SFO, CA
Charlotte, NC
NY
Chicago
San Diego
Nashville
Atlanta

Those are places I am familiar with and enjoy all those places. Pacific nw could be fun for a few years if you are into backpacking and camping. New orleans and austin are fun cities, I would consider living in either.

Thanks a lot! do you know what the market for pharmacist jobs are like in Austin and/or Atlanta?

I would have said Baltimore as well. Phenomenally affordable and great social scene for young professionals.

Outside of that, Austin, Denver, Portland, Nashville.

lol nyc and sf 2600 a month, good luck

Thanks a lot! do you know what the market for pharmacist jobs are like in Austin and/or Atlanta?
Austin is pretty competitive due to the pharmacy school being there and the city's general awesomeness status. The pay is also significantly less than elsewhere in the state because everyone wants to live there.

A couple lower key options: Pittsburgh, Asheville, Missoula...

Reactions: 1 user
NYC! Yes, pay is the lowest but I don't regret coming here at all, not for a second.

Saw your extensive knowledge of California market in another thread. Has it changed at all from then?.... well as far as San Diego and LA are concerned

NYC! Yes, pay is the lowest but I don't regret coming here at all, not for a second.

visited NYC for spring break and absolutely loved it. Whats the job market looking like up there (im in MD)

Saw your extensive knowledge of California market in another thread. Has it changed at all from then?.... well as far as San Diego and LA are concerned

Still generally impacted but I've anecdotally seen a lot more openings and recruiter/agency requests for temp and short term assignments vs a few years ago

Pitt, Duquesne, LECOM, and WVU all within a stone's throw...

Everytime I'd be at something with a bunch of Duquesne students, they all looked the same and it was like something out of the Stepford Wives (they were all cool, though, don't get me wrong).

I agree with SF, LA, NYC, Chicago, but I also liked Phoenix, AZ. I think it's pretty affordable and I loved the desert weather, but that's just me. It gets colder up around Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon area.