Which would you choose??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farmacist26

Reaction score
I have worked at Walgreens since 2018. Started as a floater and became staff. My pharmacy manager moved to another store so I was left by myself with no other pharmacist. On days that I was off pharmacy would be closed (super busy location) and I would go back to over 1000 in the queue and a line of screaming patients. We have a specialty pharmacy 30min away that is basically like a private. 9-5, 3 pharmacists low stress. I asked to be transferred there many times but there was no opening. I floated there when I first started and loved it and staff loved me. I made $62/hr at WAG.

So I started applying and got a job as a PIC at Ralph’s. I never intended on being a manager but it was my way out of that hell. So now as manager I set my own schedule but have to work 12 hour shifts. So 3 12 hours and one 4 hour shift a week or if I do weekends it’s two 8 hours and two 12s. 9 min drive from my house. I don’t necessarily like the staff but not a huge deal. As PIC it’s lotssss of paperwork but low volume store. I make $68.60 at Ralph’s.

Soooo the other day I saw a job opening at this specialty Walgreens. I texted the manager there cause I know her and she said it’s a floater position between the two specialty store with “occasional” retail shifts.

I’m sooo torn because I’m dyinggg to work normal hours 9-5. Buttt… I won’t make my schedule and will have the title of “floater” again plus 30min drive.

I really want opinions of people in the field because my family thinks Ralph’s is a no brainer.

What would you do fellow pharmacist???

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you always go back to Ralph’s if things don’t work out? If yes, I would go with the specialty pharmacy. The extra drive time is nothing when you are stuck in retails.

Probably not. I’m a manager so quitting after 6 months probably won’t look good…

I texted the manager there cause I know her and she said it’s a floater position between the two specialty store with “occasional” retail shifts.
Do you have any way of clarifying this? I'd be concerned about jumping back only to end up basically where you left

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any way of clarifying this? I'd be concerned about jumping back only to end up basically where you left

I’ve tried no one can give a clear answer. They said they need me in specialty 3-4 days a week and retail possibly 1-2… but specialty “may need more coverage” or when the staff takes PTO or vacation I’d be there full time. Idk seems iffy but tempted by the good hours.

It is all about quality of life. If you think going to specialty wag will give you and your family a better life, go for it. Make sure first though cuz things are pretty when you float to other store but when you staff there, ugh, honeymoon phase is over.
Quitting after just started to work can be a “bridge burning” decision but def not a black list kinda thing. When they need you, they will hire you back.
My story is I quit wag after 7 years working for them. I moved to Walmart and thing is much better. Then hospital pharmacy calls me and offer me a full time. I thought about it a lot and I chose the hospital for a better; that is after 3 month working at Walmart. I thought “yeah, they will totally black-list me”. Guess what, they kept me as prn. So I would go with the one that make you and your family happy.

I seriously doubt that a chain pharmacy would remain closed on the days someone is off. They would find someone even if it’s located on the Mars..

I seriously doubt that a chain pharmacy would remain closed on the days someone is off. They would find someone even if it’s located on the Mars..
My chain is having stores close every week because they can't find a pharmacist to work. DMs are filling in but when you have 3-4 open shifts on one day there's only so much you can do

My chain is having stores close every week because they can't find a pharmacist to work. DMs are filling in but when you have 3-4 open shifts on one day there's only so much you can do

that’s interesting because I have never heard that before. Even in rural parts where they can’t find coverage, we would receive emails with big headline “all offers will be considered” ie. they would even pay for your drive time and hotels to stay so that store remains open.

that’s interesting because I have never heard that before. Even in rural parts where they can’t find coverage, we would receive emails with big headline “all offers will be considered” ie. they would even pay for your drive time and hotels to stay so that store remains open.
This is not a rural area either. I've had them put me up in a hotel before. Mileage covered, premium pay at 1.5X, still closing stores

That’s poorly managed district/ region. At my chain, they hired several temporary pharmacists during Covid and it has significantly reduced number of extra shifts even for those who want it.

That’s poorly managed district/ region. At my chain, they hired several temporary pharmacists during Covid and it has significantly reduced number of extra shifts even for those who want it.
That is good mgm right there. But it also really depend on the area. Maybe yours place has many rphs?

Lol, our entire district is a disaster right now as are many other Walgreens in the country. Most of our stores are only open 3-4 days a week due to RPh shortage.

They're hiring anyone who applies and has a license. Offered decent referral bonuses too

I think Ralph's sounds more appealing since you can set your own schedule, higher pay and low volume. No drive thru. Floating sounds like BS where you never know where you'll go or when, and they'll bug you on your days off to cover sick calls. Even if it's "part time floating". I like to have a set schedule with no surprises, I often plan social events, doctor's appointments or vacations far ahead of time. That's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.