Illinois c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cypress

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I had already seen a thread on Illinois for this year but I can't find it now so I'm starting up another one.....

I just checked the status of my application and I'm confused by the courses they chose for inclusion in my Science GPA. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light for me.

They only took one of my graduate biology courses into consideration and are using my Dendrology course from 9 years ago as well as another Forestry and Natural Resource class from the same year.

They are using my second semester of Physics but not my first.

My graduate courses are not research related or independent study related - and I double checked before submitting my application that I didn't need to submit information about them. So best I can tell they don't think my most current biology courses are important?

I sent them an email to ask about this but was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I had already seen a thread on Illinois for this year but I can't find it now so I'm starting up another one.....

I just checked the status of my application and I'm confused by the courses they chose for inclusion in my Science GPA. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light for me.

They only took one of my graduate biology courses into consideration and are using my Dendrology course from 9 years ago as well as another Forestry and Natural Resource class from the same year.

They are using my second semester of Physics but not my first.

My graduate courses are not research related or independent study related - and I double checked before submitting my application that I didn't need to submit information about them. So best I can tell they don't think my most current biology courses are important?

I sent them an email to ask about this but was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me.

I only have 3 of my courses counting for science GPA atm. I think they're in the middle of the designations (checking whether the course would be transferable, etc.), so I wouldn't worry too much. I have 1 calc class, 1 gen chem, and another course that are counting (which is not even half of the prereqs). I would give it a couple of weeks and see if they change, and then start to panic ;)

Ok good to hear - thank you so much - I was definitely leaning towards panic mode :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thankfully they sent out that reminder email to check the status of everything. My college for undergrad kicks us alumni off of blackboard/webadvisor so we can only request our transcripts by email, which I don't like because I can't check online to see if it's processed. I accidentally ended up send my request to some random faculty member because it was the email address that automatically popped up. Whoops! It should be processed tomorrow so I don't think it will be an issue but I definitely would have missed that. And my science GPA only has like 3 courses to it as well since they don't have my other transcript to determine if the course is acceptable or not.

I'm really confused about other courses as well. I emailed them about it in a state of panic already, haha... to get this response.

"Special topic courses, thesis research and independent study courses are not used in the science gpa. There is no way for us to know the individual content of such courses. " - Karen Eichelberger

=/ I hope this changes, haha.

Only 2 of the 4 grad classes they didn't use were special topics - and even those that were listed as special topics have the topics listed with them. I emailed before submitting to check they only said research or independent study grad classes had to be registered on the supplemental - hopefully I can get this sorted out.

I don't understand how Developmental Neurobiology wouldn't count on my science GPA but Dendrology would? Weird

I thought I'd add this from the email I received so no one freaks out too much :p

Please note your status page will show your cumulative and science GPAs only
AFTER your transcripts have been evaluated. This process takes several weeks.
Please check your status page periodically for updates. Science course
designations are not accurate until your GPA has been posted.

Yeah that's the response I just got back from Illinois - silly me for not reading the whole email - clearly I'm on edge during this application cycle.

On a more positive note.....

This is my first year applying to Illinois - OOS

How about everyone else?

Not to cause worry, it seems like their designations start out random and stay random-my GPA has already been calculated and a lot of my science classes are not included--for example, they have decided that biochemistry I counts as a science, but biochem II, i'm guessing because it contains the word 'topics' in the course title does not. also, my chemistry lab, which does not have the word topics in the title, doesn't count as science. my GPA works out to be the same either way so I don't think I'll bug them about it, but it's a little odd...

Yeah that's the response I just got back from Illinois - silly me for not reading the whole email - clearly I'm on edge during this application cycle.

On a more positive note.....

This is my first year applying to Illinois - OOS

How about everyone else?

This is my first time applying to Illinois (OOS as well) but I'm a second round applicant. I got wait listed at 4 places last year, so I'm hoping everything works out this year.

did anyone here try for either of the petitions? if so, any word yet? my status page still says "pending."
do any current students have any experience with this (even though i understand that the fact that needing a petition in the first place makes one way less likely to get in anyway...)

did anyone here try for either of the petitions? if so, any word yet? my status page still says "pending."
do any current students have any experience with this (even though i understand that the fact that needing a petition in the first place makes one way less likely to get in anyway...)

Last year I tried for a petition and it got rejected - took a loooong time for them to evaluate it, so don't worry too much about it. However, that being said - I still got in (woooo Illinois!!!!).

So just because you turn in a petition (and even if it gets rejected) does not mean that you won't get in. Hope that helps!

I petitioned for two of my graduate classes to count as science classes. One of mine was denied and the other one is still pending...probably because I'm not done with the class yet... Oh well! It was worth a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I petitioned for two of my graduate classes to count as science classes. One of mine was denied and the other one is still pending...probably because I'm not done with the class yet... Oh well! It was worth a shot.

I was just trying to figure how to petition them to count some classes as science? I am have 4 science classes this semester and they counted them all as non science. How do I go about petitioning them to count these?

I was just trying to figure how to petition them to count some classes as science? I am have 4 science classes this semester and they counted them all as non science. How do I go about petitioning them to count these?

There was a section on the supplemental application for graduate coursework that you wanted included in the science GPA. Are your classes undergrad classes? I'm not sure how you would go about petitioning for those.

There was a section on the supplemental application for graduate coursework that you wanted included in the science GPA. Are your classes undergrad classes? I'm not sure how you would go about petitioning for those.

Yep, these are ungergrad classes that are science courses but didn't get counted as science.

Yep, these are ungergrad classes that are science courses but didn't get counted as science.

I was a little surprised by the courses they chose to count/not count. They didn't take any of my physics, they didn't take one of my organic chemistry courses (thank goodness since I got a C:D), and then none of my science seminars. That was the killer, since the seminars were the saving grace for my science GPA.

I wish I had a suggestion for you; instead, I will commiserate. I'm sorry!

I'm confused by the course choices as well - they took ALL my math classes including the ones from 10 years ago - but aren't including some of my grad biology classes - they took some of my forestry and natural resource classes but didn't count all of my physics....I'm really not sure what they are looking for.....guess we'll find out in January....at this point there really isn't anything we can do

Hopefully if we can get to the interview stage we can prove ourselves with our charming personalities and amazing experiences - based on their website if we can get past Phase I our academic standing doesn't filter into final decisions.....

Someone posted a rejection from Illinois today via snail mail.

I'm not home so can't check mail but my status has not changed online.

Anyone else having any activity today? Status changes? Snail mail?

I didn't get any snailmail/email/status changes today, I have a low GPA and am an OOS applicant =/

Nothing on my end as of today. A letter could be coming my way though...cum GPA is a little bit below that.

Ditto all that. My rejection should be here by the end of the week if that's the cutoff!

Me too....

Let's all take a deep breath, all she said was that was the average! I'm in the exact same boat- lower GPA than that but not by a lot so I'm nervous as well. If that's the average, it'll be ok. Anyone heard of this "cutoff" and what it is? They normally dont send interview invites until after the new year anyways.

But everyone post as much as they know so we can relax slightly and attempt finals studying for us still in undergrad!!

Let's all take a deep breath, all she said was that was the average! I'm in the exact same boat- lower GPA than that but not by a lot so I'm nervous as well. If that's the average, it'll be ok. Anyone heard of this "cutoff" and what it is? They normally dont send interview invites until after the new year anyways.

But everyone post as much as they know so we can relax slightly and attempt finals studying for us still in undergrad!!

Or study for finals as a graduate student :)
I have 5 exams in 6 days next week.....so trying to stay focused too :)

My understanding of Illinois was they send invites mid January. Perhaps the person that posted the rejection had some academics that took them out of the running early so they went ahead and sent out a rejection. I don't believe they have a GPA cut off - but I'm sure internally they have to pick a number and say - ok anyone below this number is either out or has to be stellar in other areas to keep them in the running.

From what I've read - once you pass the initial academic portion of their eval (Phase I) and you get an interview - your academic stats don't come into play for the final review phase. Phase I is just to get you to the interview stage - then everyone who interviews is on the same playing field from that point on in the interview process - or at least that's how I read it.

So I guess if we don't hear anything that's a good sign - I wasn't expecting anything till Jan either.

Fingers crossed the mailbox is not harboring anything unpleasant when I get home.

Hang in there everyone!!

I got my rejection letter in the mail today. I'm OOS. It says the cum GPA is 3.68, the science GPA is 3.61 and the GRE composite score is 67%. I'm a non-traditional student so my bachelor's gpa in public relations was low (3.0) but my science prereqs from the last couple of years is about a 3.75. I guess I should have petitioned to have them not consider my previous undergrad course work but then I would have had to take a boatload of additional classes to apply. Oh well. I have an interview at KSU in a week and a half so I'm not too upset.

I got my rejection letter in the mail today. I'm OOS. It says the cum GPA is 3.68, the science GPA is 3.61 and the GRE composite score is 67%. I'm a non-traditional student so my bachelor's gpa in public relations was low (3.0) but my science prereqs from the last couple of years is about a 3.75. I guess I should have petitioned to have them not consider my previous undergrad course work but then I would have had to take a boatload of additional classes to apply. Oh well. I have an interview at KSU in a week and a half so I'm not too upset.

Im so sorry :( Kudos to keeping such an open mind however and sharing with us! Is that the averages they gave for people still in the running or is that the averages of all OSS applicants? Or the cutoff...

Thank you again for sharing and best of luck at KSU!

Apparently my mailman came twice today and delivered my first rejection right before I took my first final.....so I am out of the running for illinois.

Rejection for me as well...

Now to wait on remaining 6 schools - including my IS

Good luck to those that remain!!!!

Cypress signing off....

So sorry to hear about the rejections, guys :(. At least it's hearing something. Being stuck in limbo right now is pretty sucky.

I got my rejection letter in the mail today. I'm OOS. It says the cum GPA is 3.68, the science GPA is 3.61 and the GRE composite score is 67%.

I got my rejection letter from them today and my letter says the cum GPA avg is 3.62, the sci GPA avg is 3.51 and the GRE avg is 63% It also said there is a minimum requirement of 2.75 for the science GPA. These stats are "for those applicants who made it past the first phase, academic review".

I am OOS. They do have GPA cut-offs and it sounds like the people that have gotten rejection letters from them so far have not made these GPA minimums. Sounds like they have finished the first phase so if you haven't been notified your grades were acceptable :)

Got my rejection letter today! First rejection of the season for me. :rolleyes:

The 3.62 and 63% GRE sound right from my letter. I don't know what kind of crack they were smoking to get the GPA for science they did. I had to make a 3.0 in my major requirements (all science classes) to be accepted into my major, and I did better after that, not worse. How can it be a full .25 lower than what I thought I had?

The 3.62 and 63% GRE sound right from my letter. I don't know what kind of crack they were smoking to get the GPA for science they did. I had to make a 3.0 in my major requirements (all science classes) to be accepted into my major, and I did better after that, not worse. How can it be a full .25 lower than what I thought I had?

Oh no! Sorry to hear you guys received the bad new :( I guess I am still waiting on my thin envelope.

Oh no! Sorry to hear you guys received the bad new :( I guess I am still waiting on my thin envelope.

Same. This is why I hate snail mail. Things get to people at different times, so I'm still going to be super nervous when checking the mail for like the next week.

I don't really get their selection criteria :(. My cumulatie is around 3.59, sc GPA 3.65, and my GRE score are 86% and 87%. I figured my academic combined score would be high enough to at least have the rest of my application reviewed. Now I just feel like it was a waste of money, time, and effort.

I'm crossing my fingers that you get good news bb, someone has to out of this mess. :luck::luck::luck:

Thanks! I was thinking though. Everyone else is OOS, while I am IS. I wonder if they are sending out letters depending on that?

Thanks! I was thinking though. Everyone else is OOS, while I am IS. I wonder if they are sending out letters depending on that?

The OOS spots are really competitive, only 30 of them! I'm sure they give more thought to IS applicants.....

The OOS spots are really competitive, only 30 of them! I'm sure they give more thought to IS applicants.....

Hmm I don't know. The stats listed above sound almost exactly like the stats from the rejection letter I got last year :laugh:

Hmm, no idea. I'm OOS and still haven't heard anything, but I'm anticipating a letter since I pretty much fall right at all those values.

Getting nervous myself :( but trying not to jinx it! I was wondering if anyone that has heard so far has seen their status change? My status still says application review in progress....:confused:

Getting nervous myself :( but trying not to jinx it! I was wondering if anyone that has heard so far has seen their status change? My status still says application review in progress....:confused:

Nope, mine still says that too.

edit: I was remembering when it changed for in-staters...but still doesn't look like we will hear anything until mid-January!

Last edited:
Hello. Does anyone know when we should hear back from UIUC? I'm IS and still waiting to hear something. Nevermind, didn't read end of previous post- clearly... Guess I'll keep waiting. :)

Hello. Does anyone know when we should hear back from UIUC? I'm IS and still waiting to hear something. Nevermind, didn't read end of previous post- clearly... Guess I'll keep waiting. :)

If you look through the thread for last year's interview invites, it looks like people were notified around the middle of January. If you're OOS, start checking your status page around the 16th or 17th!