IM as a FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an IM physician, can you get hired or work as FM? Off course you can't see Peds and OB/GYN as FP, but the majority of FP's see only adults this time.
In terms of lifestyle and flexibility, I think FM is better. The only advantage of IM is you can always work as a Hospitalist without worrying about number of patient you see. Again, for FP, your income is depending on the number of patients you see. If you don't have enough in your patient panel size, it will be a challenge to make a living. Especially if you are working in big cities, you will be competing with other practices.
During my rotation in FM clinics, what I have noticed was some physicians have less than 5 patients/day in most days and I don't know how they make a living. On the contrary, there are job openings that are paying over $200K, but I am not sure this figure is a guaranteed income regardless of number of patient you will see or just a potential that you can make depending on their patient. off course this is not uncommon in any other specialties, but comparing with primary care, other specialties will get paid higher.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As an IM physician, can you get hired or work as FM?

No. You can do primary care. You can even work in the same office as other FPs (not at all uncommon). But, you'll still be an internist doing internal medicine.

The only advantage of IM is you always work as a Hospitalist without worrying about number of patient you have. I think as FP, your income is depending on the number of patients you see.

Your income will depend on your volume/charges no matter what the setting, inpatient or outpatient, primary care or specialty. Plenty of FPs work as hospitalists, by the way.

If you don’t have enough in your patient panel size, it will be a challenge to make a living.

Unless you're a jerk or locate your practice in the wrong place, I can't imagine anyone having difficulty building a practice in this day and age. There are three other primary care practices and an urgent care within a half-mile radius of my office. It doesn't matter. Everyone's busy.

Thank you Blu Dog for the information.
Just for clarification, if you are employee in a Hospital as a Hospitalist, does the volume matter for your pay? In my understanding, you will get a fixed pay +/- production bonus no matter the volume is.
Thank you again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Blu Dog for the information.
Just for clarification, if you are employee in a Hospital as a Hospitalist, does the volume matter for your pay? In my understanding, you will get a fixed pay +/- production bonus no matter the volume is.
Thank you again.

This can be true, but you'd better believe that if you're only rounding on 5 patients per day that when your contract comes up again that your salary will be getting quite a cut.

Whatever your salary, you'd better be generating a lot more than that in revenue. You're not going to be paid for nothing.