IM chair letter for Family Medicine Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjruther

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a fourth year medical student currently applying to ERAS looking for any advice you all would be willing to offer.

My family medicine letter was finally released by ERAS today and I assigned it to all the programs I am applying to... Unfortunately due to my fat thumbs and being on my iphone I accidentally assigned the wrong letter, an IM chair letter that was written for me without requesting it because I had put internal medicine as a career possibility on some survey over a year ago. I'm worried that programs are going to see this letter and think that I'm not as committed to family medicine.

There's no way to put the cat back in the bag at this point so the way I see it there are two options:
1) Email each and every program posthaste telling them exactly what happened and why it was a mistake
2) Just accept that I sent the IM chair letter that will probably just talk positively (albeit generically) about my strong performance on my IM rotation.

I've sent my family medicine letter and my applications are complete, I hope I didn't screw myself too badly.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't email every program as this doesn't seem like a huge mistake and most people won't even think twice about it as long as you have strong FM letter(s)

The email will only draw more attention to it. I'd just make it clear in your interviews that FM is your only choice and only talk about the accidental upload deal if they bring it up.