IM/Derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Balooga

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
did anyone apply to any of the IM/Derm programs. how competitive is it?

Members don't see this ad.

I've started to think about these programs too. What are the goals of these programs and what do you all think about them? Thanks

Hi- I have the same question, but it doesn't look like anyone's biting. Someone has to have info/opinions on this...:)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
wow over 850 views and no replies. Lots of lurkers and no answers.

There are only 3 or 4 programs- Penn, Wisconsin are two. They are as competitive as straight derm. They are not a "back door" into derm, as one might think.

I've started to think about these programs too. What are the goals of these programs and what do you all think about them? Thanks
The goal is to train academic dermatologists who can care for seriously ill derm patients with complicated immune diseases, vasculitis,bullous diseases lymphomas etc....you would need credentials to demonstrate this interest.There are only a few programs.

Probably the same ones to get into a regular derm residency.

AOA, clinical honors, high Step scores, research+publications, etc...

I am currently a resident at a university program that has a Med/Derm program and I'm friends with a few of the Med/Derm residents.

The goals of the Med/Derm program are to train academic dermatologists that are firmly grounded in the principles of internal medicine. The idea, from my understanding, is to ideally manage patients such as those with cutaneous manifestations of lupus, Hepatitis C, IBD, etc.

However, I honestly don't think those trained in Med/Derm are any better than those trained in only Derm. I think it's moreso the differences in the individual clinicians in the end. Obviously there's very intelligent Dermatologists who never double-boarded in Internal Medicine and Dermatology.

Additionally, I really don't think there are hospitals that are looking exclusively for someone who is Med/Derm certified. The graduates I know of the Med/Derm program here all went on to practice exclusively in Derm practices after finishing, and my guess is that 10 years down the line, most of the Internal Medicine they learned in residency will pour out of their brains unless they have some level of continuous exposure to it.

Anyways, Med/Derm definitely isn't a "backdoor" into Dermatology. The residents are from prominent medical schools, AOA, I'm sure they had stellar board scores, etc.