I'm graduating college in 3 years. Can I get into med school without having to take a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you apply and get in, congratulations. If you apply and fail to get in, you’re either a reapplicant or onto Plan B. According to AAMC in October 2015, 52,550 applied in most recent cycle, 20,630 started meaning 60.75% failed to start. Although possible to get in after 3 years, it’s best to put forth the strongest, most competitive app in ALL respects (eg GPAs, MCATs, ECs, etc) you can and get accepted first time around. What’s the rush?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes lol; got in a couple weeks ago
Holy **** you applied to 46 places?
How much did that cost? Also how early did you apply and was it worth applying to all those places?

If you have a 90 Percentile+ MCAT and 3.8+, most schools will not care. If you are around average, think about a gap year.

Last edited:
A gap year is my plan b, but my plan a is to go straight into med school after graduation.

I graduated in 3 years, and will be taking 2 gap years. IT's definitely not impossible to get into schools without taking the gap years. SDN denies it, but a lot of low-tier schools don't really expect amazing ECs, so as long as you've gotten all your boxes checked, and have above-average scores for that school, you should be fine. I figured that I might as well take a few gap years, since I'm not in any rush, and it'll probably make me a better med student and eventually doctor. Personally, I'm not super happy with my gap year so far, but if all else fails, I know that great schools are now open to me because of my extra years of involvement.

EDIT: WHY was this thread bumped??