I'm quitting.. do I really need to finish the 90 day notice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G.A.S Team

Reaction score
Signing onto a new job. They want me to start ASAP. My current contract requires a 90 day notice. I'm already credentialed and ready to go at new spot for much more $$$.

Do I really need to finish the 90 day notice? What are the legal ramifications?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Signing onto a new job. They want me to start ASAP. My current contract requires a 90 day notice. I'm already credentialed and ready to go at new spot for much more $$$.

So many days left do u have of the 90 day notice? Notwithstanding the breach of contract which your employer can technically sue you for, anesthesia is not a huge field and burning bridges like this will not be good for your long term career.

Reactions: 18 users
I would finish the 90 day. Always best practice to leave on good terms. They likely will keep your last couple paychecks. Check your contract.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No true legal ramifications per se. They won’t take you to court to make you work another 3 months. But they can withhold your final paycheck or trailing collections depending on how you’re paid. Your employment contract will have more information.

Reactions: 1 user
I would finish the 90 day. Always best practice to leave on good terms. They likely will keep your last couple paychecks. Check your contract.

All true. They could also renege on promised tail coverage. But the doc could very simply threaten to not complete Med records and associated bills/charges, Call in sick, be difficult while at work, etc., etc.

They also don’t want somebody there who doesn’t want to be there. Everything is negotiable.

Be honorable and finish out your contract. I am sure you wouldn't like it if they just fired you without notice...

Communicate with your current group and find out if there is a compromise where you can leave earlier without compromising their coverage.

It's a small anesthesia world, believe me, word will get around and it most likely will cost you in ways you may never realize

Reactions: 10 users
So many days left do u have of the 90 day notice? Notwithstanding the breach of contract which your employer can technically sue you for, anesthesia is not a huge field and burning bridges like this will not be good for your long term career.

This. They could sue you for damages (lost productivity, cost of locums, punitives for breach of contract). Will they? Probably not but they could. How likely they are to win will depend on state contract law, consult your attorney. How likely they are to sue depends on the group. Most smaller groups will not since recovery compared to legal fees will be minimal, but some of the bigger players may care more about setting the precedent that they enforce the contract then the money, similar to non competes.

Better course of action. Sit down with your current group and tell them you are leaving and would like to work out a way to leave sooner. Maybe they won’t care or let you out of your contract. Maybe you negotiate a solution where you stay for X number of days, or cover some extra calls in the meantime, or buy out that provision of the contract for Y$ which is less then the extra money you would have made at the new job.

Reactions: 3 users
Ask to be let go early. If not finish the 90 days. It goes by fast.

Reactions: 8 users
Mine is 180 days. My lawyer told me it’s not unheard of around here.

My last one was 90 days. It does go by fast, and they know you’re on your way out….. either they can **** with you and give you **** cases or they can be nice and know you don’t care and give you **** cases.

Reactions: 1 users
How far away is the new job? Maybe you could help them out on weekends. Maybe the old group will let you out early by taking extra weekend or extra call. Don't leave early and burn any bridges.

I would be wary of hiring someone that did not finish out their contractual obligations at previous job. I mean at that point I just assume you would screw us over too if you got the chance. It's a small world and burning bridges usually not a good idea.

Reactions: 15 users
Really depends how much the old practice needs you. Usually a fair way to leave before 90 days. Unless the group is totally screwing u with uncompensated calls or extra work.

Usually it takes at least a month or 2 to get through credentialing…unless it’s emergency privileges. Did you not take the required notice into account when you gave notice?

Members don't see this ad :)

can you find any way that they breached the contract? if you can,, walk immediately and find a lawyer o/w i would stick around til 90 days is up not because you give a rats ass about burning bridges because you want to be a man of your word

Unless the old job is truly awful I’d probably try to find a common ground with the old employer. Legally though I’m sure you can find a way out if you really want….

As has been said I wouldn’t burn bridges. You never know what will happen in the future or who you will work with again. We’ve got two on our blacklist, and now that we’re part of a larger health organization that’s a lot of groups they likely won’t “eligible” for.

As has been said I wouldn’t burn bridges. You never know what will happen in the future or who you will work with again. We’ve got two on our blacklist, and now that we’re part of a larger health organization that’s a lot of groups they likely won’t “eligible” for.
How’d they get blacklisted?

I mean not only that but if you are ever applying for a new job they are probably going to make some calls to your old jobs

How’d they get blacklisted?
We blacklist for similar reasons. People who flake on their commitments...poor performance or disruptive attitudes.

One gave us too little notice before leaving (among other issues) and one signed a contract and ghosted us 3 weeks before starting 😳. Already on the call/vacation schedule and everything.

• Wow
Check to see if your state has patient abandonment laws. I believe some states have laws that say physicians cannot suddenly leave their patient obligations without 30 day notice or something like that.

That said, I have a friend who got so fed up with his employer (rad onc) that he packed his stuff over a weekend without warning. didn't show up on Monday, and ceased all communication with the hospital. Said it felt glorious but didn't necessarily recommend it.

Check to see if your state has patient abandonment laws. I believe some states have laws that say physicians cannot suddenly leave their patient obligations without 30 day notice or something like that.

That said, I have a friend who got so fed up with his employer (rad onc) that he packed his stuff over a weekend without warning. didn't show up on Monday, and ceased all communication with the hospital. Said it felt glorious but didn't necessarily recommend it.

Why not? If it was glorious….

Why not? If it was glorious….

Obviously you burn every bridge in the region by doing that and open yourself up to being pursued legally for breach of contract (which didn't happen in that case as there were contract disputes on both sides and it sounds like pursuing contract breach disputes in court often isn't worth it).

Obviously you burn every bridge in the region by doing that and open yourself up to being pursued legally for breach of contract (which didn't happen in that case as there were contract disputes on both sides and it sounds like pursuing contract breach disputes in court often isn't worth it).

Thanks.

It probably isn’t, especially with the money you have to shell out to the lawyers at $400/hr.

Eh…the fear of burning bridges is overrated. If your current group screwed you or lied to you in any way then I say burn baby burn. If you had an otherwise amicable relationship with the group then honor your contract because 90 days is really not a terrible burden to bear.

Some groups don’t think much of competing groups. So if you agree with group A that group B is a bunch of jerks, group A will probably have no problem with you.

I hear what everyone is saying but I also think many groups should just learn how to sit and talk with their employees and figure out a common ground. I certainly wouldn't want someone unhappy moping around for 3 months. Negotiate some sort or release and figure out a way to pick up the slack until you can find a replacement. I think the door swings both ways. Just as much as a group can bad mouth a employee (which they can still do even if you fulfill the 90 days) the employee can make up all sorts of stories about "holding them hostage".

That's just my 2c

You signed the contract. Honor it. You won't second-guess it later in life and you will sleep better.

By all means, approach them and see if you could negotiate a reasonable compromise.

Mine is 180 days. My lawyer told me it’s not unheard of around here.

My last one was 90 days. It does go by fast, and they know you’re on your way out….. either they can **** with you and give you **** cases or they can be nice and know you don’t care and give you **** cases.
6 months seems a bit long for any position….no disrespect

Usually it takes at least a month or 2 to get through credentialing…unless it’s emergency privileges. Did you not take the required notice into account when you gave notice?
This was my question as well. It's not like they didn't see this job opportunity/decision coming. I guess if they were already doing some occasional locums for them or something that would explain the reason for already being credentialed, but if this is all fresh and new credentialing etc. Then OP made this bed and needs to lay in it. Give 90 days and work them if your employer can't/won't compromise on the duration. Should have given the 90 days months ago when they started the credentialing process.

I have heard USAP has a "do not hire" list that you could end up on... think of it from the other perspective too. if you leave suddenly, the remaining group does not have much time to fill the hole. everyone else remaining will work harder and not be happy.

I have heard USAP has a "do not hire" list that you could end up on... think of it from the other perspective too. if you leave suddenly, the remaining group does not have much time to fill the hole. everyone else remaining will work harder and not be happy.

Or they may be happy to work more and make more $$.

I hear what everyone is saying but I also think many groups should just learn how to sit and talk with their employees and figure out a common ground.
You think these corporations are charismatic. They could not care less, if you mope or dont mope. The only thing they understand is dollars and cents. Common ground, LOL. Thats hysterical. They are owned by some faceless private equity, sometimes not even in this country. Bad mouth all you want, we do not care.

What does your contract say….read what it says and then regardless of what it says finish the 90 days and don’t be a dick. 😀

They always want you to start asap. Recommend fulfilling your contractual obligations.

You think these corporations are charismatic. They could not care less, if you mope or dont mope.

the people that care are your colleagues that get extra called dumped on them when you leave and they are the ones that will badmouth you to future prospective employers

the people that care are your colleagues that get extra called dumped on them when you leave and they are the ones that will badmouth you to future prospective employers
You have to do what is good for #1. You are not screwing your colleagues because your contract is not with them it is with your employer.

• Haha
You have to do what is good for #1. You are not screwing your colleagues because your contract is not with them it is with your employer.

I am just pointing out you might be harming your future self if you ever apply for another job, because they will call and talk to those former colleagues and ask about you.

For example, if we were contemplating offering a job to someone that we liked and a former group told us how they left on short/no notice we would literally not offer them a job. I mean that is a dealbreaker (at least to me).

Reactions: 3 users
You are absolutely screwing your colleagues. Your colleagues depend on you just as much as you depend on them. Whomever is cutting the checks is a separate issue.

That's precisely why groups look to hire people who are "team players". If something was done to him unfairly or the group didn't live up to it's agreement, then his colleagues would be sympathetic or at least understanding. If he is leaving simply because he found a better paying gig and is bailing on them early, then you better believe they will bad mouth him at any future group they go to as well.

Reactions: 6 users
"Team Players"
We are looking for "team Players". so we can bend them over on a reg basis and they just take it for the "Team".

"Team Players"
We are looking for "team Players". so we can bend them over on a reg basis and they just take it for the "Team".

if you don't want to make the money on the team, don't apply for a job on the team. I am in a very lucrative practice and we don't want to hire anyone that is looking out for themself ahead of the group. Sink or swim, we are all in it together.

Yeah. If there’s no room to negotiate or you don’t get a blessing from your current group you gotta do the 90. Even better, find your replacement and maybe they’ll let you out of the 90

The new group has a bird in the hand, they just have to wait 90 days. If they say they want you to start now and violate your current contract, well, they will be your new partners and you may want to watch your back. Every group looking to hire currently has two birds in the bush.

if you don't want to make the money on the team, don't apply for a job on the team. I am in a very lucrative practice and we don't want to hire anyone that is looking out for themself ahead of the group. Sink or swim, we are all in it together.
It's good for the team that you have more call, make less money otherwise youre not a "team player". We are looking for team players.

Forget 90 days, I once gave no notice at all. I was in a case and my future job emailed me an offer. I called someone in for a bathroom break, and never looked back. They stopped calling an hour later. To my credit, it was a stable patient in a stable case.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Forget 90 days, I once gave no notice at all. I was in a case and my future job emailed me an offer. I called someone in for a bathroom break, and never looked back. They stopped calling an hour later. To my credit, it was a stable patient in a stable case.
You get absolutely no credit for this garbage and frankly unethical behavior.

Maybe. OP has not told us if he is working as part of a PP group or as an AMC employee. In any event it seems unwise to potentially burn bridges over 3 months. The job market may not always be as good as it is now…..