I'm stuck. Genetics question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustCats

UC Davis SVM c/o 2013!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've stumbled and need some help now. The online class I am in does not have a lab component but some of the homework questions I'm coming across now are asking me to "design an experiment to test this hypothesis and explain it in as much detail as possible. . .". Are there some general rules I can apply to help me design experiments? Do you know of good source material? Is there some reference out there to help with this? I just don't even know where to start.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of genetics, it all depends on what you are trying to figure out. A lot of experiments in genetics involve the use of model organisms...perhaps fruit flies, mice, E coli, yeast, etc...

When designing an experiment, since it is not actually in the lab, you can use optimal conditions. Assume that only what you want is isolated in order to properly test whatever cross you are doing.

It pretty much comes down to making sure you know what you're talking about. The opportunities for "theoretical" experimentation are endless - just have fun with it.

Hopefully this helps...and makes some sense to you...

Good luck!

what are the questions? I think maybe breeding experiments? I know when I took genetics we had pretty bizarre questions that required hypothetical breeding and offspring phenotypes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Deinococcus radiodurans is a bacterium that was isolated from cooling ponds in and around nuclear power plants. It is highly resistant to ionizing radiation. Propose an hypothesis to explain the high level of radiation resistance and an experiment to test your hypothesis.

Is this pretty standard stuff in a Genetics lecture course?

Google is your friend...

Basically, come up with an idea of the gene (simple gel electrophoresis to determine difference between resistant strains and susceptible strains. (and how it works)), design a gene knock out experiment (don't copy the pub I listed, as their techniques are dated). You can be lazy and knock out the gene with insertions of group II introns.

Don't forget... siRNA will not work! Prokaryotes express RNase III

EDIT: If you wanna wow them, tag the protein as suggested, then insert it into the susceptible strain, and test for resistance, thereby proving the gene, gene sequence, locus, and protein. This is theoretical... so its SUPER easy (doesn't have to be realistic or cost effective). "We designed monoclonal ab to the protein and did affinity chromatography, tested purity w/SDS Page..."

EDIT #2: ok, last one then bed. You could link RecA gene into humans (RAD51) and close the question with my favorite one liner of all times "... and this research may someday lead to a cure for cancer"

Finally, don't forget to include an indicator (GFP perhaps?) My work is on Eukaryotes, not pro, so im not too up to date on whats new and hot with them.

The IrrE Protein of Deinococcus radiodurans R1 Is a Novel Regulator of recA Expression

BTW, pretty standard stuff for a Molecular class... which is how many schools are teaching genetics these days

"IRS24 is a DNA damage-sensitive strain of Deinococcus radiodurans strain 302 carrying a mutation in an uncharacterized locus designated irrE. Five overlapping cosmids capable of restoring ionizing radiation resistance to IRS24 were isolated from a genomic library. The ends of each cloned insert were sequenced, and these sequences were used to localize irrE to a 970-bp region on chromosome I of D. radiodurans R1. The irrE gene corresponds to coding sequence DR0167 in the R1 genome. The irrE gene encodes a 35,000-Da protein that has no similarity to any previously characterized peptide. The irrE locus of R1 was also inactivated by transposon mutagenesis, and this strain was sensitive to ionizing radiation, UV light, and mitomycin C. Preliminary findings indicate that IrrE is a novel regulatory protein that stimulates transcription of the recA gene following exposure to ionizing radiation."

Last edited:
Thank you, No Imagination! I appreciate the time you took to write this response. I love Google but I wasn't really sure WHAT to google--I don't think that's ever happened before. Maybe I will check out a Molecular Bio text to supplement the genetics text. And some of what you've written about I remember from my micro class so I'll take a look at that text as well.