I'm using IB credits for intro to bio -- am I screwed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedOutClassesAhh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I used my IB credits for intro to bio and checked the medical schools in my state, surrounding states, and a few others, and all of them accept IB credit to varying degrees (some flat out accept them, some require upper level classes). I accepted the IB credits because of this, and if I were to take intro to bio now, I wouldn't receive credit for it. I recently found out that what I did was bad from this website and from another one. Am I screwed freshman year, on the MCAT, and when I want to take upper level classes? I'll be taking the bio lab first semester btw.

A common complaint is that many felt they didn't learn anything, but I definitely did. I feel confident in my bio knowledge and I read parts of two college-level bio text books in preparation for the IB exam.

Members don't see this ad.

I used my IB credits for intro to bio and checked the medical schools in my state, surrounding states, and a few others, and all of them accept IB credit to varying degrees (some flat out accept them, some require upper level classes). I accepted the IB credits because of this, and if I were to take intro to bio now, I wouldn't receive credit for it. I recently found out that what I did was bad from this website and from another one. Am I screwed freshman year, on the MCAT, and when I want to take upper level classes? I'll be taking the bio lab first semester btw.

A common complaint is that many felt they didn't learn anything, but I definitely did. I feel confident in my bio knowledge and I read parts of two college-level bio text books in preparation for the IB exam.

You should be fine for the MCAT and upper level bio classes. The main thing you missed out on was getting good grades more easily on classes where you have already seen most of the material before

Reactions: 1 user
lol you'll be fine; I got a lousy 3 on AP bio and got straight A's in cell bio, physio and mobio at a top 25

Members don't see this ad :)
lol you'll be fine; I got a lousy 3 on AP bio and got straight A's in cell bio, physio and mobio at a top 25

I had a 5 on AP bio, averaged around a B on upper-level bio classes at my SUNY school. I still think if you can get what is essentially a retake for an easier A you should take it.

I had AP credit for Biology but ended up deciding to take the actual courses at my university and just not receive credit hours for them (my uni's policy on "retaking" classes), but still receive a grade in the course and have it on my transcript. Didn't want to limit my choices for which schools I could apply to, since my GPA is borderline.

You're not screwed in upper level bio classes or the MCAT at all.

Thanks to all who answered! I know I missed out on a great opportunity, but like I said the medical schools I'd like to apply to all accept AP/IB credits in place of the actual course.