image analysis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdr2010

Sleepy intern
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you guys have any suggestions for good image analysis software for Western/Northern blots? I downloaded the free one from the NIH (ImageJ), but I'd be interested to hear what type of software others have used.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

drdr2010 said:
do you guys have any suggestions for good image analysis software for Western/Northern blots? I downloaded the free one from the NIH (ImageJ), but I'd be interested to hear what type of software others have used.
Thanks!

Are you using a densitometer to scan in your films or a regular scanner? I used NIH Image before, but my films were too saturated so I had approach it differently (I was trying to quantitate siRNA knockdown by Western). The films were not very linear at the high and low ranges for me. I have used the Molecular Dynamics Storm Phosphoimager system with good success in terms of sensitivity, linearity and ease of use (the ImageQuant software is relatively easy to use too). Maybe you can try hunting around for a lab or core facility with access; you can borrow their phosphor screens as well (if using radioactive compounds). Good luck.

I agree, ImageQuant works great but it is pricy. Amersham sells a single user license for about $2,000, so hopefully a lab near you already has the software. I'm more fond of the older versions (ours is from the late 90's) probably because thats what I'm used to, but there is a spiffy new version you can download and use free for 14-days:

http://www5.amershambiosciences.com/aptrix/upp01077.nsf/Content/iqtl_download

Members don't see this ad :)
$2000?? my PI will have a stroke if he sees that....

Thanks for the link, I'm going to use the free trial before trying to track down someone who has it. I also downloaded (free) Scion Image program, which has been a bit more user friendly than the stupid ImageJ.

I had been using a regular scanner, but there is a densitometer in the facility where I work...

I use Bio-Rad's Flour S Max imaging system for taking pictures. We use Quanitity One (something like that for analysis which came with the imaging system). This program works great.