IMG Applicants 2014-2105

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanfanal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As someone who will likely be applying for next year's match, I wanted to connect with current IMGs applying for psych residency.

How are things going?
Where have you guys applied?
What kind of response have you gotten in terms of interview replies and what have you found the interviews to be like?

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously, nobody?
That worries me slightly.

I'm an IMG who have applied this year to psych, in response to your questions since they seem a little broad,
A1- everything is going beyond expectations (in a good way)
A2- out of the fear of unmatching I applied to all programs a heck of buck to pay.
A3- All my interviews were the same with some exception, for example I have interviewed at a program where psychologist play a major role in interviewing and ask some nebulous questions but in general nothing unique to IMG's in terms of the whole interview process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a US-IMG who also applied this year to psych.

I've gotten ten interviews, which is so much more than I expected. But the more I got, the more I wanted...
I applied everywhere as well because not matching this year would be very bad for my mental health.
Most of my interviews were the same: casual and friendly--which makes it harder to gauge how I did.

My interviews with South Asian attendings or program directors were very abrasive. Some weird things I've been asked: two interviewers asked me about my parents and childhood experiences. Two interviewers asked me if I was a lone wolf. One interviewer wanted to talk to me about existentialism and Albert Camus for fifteen minutes. One program director spent the length of his interview giving me career advice. One smoking hot thirty-five year old program director didn't make eye contact with me and just watched her iphone for the length of the interview. She did that for all nine candidates that day. At one place, when I went to use the bathroom after lunch, they directed me into an office where they began an interview before I made it out (I took two only two minutes!). Several faculty told me straight up: you're the type of candidate we want at our program, but I assume they're just trying to sell the program to me.

Reactions: 1 user
,, At one place, when I went to use the bathroom after lunch, they directed me into an office where they began an interview before I made it out (I took two only two minutes!). Several faculty told me straight up: you're the type of candidate we want at our program, but I assume they're just trying to sell the program to me.

Sounds like there's a story there...

@wannabie. I had the same experience. Two minutes post lunch interview. Is that the Philly program? My loo break was longer than my interview :(

Thanks for your replies guys.

I was just looking to see what the IMG experience is like in psych. Would you say that you're average applicants or do you have anything special on your application? Also. have you noticed that you got interviews from specific areas of the country being IMGs?

...they directed me into an office where they began an interview before I made it out (I took two only two minutes!). Several faculty told me straight up: you're the type of candidate we want at our program, but I assume they're just trying to sell the program to me.

Did they position the interview room right next to the bathroom and drag you out of the stall, or conduct the interview in the bathroom? Did you have a chance to finish business and pull up your pants?

It sounds like there is a program in Philly that takes looking over their candidates VERY VERY seriously. :smack:

@wannabie. I had the same experience. Two minutes post lunch interview. Is that the Philly program? My loo break was longer than my interview :(

It was a community program in Minnesota.

Did they position the interview room right next to the bathroom and drag you out of the stall, or conduct the interview in the bathroom? Did you have a chance to finish business and pull up your pants?

Yes yes, I charmed the pants off my interviewer in the bathroom................Or at least that would be the interesting version of the story.

Sounds like there's a story there...

I should have avoided stream of consciousness in my previous post because being in the bathroom for the start of someone else's interview and faculty telling me they liked me were separate events. Confusing, indeed. Would that I had a tripod to charm people's pants off!

The truth was much more bland. I went to the bathroom and a different interview began in that room while my pants were down. I finished up as fast as I could and opened the door to the faculty member and the applicant. Everyone involved found it hilarious...though obviously the above scenario would have been more interesting. The program coordinator and I still laughed about it at the end of the day. She joked that she didn't want to see this on "usenet", but I don't know what that is.

She joked that she didn't want to see this on "usenet", but I don't know what that is.
Let me gopher that for you....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
It's more sublime if I know nothing about it. My imagination can go wild as to how it worked back in the 80's. But sure enough, it's still really impressive!

Sometimes blows my mind how far it has come in 20 years...remember announcing my daughter's birth on misc.kids back in 1995, hanging out on rec.arts.startrek.*, advising med school applicants on misc.education.medical...

Pretty much the same as I do now, but with better graphics these days. :)

ANYBODY WITH A

Last edited: