IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedShot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Starting this one up. This year is unique given the current pandemic, lots of uncertainty, so lets be nice and try to support eachother through all this.

As usual, for the purpose of posting stats and interview offers, this thread is limited to IMGs applying to Internal Medicine this year but general questions and advice are fine.

Good luck to everyone, let's keep the good vibes from last year going.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Stats:
Non-US IMG. YoG 2020
Step 1: 225
Step 2 CK: 242
Step 2 CS: Pass
All first attempt
Step 3: September hopefully.
USCE: 2 Months with 2 US LORs, 2 Non US.
No pubs but some research experience (really trying to change this).

What does it mean when a program is not participating in ERAS? Aren't they taking any residents next year? Do we have to contact the programs directly?

Members don't see this ad :)
What does it mean when a program is not participating in ERAS? Aren't they taking any residents next year? Do we have to contact the programs directly?
Does it say "incomplete registration" or "not participating"?

Does it say "incomplete registration" or "not participating"?

It says "not participating." So I don't know if it means the programs are accepting applications outside ERAS OR they aren't taking any residents this year

It says "not participating." So I don't know if it means the programs are accepting applications outside ERAS OR they aren't taking any residents this year
Best way to figure this out would be to contact the program like you said bud.

Stats:
Non-US IMG. YoG 2020
All first attempt
Hello,
I have the same stat except for YoG. May I ask how many programs you are going to apply to? And if you have any backup plans, such as FM applications.
Thanks

Hello,
I have the same stat except for YoG. May I ask how many programs you are going to apply to? And if you have any backup plans, such as FM applications.
Thanks
I will likely apply to about 170. I dont have any back up plans right now. IM only. Good luck.

Guys! Good luck to everyone participating in the match during this difficult year!

Hey, All.

My wife is a non-US IMG (or will be). She won't be be applying for the Match til next cycle, but we've been looking at what to expect. We found some things that were expected, like more interviews makes it more likely to match and Step 1 is very important. Some things were surprises, such as research and pubs have a much smaller effect than we expected. I'll spread this out over several posts. Most of the data come from Charting the Outcome, but it's presented in a different manner. We all know it's not easy for IMGs, and I'm not trying to be a downer. Just hoping that what we've found might make this all seem less random.

First up is obvious: US MDs (97%) and DOs (93%) match at much higher rate than IMGs (60%) and US-IMGs (57%).

8M58Dlk.png

For our calculations, my wife and I considered 90%-95% chance of matching as being pretty safe. So it looks like US MDs and DOs are safe as long as they don't have any major red flags and aren't jerks at the interview. IMGs have to do more. So what does it take to be safe?

I think that most know that more interviews makes you more likely to match. The data bear this out if we accept the number of programs ranked as a proxy for number of interviews. This is a reasonable proxy as there is not much use in ranking a program you didn't interview at, and you should rank every program you interview at unless it's so bad you'd rather not match. Here are the charts.

lSY1F7h.png

wpMyTHw.png

bIKop2w.png

As we can see, AMGs are safe (90-95% chance of matching) once they have 6 programs to rank. IMGs (US and non) need to get up to about 9 or 10 programs. That doesn't sound too much harder, but if you look at how many AMGs vs IMGs are getting high numbers of ranks it's less encouraging.

vs5Bahj.png

Most AMGs have plenty of programs to rank; very few a stuck with less than 5. (Remember, they need about 6 to feel safe.) For IMGs, most only get 3 or fewer. A fewer superstars are getting 16+, but most are short of the 9-10 needed to feel safe. Of course, 3 ranks isn't the end of the world. It doesn't mean you won't match. But it is risky.

Upcoming posts will look at factors that go into matching like Step and pubs.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, so Im an non-US IMG and I've done some hands-on clerkship in the US for the clinical experience. How do I put it in my ERAS? Should it be under "Work Experience" or "Volunteer Experience" (since it was unpaid).

Hi, so Im an non-US IMG and I've done some hands-on clerkship in the US for the clinical experience. How do I put it in my ERAS? Should it be under "Work Experience" or "Volunteer Experience" (since it was unpaid).
Were you paid for the work? Did you receive credit for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I am almost done with the documents and program selection in "MyEras" except waiting for one LOR. I have two questions though: 1. If I add a publication to MyEras after programs application, can the programs see them? 2. What is the recommendation for applying to programs timewise? I am asking because I noticed that the programs can see the applications a little later this year compared to the last year. Thank you

Work experience

1. If I add a publication to MyEras after programs application, can the programs see them?

It will be visible if they look for it. If they've already screen the application, they might not notice the change.

2. What is the recommendation for applying to programs timewise? I am asking because I noticed that the programs can see the applications a little later this year compared to the last year.
I think the recommendation is always 'as early as possible'. Why wait?

So more here some more looks at the match data in internal medicine. This time we look at effect of research and publications. I found the results somewhat surprising since I'd heard that research was a way to stand out from other candidates. The data may not support this, at least with respect to the number of research projects and publications. Unfortunately, the NRMP does not provide data concerning the quality or impact of research, Even so, I am becoming convinced that we may vastly overestimate the impact of research on IMGs matching in IM,

Keep in mine that US MDs (97%) and DOs (93%) matched at much higher rate than IMGs (60%) and US-IMGs (57%) in IM.

As before, I'll start with US MDs and us them for comparison,

qJW4l9K.png

American graduates have a better than 93% chance of matching without any research. This ticks up to 95% with a single project. After that, it hovers around 97-98% regardless of the number of additional projects.

For IMGs (non-US), research has a some effect, but not to the extent I expected.

3SDKL4Y.png

The match rate is around 57% for no research, and it climbs up (although not directly) to around 67% for 4 projects. There is a slight drop in the match rate for 5+ projects. I'm not sure if this is noise or if there is something there. (I have some suspicions, but I'll wait till after the US-IMG data.)

Speaking of US-IMG, this was the most surprising.

8uw2q8F.png

US-IMGs sit at 60+% for a couple of projects and then drop of to 45% for 5+ projects. What is happening here? And is it a stronger instance of the drop in IMG match rates for 5+ projects?

Here are my suspicions. Please weight in with your thoughts.

1. Why does research not have a a larger impact for IMGs and US-IMGs?
I suspect (These seem reasonable to me, but I lack data.) that the majority of the internal medicine programs that consider IMGs are not generating much research. The faculty of all accredited residency programs are required to publish to maintain accreditation, but it is not a huge quota. There is also not a requirement that it be ground-breaking research. At academic programs, the faculty are motivated to publish as part of their career and compensation. For community programs, research may be seen more as an additional administrative requirement that is not well motivated or compensated. Having research-intensive residents may not be a benefit to these programs.

2. Why is there an apparent downward trend for a larger number of research projects?
I don't know. This surprised me. Some guesses. (Please suggest your own.)
  • More research projects may be tied to a longer time since graduation. Residency programs look down on older Year of Graduations. Many applicants spend time after graduation doing research. It could be that having more research projects is a problem. It may be real problem is an old YOG and there is a correlation with a larger number of projects,
  • Community programs may be concerned that research-intensive applicants might not be happy at a low-research program.
Is there any way to remediate this? If YOG is the problem, I don't think so. Older YOGs are a know challenge, especially if you have no way of maintaining US clinical experience. If the problem is projected happiness, I think this can be addressed in the personal statement and (maybe) letters of interest.

Now that we've looked at the number of projects, can we say anything about the effect of the quality of research? NRMP does not provide direct data for this. However, maybe we can infer some. If we take publications as a proxy for good (or at least productive) research, Here, we can say a little.

7rTJxDC.png

9cG74cw.png

For the US-IMGs, the data (or at least my analysis) has enough noise that I don't think I can say anything. But for non-US IMGs, there may be a slight upward trend for a larger number of publications. Productive researchers may benefit from being attractive to more academic programs. It may also be that the more productive researchers have more contacts with American programs, better LOR, etc.

I Also put it in work experience. Adding electives there is fine for IMGs i think.

1. If I add a publication to MyEras after programs application, can the programs see them?
I think once you’ve certified and submitted your application, you can’t make any more chances, except changes to your address.

Visa status: Non-US IMG
YoG: 2019
Step 1: 252
Step 2 CK: 267
Step 2 CS: Applying through the pathways so I won't have my ecfmg cert by Oct 21st
All first attempt
USCE: 3 Months , 1 US LoR and 2 non US LoR's. Awaiting a 2nd US LoR.
Research: 1 publication in a major IM sub specialty journal, 1 poster presentation at an international conference
Applying to every IM program under the sun

Major red flags are those visa requirements and not having my ecfmg certificate (or was it verification?) by Oct 21st as my OET results won't be back by then. Would have liked more USCE as well. Bummer. Oh well.

But good luck to you all and hope everyone is able to match!

PS: Can the mods pin this to the IM sub forum as the previous one was pinned too for better visibility?

Reactions: 1 user
Your scores are amazing. This whole year is going to be super uncertain. Im thinking Programs would be more open this year because of that. Good luck bud.

non us img
green card
yog: 2014
step1 : taking soon
step2 : 243
usce: 2 years externship and 3 LORs
cs: passed first attempt
should I apply only to IM or any back up speciality?

non us img
green card
How can you be a non US IMG and you have a green card?

non us img
green card
I will agree with Rokshana! Having applied myself without ck, I can tell you that a complete application is essential for IMGs trying to match. I was aware that I will probably not match and had already a plan B, so finally I was affected only financially. The year I applied without my ck I got only 2 interviews (and I received those only after releasing my ck score). The second time I got >10 interviews without achieving a game-changing score in CK.

Maybe you are in a slightly better position because of your GC but again it will be tough and you have to be prepared..
Good luck with whatever you decide!

I think once you’ve certified and submitted your application, you can’t make any more chances, except changes to your address.
Thanks. Yes, I submitted and dont have access anymore. Do you have any ideas when we would get interviews? I think this year is a little later compared to the last year. I want to know when to get worried!

Currently a MS4 US IMG graduating this November. I am originally from TX, am 24 years old, have a 226/239 on step 1 and 2 CK both on first attempts. Have good LOR's from rotations in the states and a few publications as a co author in terms of research. I have 1 failed attempt on step 2 CS, am planning on applying this year on the match, and going to take the OET/pathway 4. What do my chances/profile look like?

I will agree with Rokshana! Having applied myself without ck, I can tell you that a complete application is essential for IMGs trying to match. I was aware that I will probably not match and had already a plan B, so finally I was affected only financially. The year I applied without my ck I got only 2 interviews (and I received those only after releasing my ck score). The second time I got >10 interviews without achieving a game-changing score in CK.

Maybe you are in a slightly better position because of your GC but again it will be tough and you have to be prepared..
Good luck with whatever you decide!
hey thanks for your advise will apply only after I get my score back !!

Thanks. Yes, I submitted and dont have access anymore. Do you have any ideas when we would get interviews? I think this year is a little later compared to the last year. I want to know when to get worried!
Oh, I don’t know when interview invites will start going out.

Non-US IMG
YOG: 2021
Step 1 : 259
Step 2 : 265
USCE: none (rip)
CS: Passed first attempt

let's see what the **** happens.

Last edited:
Hello lovely people. Apologies in advance if this is completely the wrong place to post this, but I was looking for some advice. Please feel free to point me in a different direction if these questions would be better suited elsewhere.

I am currently working as a Junior Doctor in the UK. I graduated in July 2019, and being a professional procrastinator, was very middle of the road during medical school. However I did not have any issues coasting through, and managed to get an oral presentation at an international conference, and a poster presentation along the way. I only really considered the possibility of moving to the US in the last couple of months of medical school, pretty much right in the middle of finals. I started to get a little more serious after graduation, but Alas, I was then forced into taking up a job as a professional Covidologist. Due to a combination of my lack of long term planning and the circumstances I mentioned, I have only just started building my application.

I am currently in the midst of revising for the STEP 1, which is proving extremely difficult (but manageable), alongside working full time as a Doctor. I appreciate this is going to be a long, difficult, lonely and expensive road for me, and am under no illusions that this will be easy. However I have decided to go for it, as I feel I would likely regret not at least attempting this in 10 years time.

I just had a couple of questions that I thought may be suited to this thread as I would like to apply for internal medicine, hopefully followed by Cardiology. That is far into the future, and I appreciate it will be extremely extremely difficult for an IMG.
I aim aiming to have finished STEP 1 and STEP 2 CK, by December 2021. My only priority at the moment is to ensure I score highly. My questions pertain to the STEP 1 and also USCE and CV gaps.

Firstly, do you guys feel it is sensible to attempt the Step 1 prior to it becoming pass fail, in a bid to get a high score and potentially stand out from other IMGs at the time of application who only have a Pass, or do you feel that the selection committees may not even have access to a 3 dight score if some applicants are being scored as pass fail? I do appreciate that the Step 2 CK will likely take up an increased role of importance.

My second question pertains to USCE, of which I currently have none. I appreciate that as I have already graduated, I will only be able to do observerships. I am hoping to do 2-3 months worth with an aim of getting some US letters of recommendation. Again this will be difficult as the Attendings will not be able to see me actually practice medicine. However the hope is that I can impress them with my knowledge, professionalism, communication skills and enthusiasm. In addition I would of course try to have a letter of recommendation from the head of Medicine at my current hospital. I appreciate this is not ideal, but would it at least fulfil a minimum requirement and give me a shot if I had excellent STEP scores, considering I am applying for internal medicine which is traditionally one of the lesser competitive specialties ( I have no idea why, as I absolutely love it)?

In the UK we do 2 postgraduate years rotating through different specialties as Junior Doctors every 4 months prior to beginning a specialty training programme. I am due to finish at the end of July next year, after which I have a choice of either going into training in the UK, or taking a year out to either do a research masters in cardiovascular science, while working 1-2 days a week clinical, or getting a non training job/moonlighting in order to save up some money and undertake some (very expensive) observerships in the US. Would this period be classed as a CV gap if I were still working a couple of days a week as a doctor? Not doing a research degree would grant me more flexibility in terms of getting more USCE. Is the potential research exposure worth having only 1 month of USCE prior to application, or is it preferable to have more USCE and work on my CV in other ways?

I am so sorry for the essay, but I would really appreciate your opinions regarding this. I would also like to wish good luck to all my colleagues who are applying for the match this year, I really hope you are rewarded for all your hard work. Thank you so much in advance!!

Last edited:
Hi guys!
US IMG
YOG: 2017
Step 1: 247
Step 2CK: 252
Step 2CS: Pass (first attempt)
Step 3: 237
USCE: 5 months
No pubs, trying to get some research experience.

Fingers crossed for all of us!

sorry was non us until recently got my green card

I just read somewhere that only IMGs born and raised in the US are considered US IMGs whereas those who recently got a green card (myself included) are considered non-US IMGs. Could anyone please tell me if this is true?

Is the potential research exposure worth having only 1 month of USCE prior to application, or is it preferable to have more USCE and work on my CV in other ways?

First, I don't know. Here's my intuition.

Unless the research is at a US program that you are expecting to match at, the research is not going to help. IMGs that are not research superstars are not likely to match at research intensive programs.

USCE is you can get it is probably better. All the more if it will get you LORs from American physicians.

I just read somewhere that only IMGs born and raised in the US are considered US IMGs whereas those who recently got a green card (myself included) are considered non-US IMGs. Could anyone please tell me if this is true?
I think this is correct, but not needing a visa is an advantage.

What does it matter?
Typically a US citizen that went abroad to go to medical school is known as an IMG, someone that is not a US citizen that went to a foreign school is known as an FMG.

But more important is whether one needs a visa...if you are an FMG that doesn’t need a visa, you will have a leg up on the FMG that is visa requiring.

Thank you for clarifying that!

What does it matter?
Typically a US citizen that went abroad to go to medical school is known as an IMG, someone that is not a US citizen that went to a foreign school is known as an FMG.

But more important is whether one needs a visa...if you are an FMG that doesn’t need a visa, you will have a leg up on the FMG that is visa requiring.

Note: I'm an international student at a USMD school, I need a visa, preferably H1B given the current political climate

School: Mid tier MD, South
Step 1: 240s
Step 2: Low 260s
AOA: Yes
Research: 2 research posters, 2 vignettes, 1 manuscript currently unpublished (not first or second author)
Clerkships: unfortunately all are pass/fail at my school, but top 25% in all of them on MSPE
EC's: 4-5 leadership, 4-5 community service.

Goals: Hopefully H1B visa, possible fellowship, New York preferable as I have family there.

Current list of programs (mostly cuz they offer H1B, 4-5 of these only offer J1):

Icahn MSSM
Yale
Cornell/Columbia/ NYU (only offer J1)
Beth Israel Deaconness
UPenn
UPMC
Emory
Mayo
Vanderbilt
UChicago
Montefiore
Zucker
Icahn morningside west
Jacobi
NYMC
Westchester
Sidney Kimmel
Temple
BU
Tufts
Rush
Downstate
Maimonides
Icahn Beth Israel
Albert Einstein philly
Yale Greenwich/ bridgeport

(I have other programs at other states on my list adding to a total of 45-50 programs)

I would really love some insight as this year is going to be so different than other years and there's also very little info out there for USMD's who are on visas. I know it will be extremely hard for me to procure an H1B so on ERAS I'm applying for both H1 and J1 however I'm tired of living in constant fear and would very much like some stability.

How likely is it that someone like me might manage to match at an institution with an H1B? Thank you all so much for your help! Good luck to us all in this application cycle :)

As a USMD I have a small amount of insider info, I am also willing to answer any questions you might have as best as I can!

Non US-IMG

YOG: 2016
Step 1: 259
Step 2 CK: 257
CS: Applying through Pathway 1
OET: Result expected on Oct 1st.
USCE: None
4 years home country experience (2 years internship + 2 years IM)
Publications: 3

Hoping to pass in OET and become ECFMG certified before Oct 21st.
Applying widely. Aspiring for a competitive fellowship (Cardiology)
What are my chances for a University/ University-affiliated program?

Non US- IMG - needs visa

YOG: 2019
Step 1 : 22x (1st attempt)
Step 2: 23x (1st attempt)
CS: Applying through Pathway 2 (hopefully)
OET: passed
Step 3: not done yet
USCE: 1 month + LOR
2 publications

3 LORs - 1 from US

I just want a job in big city / near big city - looking to be a hospitalist, possibly haem/onc in the future.

Best of luck everyone!

Last edited:
So more here some more looks at the match data in internal medicine. This time we look at effect of research and publications. I found the results somewhat surprising since I'd heard that research was a way to stand out from other candidates. The data may not support this, at least with respect to the number of research projects and publications. Unfortunately, the NRMP does not provide data concerning the quality or impact of research, Even so, I am becoming convinced that we may vastly overestimate the impact of research on IMGs matching in IM,

Keep in mine that US MDs (97%) and DOs (93%) matched at much higher rate than IMGs (60%) and US-IMGs (57%) in IM.

As before, I'll start with US MDs and us them for comparison,

qJW4l9K.png

American graduates have a better than 93% chance of matching without any research. This ticks up to 95% with a single project. After that, it hovers around 97-98% regardless of the number of additional projects.

For IMGs (non-US), research has a some effect, but not to the extent I expected.

3SDKL4Y.png

The match rate is around 57% for no research, and it climbs up (although not directly) to around 67% for 4 projects. There is a slight drop in the match rate for 5+ projects. I'm not sure if this is noise or if there is something there. (I have some suspicions, but I'll wait till after the US-IMG data.)

Speaking of US-IMG, this was the most surprising.

8uw2q8F.png

US-IMGs sit at 60+% for a couple of projects and then drop of to 45% for 5+ projects. What is happening here? And is it a stronger instance of the drop in IMG match rates for 5+ projects?

Here are my suspicions. Please weight in with your thoughts.

1. Why does research not have a a larger impact for IMGs and US-IMGs?
I suspect (These seem reasonable to me, but I lack data.) that the majority of the internal medicine programs that consider IMGs are not generating much research. The faculty of all accredited residency programs are required to publish to maintain accreditation, but it is not a huge quota. There is also not a requirement that it be ground-breaking research. At academic programs, the faculty are motivated to publish as part of their career and compensation. For community programs, research may be seen more as an additional administrative requirement that is not well motivated or compensated. Having research-intensive residents may not be a benefit to these programs.

2. Why is there an apparent downward trend for a larger number of research projects?
I don't know. This surprised me. Some guesses. (Please suggest your own.)
  • More research projects may be tied to a longer time since graduation. Residency programs look down on older Year of Graduations. Many applicants spend time after graduation doing research. It could be that having more research projects is a problem. It may be real problem is an old YOG and there is a correlation with a larger number of projects,
  • Community programs may be concerned that research-intensive applicants might not be happy at a low-research program.
Is there any way to remediate this? If YOG is the problem, I don't think so. Older YOGs are a know challenge, especially if you have no way of maintaining US clinical experience. If the problem is projected happiness, I think this can be addressed in the personal statement and (maybe) letters of interest.

Now that we've looked at the number of projects, can we say anything about the effect of the quality of research? NRMP does not provide direct data for this. However, maybe we can infer some. If we take publications as a proxy for good (or at least productive) research, Here, we can say a little.

7rTJxDC.png

9cG74cw.png

For the US-IMGs, the data (or at least my analysis) has enough noise that I don't think I can say anything. But for non-US IMGs, there may be a slight upward trend for a larger number of publications. Productive researchers may benefit from being attractive to more academic programs. It may also be that the more productive researchers have more contacts with American programs, better LOR, etc.

The number of research projects says nothing about the QUALITY of your research. Some people just list every time they have seen a pipette while others list the one 3-year postdoc that resulted in one Nature paper. Garbage in, garbage out.

The number of research projects says nothing about the QUALITY of your research.

Indeed. I stated as much in my first paragraph.

Some people just list every time they have seen a pipette while others list the one 3-year postdoc that resulted in one Nature paper. Garbage in, garbage out.

I don't disagree. However, I don't see how this changes the conclusion. A three year postdoc means a three-year older YOG, and likely means a three year gap in clinical experience. A pub in Nature is impressive by itself, but it has limited value a community IM program. I am suspect of the idea that it compensates for the gap in clinical experience. I think there is a reason that US MSTPs typically complete their PhD between their M2 and M3 years. They go into the Match with no clinical gap.

I do think research will help if you are a true superstar, impress the PI, and the PI is willing to go to bat for you. If you read through last year's thread, there was one such candidate. S/he had 20+ (IIRC) interviews at some top programs, many at programs supporting international research. Unfortunately, most IMGs are not in this situation.

Hello Everyone!

Non US-IMG - Needs Visa

Step 1 : 23X (1st attempt)
Step 2: Score Pending (should be released by Oct 14)
CS: Applying through Pathway 2
OET: Pending (December)
Step 3: Not done
USCE: All cores/electives in US
3 US LORs
5 Journal Publications + 3 Posters

I am a little worried about not being ECFMG certified by Oct 21 since my OET is booked in December. Do you think this will have a huge impact on my application even though my Step 1 and Step 2 scores are in? Especially given how late in the year the OET option was offered in the current climate of the pandemic. Advice appreciated, thanks!

Hello Everyone!

Non US-IMG - Needs Visa

3 US LORs

I am a little worried about not being ECFMG certified by Oct 21 since my OET is booked in December. Do you think this will have a huge impact on my application even though my Step 1 and Step 2 scores are in? Especially given how late in the year the OET option was offered in the current climate of the pandemic. Advice appreciated, thanks!
A lot of programs require you to be ECFMG certified to interview, so depending on when you get it, it might be a little late in the cycle?

Hello Everyone!

Non US-IMG - Needs Visa

3 US LORs

While its true that being ECFMG certified will likely be a plus, I'm of the opinion that programs will be more flexible given the current situation. Not everyone can meet up with Oct 21. Nobody can say for certain though, it can go either ways honestly, just seems more likely that programs will be understanding. Super unpredictable.

Stats:
Non-US IMG. YoG 2020
All first attempt
DrBigStan did you eventually take step 3? If you did, how was it? I will be taking mine this coming Tuesday. Very nervous.