IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A lot of programs require you to be ECFMG certified to interview, so depending on when you get it, it might be a little late in the cycle?
theywanv you to be verified, meaning have passed Step I, CK, and CS, but you don't have to have your actual certification...you can get that only after graduation...all the 4 th year students wouldn't be able to apply.

programs that require ECFMG certification are actually trying to weed out any I/FMG applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I am a new user so I could not find the option for posting a new thread. So I decided to write here instead. Here is my question:

I am a Non- US IMG with YOG 2018. My step 1 score is 243 and I am in the process of taking CK. I have 1 year research fellowship experience (2019-2020) and currently working as Research Coordinator since July, 2020. I worked on 4-5 publications but could not submit any of them yet.

I have decent amount of USCE with some strong connections. I am confused about applying to 2021 match. Because by the time I make the application, my ck result will be pending. Plus, I will get ecfmg certificate through pathway 1 and I am planning to take Oet exam in November.

Given my status above, should I apply to this cycle or should wait for the next cycle with a complete application? Any recommendations are appreciated and thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Given my status above, should I apply to this cycle or should wait for the next cycle with a complete application? Any recommendations are appreciated and thanks in advance!

When at you taking CK? Have you already started applying?

Waiting another year will make your YOG 4 years old. PDs will wonder how much your USCE has faded.

I'd lean towards applying if you can, but it's getting late in the season already to start the process.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When at you taking CK? Have you already started applying?

Waiting another year will make your YOG 4 years old. PDs will wonder how much your USCE has faded.

I'd lean towards applying if you can, but it's getting late in the season already to start the process.
Thank you for the response ! I am going to get my exam on October 20 and I graduated in 2018, how is it considered 4 years if I apply next year? isn't it going to be 3 years ?

DrBigStan did you eventually take step 3? If you did, how was it? I will be taking mine this coming Tuesday. Very nervous.
Im set to take mine on monday, super anxious but I really just wanna get it over with. Il update once I get my score report.

Hey guys! This is my first time posting on and I was wondering what my chances are ? it’s my first time applying for the match.
Visa status: US citizen IMG
YOG: 2019
Step 1: 218
Step 2 CK: 238
Step 2 CS: Pass
ECFMG certified (the standard way—- pathways not needed since I passed CS)
Step 3: currently preparing hoping to take it by end of this year
All first attempt
USCE: 9+ Months of ongoing clinical experience in few hospitals preCOVID, and clinics, I have many strong LORs, MSPE, awards and accomplishments during Med school, working in a private clinic now
Research: 5 publications , 1 poster presentation at an international conference
Volunteer experience: abroad during Med school and doing remote volunteering during COVID
Applying super broadly. Really hoping to match this year. And wishing the best for Everyone else! These are tough times! :/
Hoping I have a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! This is my first time posting on and I was wondering what my chances are ? it’s my first time applying for the match.
Visa status: US citizen IMG
YOG: 2019
Step 1: 218
Step 2 CS: Pass
ECFMG certified (the standard way—- pathways not needed since I passed CS)
Step 3: currently preparing hoping to take it by end of this year
All first attempt
USCE: 9+ Months of ongoing clinical experience in few hospitals preCOVID, and clinics, I have many strong LORs, MSPE, awards and accomplishments during Med school, working in a private clinic now
Research: 5 publications , 1 poster presentation at an international conference
Volunteer experience: abroad during Med school and doing remote volunteering during COV
Applying super broadly. Really hoping to match this year. And wishing the best for Everyone else! These are tough times! :/
Hoping I have a chance.
Even though your step 1 is slightly on the lower side the other aspects of your application look extremely strong. You've got US citizenship too. Solid chances of matching, I'd say.

Reactions: 2 users
theywanv you to be verified, meaning have passed Step I, CK, and CS, but you don't have to have your actual certification...you can get that only after graduation...all the 4 th year students wouldn't be able to apply.

programs that require ECFMG certification are actually trying to weed out any I/FMG applicants.
Hey Rokshana, I've read your advice on last year's internal medicine match thread for img's and appreciated you saying things as they are. Would you have anything to say about my application? What is your gut feeling about me not having my oet scores in time for Oct 21 to be ecfmg verified?

Even though your step 1 is slightly on the lower side the other aspects of your application look extremely strong. You've got US citizenship too. Solid chances of matching, I'd say.
@teeshake, Thank you so much! Yeah, I had a lot going on during my step 1 (family loss, tragedy, etc.) My assessments were really high but I don't know what happened. Luckily, I managed to show improvement in CK (+20 pts) and passed everything on the first go. So I hope that looks good? :( Thank you so much again for your input. Really hope to match somewhere. Good luck to you too!

@teeshake, Thank you so much! Yeah, I had a lot going on during my step 1 (family loss, tragedy, etc.) My assessments were really high but I don't know what happened. Luckily, I managed to show improvement in CK (+20 pts) and passed everything on the first go. So I hope that looks good? :( Thank you so much again for your input. Really hope to match somewhere. Good luck to you too!
Yeah your CK is great, there was significant improvement from Step 1. You got this!

Hey guys.. I had a question. My letter author changed jobs after my rotation.. although he has uploaded my letter I'm unsure if he did it on a professional letter head or a plain paper. And if it is on a professional letter head, would it create confusion for the PDs while seeing the discrepancy between site of elective, letter head and current designation?
I would be extremely grateful if someone could please shed some light on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys.. I had a question. My letter author changed jobs after my rotation.. although he has uploaded my letter I'm unsure if he did it on a professional letter head or a plain paper. And if it is on a professional letter head, would it create confusion for the PDs while seeing the discrepancy between site of elective, letter head and current designation?
I would be extremely grateful if someone could please shed some light on this.
Totally irrelevant and a non-issue.

Totally irrelevant and a non-issue.
Can you please expand on that? Do you mean that the presence or absence of the letter head shouldn't make any difference to the application review committee?

Last edited:
Non US-IMG

YOG: 2016
Step 1: 259
Step 2 CK: 257
CS: Applying through Pathway 1
OET: Pass
USCE: None
4 years home country experience (2 years internship + 2 years IM)
Publications: 3

Expected ECFMG certification before Oct 21st.
Applying widely. Aspiring for a competitive fellowship (Cardiology)
What are my chances for a University/ University-affiliated program?

Can you please expand on that? Do you mean that the presence or absence of the letter head shouldn't make any difference to the application review committee?
His title. Irrelevant. Nothing you can do about the letterhead other than ask the writer.

Anyone uploading a Department of Medicine (DOM) letter? If we already have three letters of recommendation from US attendings and the MSPE uploaded, does a DOM from a chair outside the US really matter?

If we already have three letters of recommendation from US attendings and the MSPE uploaded, does a DOM from a chair outside the US really matter?

Unless the chair is known by the PD and knows you very well, I wouldn't expect it to carry much weight.

Anyone uploading a Department of Medicine (DOM) letter? If we already have three letters of recommendation from US attendings and the MSPE uploaded, does a DOM from a chair outside the US really matter?
Is this similar to the summary letter that AAIM recommended?

A lot of programs require you to be ECFMG certified to interview, so depending on when you get it, it might be a little late in the cycle?

Damn well I guess let’s see, definitely going to be sending in my application and just hope for the best.

While its true that being ECFMG certified will likely be a plus, I'm of the opinion that programs will be more flexible given the current situation. Not everyone can meet up with Oct 21. Nobody can say for certain though, it can go either ways honestly, just seems more likely that programs will be understanding. Super unpredictable.

The unpredictability is killing me! Lol

Hey guys, good luck to everyone applying!

US-IMG

YOG: 2018
Step 1: 224
CS: Pass on 2nd attempt
Step 3: Not done
ECFMG Certified
USCE: 5 months of externships with observerships in between; 4 US LORs
2 Research Experiences
Publications: 2 Publications

Applying very broadly this year. What do you think my chances are? Been trying to decide whether or not to take step 3...would you advise trying to take it within the year and update programs with a score?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I have a question.

After submitting your CV on ERAS, how long does it take for them to process before you can apply for programs? Thanks.

Hey guys, good luck to everyone applying!

US-IMG

YOG: 2018
Step 1: 224
CS: Pass on 2nd attempt
ECFMG Certified
USCE: 5 months of externships with observerships in between; 4 US LORs
2 Research Experiences
Publications: 2 Publications

Applying very broadly this year. What do you think my chances are? Been trying to decide whether or not to take step 3...would you advise trying to take it within the year and update programs with a score?
Well, if you're sure you can study effectively for Step 3 without it getting in the way of your application this season, then why not? Cant hurt, especially with how unpredictable things are this year. Just my thoughts though.

Hi, I have a question.

After submitting your CV on ERAS, how long does it take for them to process before you can apply for programs? Thanks.
Submit CV? I dont think thats possible. Did you mean something else? Once you fill the ERAS application itself and have all your documents uploaded (The CV isnt part of this), you can apply right away.

Well, if you're sure you can study effectively for Step 3 without it getting in the way of your application this season, then why not? Cant hurt, especially with how unpredictable things are this year. Just my thoughts though.
Step 3 very much can hurt. It's not necessary and programs don't care about it unless you flub it. So if you can somehow guarantee another 10-30 point bump over 2CK (which you can't), then go for it. Otherwise it's a waste of time and money that can't help you and can potentially hurt you.

Hey guys, My stats
need visa
step 1- 243
step 2-254
Yog- 2019
5 months usce
will probably be ecfmg certified by mid-December. Will be able to get any interviews? will PD not even consider my application due to lack of the certificate?

Last edited:
Otherwise it's a waste of time and money that can't help you and can potentially hurt you.
I disagree
There are some program which do care about step 3. They specifically mention on their website that passing step 3 isn't required but highly favorable.

I disagree
There are some program which do care about step 3. They specifically mention on their website that passing step 3 isn't required but highly favorable.

this again is the reason that the current attending, PDs, faculty, etc don't post here...everyone thinks that their opinions are weighted the same.

if you do poorly on step III, it will be a ding against you...and since the poster needs a visa, is 2 years out form graduation, and has middling step scores and a failed CS, its not like he has a great track record here...there is nothing that says he will get in the 250-260 on step 3 when he hasn't done an intern year which is when Step 3 is to be taken.

the number of red flags that he has is not going to be mitigated by an outstanding step 3...and there is no guarantee that he will get that.

Hey Rokshana, I've read your advice on last year's internal medicine match thread for img's and appreciated you saying things as they are. Would you have anything to say about my application? What is your gut feeling about me not having my oet scores in time for Oct 21 to be ecfmg verified?
I am in the same boat, will probably be certified by mid-December, as far as I have gathered is we'll most likely lose on a lot of interviews but will still get a few and need to perform and show that you are a very deserving applicant. Maybe inform the programs as soon as you get certified.

Step 3 very much can hurt. It's not necessary and programs don't care about it unless you flub it. So if you can somehow guarantee another 10-30 point bump over 2CK (which you can't), then go for it. Otherwise it's a waste of time and money that can't help you and can potentially hurt you.
That's what I was thinking also. I wasn't entirely sure if it was worth the risk. Thank you.

this again is the reason that the current attending, PDs, faculty, etc don't post here...everyone thinks that their opinions are weighted the same.

if you do poorly on step III, it will be a ding against you...and since the poster needs a visa, is 2 years out form graduation, and has middling step scores and a failed CS, its not like he has a great track record here...there is nothing that says he will get in the 250-260 on step 3 when he hasn't done an intern year which is when Step 3 is to be taken.

the number of red flags that he has is not going to be mitigated by an outstanding step 3...and there is no guarantee that he will get that.
No need for visa. I definitely see what you mean though. I think my main question was if taking and passing step 3 would mitigate the red flags in my application but it sounds like it wouldn't too much. thank you.

Will this year be any different? Will not having ECFMG certificate at the time of application cost you all your interviews. I know its obviously a big advantage over people who are not certified, will I be invited to interview at least a few places without the ECFMG certificate. I will be applying through the pathways and I am expecting to be certified by mid-December.
My other stats are
Step 1 242
Step 2 254
USCE 5 months
3 US LORs 2 of which i believe are quite strong. 1 LOR from the chair of IM of my med school in my home country.
YOG 2019
Need Visa

That's what I was thinking also. I wasn't entirely sure if it was worth the risk. Thank you.

No need for visa. I definitely see what you mean though. I think my main question was if taking and passing step 3 would mitigate the red flags in my application but it sounds like it wouldn't too much. thank you.
sorry, missed the US -IMG noted in your post..that does take a big red flag off your list...get your application out and apply widely and broadly...better you apply to "too many places" and have too many IVs...then you get to be a bit more picky.

Will this year be any different? Will not having ECFMG certificate at the time of application cost you all your interviews. I know its obviously a big advantage over people who are not certified, will I be invited to interview at least a few places without the ECFMG certificate. I will be applying through the pathways and I am expecting to be certified by mid-December.
My other stats are
Step 1 242
Step 2 254
USCE 5 months
3 US LORs 2 of which i believe are quite strong. 1 LOR from the chair of IM of my med school in my home country.
YOG 2019
Need Visa
AGAIN and this seems to come up every year....every.year.
If ECFMG certification was required for applying for interviews, then NO 4th year student (ie all those Caribbean /offshore schools would not be able to apply in their final year because CERTIFICATION requires a DIPLOMA.

Programs want to know you will be eligible for the Match..and you have to be ECFMG verified, meaning you have PASSED step I, CK, and CS scores by the time of the Match (actually they give a grace of a 1 week after the ROL is due), and they don't want to use precious IV slots on people that may not be able to match anyway.

CAN you get IVs without all three passed? sure...high scores in Step I may get you some IVs, especially in specialties that have a preference for step I...but why would you go into the season without having your best possible application. Know that going in, that if you don't have everything in on the first day, you may get less number of interviews, or not get some places that may have entertained your application instead of filtering it out.

Thank you for clarifying. During my program research, i have also seen a number of programs specifically state that Step 3 is preferred, so i thought it would be a plus. Seems it wont.

IM resident here from OHSU (Oregon Health and Science University)! Just wanted you to check out our new Instagram account (@ohsuimres) to learn more about our IM program in the gorgeous PNW! Follow our account to learn more!

Hey, does anyone know how long it is taking for ERAS to process and release LORs these days?
One of my LORs was uploaded on Monday (it is the end of Friday now) and ERAS has still not released it. I know 5 days isn’t a big deal when they mention it can take upto 2 weeks. I’m just starting to get a little worried because previously my LORs have been released within a few hours by ERAS.
Thanks

Hey, does anyone know how long it is taking for ERAS to process and release LORs these days?
One of my LORs was uploaded on Monday (it is the end of Friday now) and ERAS has still not released it. I know 5 days isn’t a big deal when they mention it can take upto 2 weeks. I’m just starting to get a little worried because previously my LORs have been released within a few hours by ERAS.
Thanks
Mine took roughly 3 days. I called them on the 3rd day and they explained that the closer you get to the 21st of oct, the longer its going to take to process due to the sheer number of LORs being processed.

Mine took roughly 3 days. I called them on the 3rd day and they explained that the closer you get to the 21st of oct, the longer its going to take to process due to the sheer number of LORs being processed.

Thank you for your reply and the information. How long ago was this?

10 days ago. Id expect the number of LORs being processed to be pretty high around now. You could also call ECFMG and ask for the status of your LOR.

Thanks. Yeah if they were taking 3 days to process it 10 days ago, I’m sure around this time it would take more than a week atleast. I will give them a call towards the end of next week.

sorry, missed the US -IMG noted in your post..that does take a big red flag off your list...get your application out and apply widely and broadly...better you apply to "too many places" and have too many IVs...then you get to be a bit more picky.
Will do, thank you for your input.

Does anyone know how long it takes ECFMG to complete the pathway process? I’ve applied for pathway three.

Update to my earlier stats since a score came out

Non US-IMG - Needs Visa

YOG: 2021
Step 1 : 23X (1st attempt)
Step 2: 24X (1st attempt)
CS: Applying through Pathway 4
OET: Pending (December)
USCE: All cores/electives in US
3 US LORs
5 Journal Publications + 3 Posters

Goodluck everyone!

yog:2014
usce:4yrs
green card- IMG
step1 240
step2 243
cs passed first attempt
preparing for step3
2 US LORs working on another 1
no research except a case report
what are my chances in im

Last edited:
yog:2014
usce:4yrs
green card- IMG
step1 240
step2 243
cs passed first attempt
preparing for step3
2 US LORs working on another 1
no research except a case report
what are my chances in im
The yog is a red flag, but otherwise probably ok...apply to a lot of programs and make sure you apply to community programs.