In need of advice on Opto Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

handyman22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, at the moment I am very confused as to what to do.
I have a 3.1 GPA, a 330/340 OAT
-two years worth of shadowing at a non profit health care clinic that provided eye care, dental care, and medical care
-two years of internship at a private Optometry practice
-a year of volunteer service helping children and young adults with genetic disabilities through therapeutic exercises
-Tutored systemic physiology
-shadowed optometrists in various optometric settings: Wal-mart, Sears, Lens crafters, private practices etc...

I applied very late in the cycle because I wanted to boost my gpa a little higher and scored A's in both my genetics and biochemistry courses. My number one choice happened to be SCCO or Western University because they are both close to home and my family. However, I was declined for an interview at Western which broke my heart and am still waiting on SCCO. I have another interview at SCO (and possibly NSU), and got accepted into UIWSO. My heart was really set on staying in CA, and am unsure of whether I should just attend UIWSO or wait until the next cycle and re-apply when the cycle begins. I will have to re-take my OAT's if I decide to wait for the next cycle because it is now 2 years old. Any input and suggestions are fully appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I used to have that feeling about California too. I live up in the Sacramento area and there wasn't any way in hell I was going to make it into Berkeley. :p And unfortunately, ALL the west coast schools gave me the cold shoulder. However, I also got interviews in the midwest/east coast. My dad was like "aw...you'll be leaving then...." but to be honest, I'm not as bummed about it as I thought I was going to be. I see myself as settling down after OD school and I figure this is my last chance to live life before getting tied down by a job/family. I went to college at Davis and never really left CA except for brief trips. I kind of envied all my friends from hs who went to the east coast for school, they sounded like they had a ton of fun.

So if you don't get into SCCO, consider what else you want out of life and see if it behooves you to try a school further away from home! You might find that you like the idea and it's definitely chance to grow!

Awesome Mewcakes, I also live in Sacramento! Have you gotten a definitive answer on the admissions on any of the schools you interviewed at?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah, I interviewed at SCO last Friday and now they're on their spring break. I have an interview at UMSL in April and still waiting on PCO. So yeah, California is definitely unique in that there's no other place like it, but when you grow up in the bay and only go as far as Davis for college, one is left wondering if there is anything else out there, you know? So if I end up doing another application cycle, I'm going to really have to assess which area of the country I want to have my last hurrah in. If I get in this cycle then my choice is made for me, but I will definitely be excited for the next 4 years no matter where it is.

handyman - I totally sympathize with wanting to stay close to friends and family. I went to college 2 hours away from home so I made frequent trips home. Unfortunately, I had to go out of state for OD school since VA doesn't have one, and I was terrified to be completely honest. I have my husband with me so that makes it a lot better, but I cried for months after moving because I was so, so homesick. Once school started up and I met more people and had friends to hang out with it got much better. (we moved to Memphis 4 months before I started school due to my husband's job.) Don't be afraid of venturing out! It's hard, but you might end up enjoying your new place. :)

Ty JM! I really appreciate how you can sympathize with me! I'm glad that you had the support of your husband. I wish my girlfriend could come with me to the school of my choice, but unfortunately there aren't any Law schools in those areas that she is particularly interested in. =*(