In Need of Reapplication Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyduck_0

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Hope all is well amidst this chaos. :rolleyes:
Basically, I applied last cycle knowing I wasn't exactly the most outstanding applicant but had some hope. I ended up interviewing at 4/5 schools. I got rejected from 3 and waitlisted for 1. I did not get a spot. Came to terms with it and was actually looking forward to my gap year and not rushing into things. (May 2020 graduate) However, COVID-19 came along. I was shadowing at an outpatient site and was getting read to apply for more shadowing experience while also attempting to get an aide job. All that was ruined because of this pandemic. Now i'm lost on whether or not I'll have the time or opportunity to improve my application in time for July.

Main concerns:
  • I need a letter from a PT, I didn't have much time to leave an amazing impression on the outpatient PT. It is a possibility though.
  • I may not have diverse enough experience in different settings
    • 58 Inpatient rehab hospital
    • 40 pediatric outpatient
    • 3.5 acute care
    • 3.5 sub-acute
      • I could send in what I currently have and update as I go but I do wish I had more concrete and completed hours of experience before sending the app.
  • My volunteer and extracurricular is highly lacking. The only thing I can add since my first application is an ambassador position at my college. It went well and my supervisor said he'd be happy to write a letter for me. Regardless, I feel like doing more will look favorable. (Before someone suggests it, I have at-risk family members I can not volunteer at this time.)
I don't have my academic stats right off the top of my head but I can clarify later in a private message.
I do know i'm above a 3.5 overall which I know is minimum.
I scored around average for GRE's except did poorly on the writing portion.

Please private message me. Basically I am just unsure if I should even apply this time around or wait for COVID-19 to pass, build up my application more and then apply next summer. There's no shame in taking years off I just fear too much time will cause me to lose my rhythm.

P.s. Last cycle i limited myself to only schools in my area to save money. This cycle, if I apply, I would apply to a lot more and accept that I may just have to take on the huge debt. I did interview at 4/5, take those odds and apply it to maybe 15, I should get into at least 1 school right?

I just need some type of advice or opinions. COVID-19 really conflicting with my plans.

Members don't see this ad.

If you go on the PTCAS website, they have an entire article on what they’re suggesting for programs to do in light of all of this. That being said, do the best you can and make sure your application highlights your good qualities and use your essay and supplemental questions to explain things like hours.

I applied to 15 schools this cycle (my second cycle applying, last year I only applied to 2) and was rejected from 12, retracted my application from 1, waitlisted at 1, and still waiting to hear from one about interviews (they don’t start until 1/2021 so they typically hold interviews in the summer). That being said, applying more places blindly doesn’t increase your chances. At all. Instead of applying to so many schools (which is extremely expensive), just research where you’re applying and make sure your stats are competitive. If I end up having to apply again this upcoming cycle, that’s what I’ll be doing. It’s smarter and more cost effective.

Also, just saying, I feel you on the hours thing. I’d been working as a rehab tech since August and was laid off by my company 2 weeks ago because of all of this virus stuff. I was also looking into shadowing at some skilled nursing facilities and that went down the drain, too. Luckily I’ll be able to go back to my job once all of this blows over.

If I were you, I would contact the schools that rejected you and ask how you can improve your application. However, have you considered that there may be a problem with how you interview? Most applicants who get interviews get accepted, and schools typically offer interviews to serious candidates. If you had a bunch of interviews, but didn't get accepted, that may be an area to look at. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the interview point. For most schools (though not all) interviews are used to rule out red flags. Multiple interviews followed by rejections is cause for concern. See if you can do mock interviews with someone at your school and get feedback on your interviewing.

You also definitely can still volunteer right now and not put anyone at risk! So many remote possibilities! Online tutoring, calls/letters to socially isolated elderly, some places are letting people be involved in contact tracing (remotely), etc. Show that you can think outside the box.

I get the concern with taking on debt in applying, but just remember the huge debt you will be taking on in attending PT school.

Also, my advice for everyone is be careful saying things like COVID ruined everything. I know this is an informal forum, but that mindset would get you a big reject from me. PT schools want to see that you are adaptable and can roll with the punches. Health care workers are risking their lives, many people are in true financial distress, not getting in observation hours is a minor hiccup. Just a lesson to everyone to make sure they have some perspective if they are going to talk about how COVID impacted their application.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll be applying for the first time this cycle as a non-traditional applicant. I worked full time and was taking classes up until March when I dropped to part time work to start getting observation hours. Unfortunately, those were cancelled. I still plan on applying this cycle regardless of if I'm able to get hours and a PT letter. The requirements put in place weren't taking into account a pandemic that comes once a lifetime and some programs have stated that they are relaxing their requirements. From the sound of it, your application is in better shape than mine so far. You should definitely still apply!