In terms of gaining volunteer hours, I don't know whether to join Alpha Phi Omega or Big Brothers of America. Which offers more variety?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chem1o1

Reaction score
I've been volunteering around campus and now I wanted to join a structured organization that would allow me to do that and possibly lead in it. I know what I'm about to say sounds super f*cking cookie-cutter, but I'm trying to determine which organization has a better impact on the community? Also, which one of these looks more appealing? Does it even matter? Thanks : )

Members don't see this ad.

Big Brothers Big Sisters is a great program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As a brother in APhiO I absolutely love it, but it’s also highly variable from campus to campus. I would think BBA is more similar nationwide, and the adcom said BBA so I would trust them more. That being said I have loved being able to serve the community in a variety of ways because it taught me more about what I did/ didn’t want to do (we have some service opportunities at law firms, hospice wards, and recurring mentorship roles to low SES schools at my chapter)

Ask people who are members what they most enjoy about the organization. Be sure to ask sophomores as well as seniors and those in leadership positions (who are trying to recruit you) and those who are not. Get a feel for what is happening in these organizations in your local community. From afar, we really can't say what is happening in your location and which activity will resonate most with you.

Also, don't get hung up on variety. Sometimes the relationships you can build over time by working with the same people (those who are being helped and those you are helping) are important and particularly important to the people being helped. Also, you become a better helper as you get to know people over time and have an opportunity to help them and see the growth that occurs. I've just started volunteering with a group of grade school kids and a core group of young adults and we often debrief in the car on the way home about how some kids who struggle deal with frustration or disappointment and the best ways to nurture the child's growth. It has been very rewarding for me given that I spend most of my free time and my work day with adults.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users