In the Cosmic Sense...I'm OK...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So,

My best friend since third grade, the best man at my wedding, and Godfather of my oldest child is MIA in the massive Earthquake in Chile from this morning. I'm hoping he is OK.

The news reports say the quake itself last for three minutes straight at about 3 in the morning.

He took a job in radio astronomy for the U.S. gov't down there about three weeks ago. He was staying temporarily in a hotel in Santiago during his off week. I haven't talked to him since Sunday night.

He has no friends or relatives in the country, and barely speaks Spanish. Since this was his week off from the remote work location, I'm not sure he even has co-workers nearby. Imagine, the terror of waking in the night in the complete darkness to three minutes of complete disorientation in a foreign country and an unfamiliar room? Chaos.

Imagining the whole country being thrown into this chaos makes me ill.

When I reflect on my own sniveling problems and angst about med school, it seems petty and insignificant in comparison.

I have another friend who always says in response to questions about how she is doing: "In the Cosmic Sense: I'm OK"

In the the Cosmic Sense, I'm OK.

My thoughts are with all in Chile during this disaster.

-vc7777

Members don't see this ad.

good thoughts going out to your friend, I hope he is safe. I went through a 6.8 a few years ago in my city...it was terrifying

I'll be praying for your friend and your families! Please keep us posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
*Adds phrase to list of things to combat panic attacks*

Here's hoping for your friend, and for you, as you worry for your friend (yet believe in the depths of your being that he's ok, and yet worry nonetheless).

Update: glad to hear he's ok. Strange thing is, last night I dreamed I was taking a road trip to the southern-most end of Chile...it might mean something, except even in my dream, I was aware I wouldn't get that far on my expired passport...

Last edited: