Incarnate Word 2016 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! whooo whoo Class of 2016! :D:D:D
Goodluck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad.

I was also in the December interview panel.
Io haven't heard anything yet.
By the way how did they notified you about acceptance? email or phone 1st?
I received a phone call....They told me they were sending the letters out on wednesday!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah! Has anyone from out of state hear about it yet?!
:scared:

Accepted! but I am declining. Good luck to whoever gets my seat.

Accepted! but I am declining. Good luck to whoever gets my seat.

People that attends undergrad uiw and early acceptance is getting accepted now? I don't get the process... AH~:confused:

Just got an e-mail saying I was accepted to UIW!!!! It said official letter and supporting documents will be mailed soon!

Now to decide between UIW and Kingsville...decisions, decisions :scared:

Good luck everyone!

Just got an e-mail saying I was accepted to UIW!!!! It said official letter and supporting documents will be mailed soon!

Good luck everyone!

Price wise, Kingsville.

Good luck everyone!

By the way, I interviewed on 2/25

I'm really hoping I get accepted here...

Keeping my hopes high and takin it one day at a time!

is there a facebook group for UIW Class of 2016 yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am getting more and more anxious and nervous.. T_T

AHHH!!!! I hope the prayer is heard! :(

I got wait-listed. I got the letter in my mailbox, no email. I interviewed 2/25. Huge bummer. :'(

I got wait-listed. I got the letter in my mailbox, no email. I interviewed 2/25. Huge bummer. :'(

I am sorry! I haven't received my mail yet.. so I am not sure. What did your mail say??

I am in need of some financial input lol!!

How are you guys feeling about paying twice as much for UIW? I love UIW and I'm from SA, so staying here would be super convenient, but I am really struggling with the cost of tuition vs. the other school I was accepted to (Kingsville).

Would appreciate some other points of view and perspective!

How are you guys feeling about paying twice as much for UIW? I love UIW and I'm from SA, so staying here would be super convenient, but I am really struggling with the cost of tuition vs. the other school I was accepted to (Kingsville).

It's painful, I feel you. But you have to look at it in the long run... How are you going to manage your debt financially (in terms of family, and love life) after you graduate?

UIW is very convenient for you, but one thing you worry about is the financial disagreement. Looking at the economical situations, UIW can be a big disadvantage than Kingsville when you graduate from pharmacy school-- I know a graduate who has 120k in debt paying it off with 20 year plan.

If I was in your position, I would choose Kingsville if I want to be debt free faster and be more financially set (and also what the school offers of course) vs. I would choose UIW if the school offers great mission and where my passion relies in.

:thumbup:

Do not feel bad about being waitlisted at all. We have plenty of pepole in our class that were on the waitlist. Just make sure that you keep in close contact with the counselors so they know exactly who you are. This way when they start pulling from the waitlist (which they will), they will be able to put your name with a face. People get pulled off the waitlist the entire summer. Right up until orientation. Just make sure you have your $500 ready to go. Good luck :)

The cost of FSOP has given me pause as well, in fact I wouldn't have even applied if my situation were different. If I stay in San Antonio, I do not need to pay rent, if I go elsewhere I'd be dumping money into an apartment. If you need to pay rent whether you stay in San Antonio or not, this may not be such an issue for you.

Are the any other financial benefits to staying in San Antonio? For me I have a ridiculously flexible job that pays well, which I'd give up if I leave. In my case I would leave FSOP with less debt than Texas Tech (my 2nd choice). Overall cost was my primary concern for determining my first choice, it's good you are considering it.

Anyway, congratulations! This is truly my unbiased opinion, hope it helps!

Do not feel bad about being waitlisted at all. We have plenty of pepole in our class that were on the waitlist. Just make sure that you keep in close contact with the counselors so they know exactly who you are. This way when they start pulling from the waitlist (which they will), they will be able to put your name with a face. People get pulled off the waitlist the entire summer. Right up until orientation. Just make sure you have your $500 ready to go. Good luck :)

I'm wait listed as well, dang!!!

Any idea how many people they wait list?
Also, when you say keep in contact with the counselors, do you mean in person? So they can put a face to name? I certainly don't want to bug them. I thought the wait listed were also ranked and already in a line...?
Thanks!

The cost of FSOP has given me pause as well, in fact I wouldn't have even applied if my situation were different. If I stay in San Antonio, I do not need to pay rent, if I go elsewhere I'd be dumping money into an apartment. If you need to pay rent whether you stay in San Antonio or not, this may not be such an issue for you.

Are the any other financial benefits to staying in San Antonio? For me I have a ridiculously flexible job that pays well, which I'd give up if I leave. In my case I would leave FSOP with less debt than Texas Tech (my 2nd choice). Overall cost was my primary concern for determining my first choice, it's good you are considering it.

Anyway, congratulations! This is truly my unbiased opinion, hope it helps!

Well, I have to pay rent and all the bills regardless, and a move to Kingsville would be expensive...
I also have a pretty flexible position in my pharmacy and absolutely have to have medical insurance so I'm worried about transferring (but it's possible)...

AGGHHH...money money money! :confused: LOL

Go with Kingsville. Financially speaking, 1 semester at UIW = 1 year at Kingsville. In the end, you're still getting a PharmD degree anways. Downside to Kingsville is it's in the middle of no where and about 30 minutes away from Corpus, whereas San Antonio has everything you need with a small driving distance.

Well, I have to pay rent and all the bills regardless, and a move to Kingsville would be expensive...
I also have a pretty flexible position in my pharmacy and absolutely have to have medical insurance so I'm worried about transferring (but it's possible)...

AGGHHH...money money money! :confused: LOL

If I were in your situation I think I would go to incarnate word. Kingsville might be cheaper for tuition but in the end you might end up paying more because of an apartment and gas for traveling back home if you have family in SA. Also the rotations are not as convenient as they are for other schools. You might have to go as south as McAllen (2 hours away) coming and going so that's 4 hours of driving every Friday. I'm not trying to change your mind but I'm just giving you my own personal perspective. It seems like your also worried about your job. I'm assuming your a tech?? That's another reason to stay in SA your gaining more pharmacy experience which will in the end look really good on your resume when you graduate from pharmacy school and start looking for a job, Shoot if your lucky and you stay with that pharmacy they might even hire you right out of pharmacy school. That happened to a friend of mine that is in pharmacy school right now. He hasn't graduated yet and he is already hired as a pharmacist. Good luck though!! :)

I got letter today saying I am on wait list. I was so disappointed.
Any idea for people who on wait listed got accepted?
In the letter said that wait until July.

I received the letter last Thursday, I too was a little sad about not being accepted, rather wait listed. Its a relief to know that theirs still a chance to get in :)!! Has anyone asked how many people have been wait listed btw??

I'm so excited I'm in!!! I've been looking forward to this for a long time! God is good! Always believe in yourself, I did!

got a letter in the mail saying that I am wait listed......:(

Also, when you say keep in contact with the counselors, do you mean in person? So they can put a face to name? I certainly don't want to bug them. I thought the wait listed were also ranked and already in a line...?
Thanks!

Just keep your name in their minds. It's a fine line cause you don't want to annoy them but you don't want them to forget you. You will be surprised at how many people get accepted off the waitlist. I know in our class there was at least 15 people. Good luck everyone

Any experienced pharm students have advice or tips for the first block of classes? I know we begin with biochem! A class I didn't take as an undergrad!

Once you have been accepted and chosen the school you will be attending please submit your name and school to the following link, It is an Official Roll Call Thread. Also add any other school(s) you were accepted to. Think this is a great thread, it gives everyone a chance to see who their future classmates might be.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=847419

Any experienced pharm students have advice or tips for the first block of classes? I know we begin with biochem! A class I didn't take as an undergrad!

Hey I'm at FSOP right now. The first block is really tough, but doable. My advice is to not fall behind because it is almost impossible to catch up. As far as biochem, I'm pretty sure a lot of people struggled. You really have to read the book for that class. Make sure you know your organic functional groups and your amino acids. It would help if you knew those coming in. I also did not take biochem in undergrad so I had to focus on that class a lot. The good thing is that the first block is only 5 weeks. After that 5 weeks, you are done with biochem. Just remember that you can do it. My next piece of advice is to use some sort or a daily planner. It will help you stay organized with assignments and due dates as well as the groups you are placed into. Most people leave their planner on the desk the whole day. lol. It really does help. The good thing about our blocks is that you only really have 2 hard classes at once. So first block I think your classes are biochem and pharmacy calculations. You will also have pharmacy communications and I belive another class. But those classes are not hard at all. You can definitely do it. Good luck. Remember that you have an entire class to help you. And you can always find a P2 or P3 to help. :)

Hey I'm at FSOP right now. The first block is really tough, but doable. My advice is to not fall behind because it is almost impossible to catch up. As far as biochem, I'm pretty sure a lot of people struggled. You really have to read the book for that class. Make sure you know your organic functional groups and your amino acids. It would help if you knew those coming in. I also did not take biochem in undergrad so I had to focus on that class a lot. The good thing is that the first block is only 5 weeks. After that 5 weeks, you are done with biochem. Just remember that you can do it. My next piece of advice is to use some sort or a daily planner. It will help you stay organized with assignments and due dates as well as the groups you are placed into. Most people leave their planner on the desk the whole day. lol. It really does help. The good thing about our blocks is that you only really have 2 hard classes at once. So first block I think your classes are biochem and pharmacy calculations. You will also have pharmacy communications and I belive another class. But those classes are not hard at all. You can definitely do it. Good luck. Remember that you have an entire class to help you. And you can always find a P2 or P3 to help. :)

So would it be a good idea (I think so..!) if future students at FSOP review biochem and other hard classes before entering? :)

Thanks for the tips pharmnik! I'm so excited to start in August! ;)

so for those who got a call from the school, did they call on an unknown #? or will you see the "210" area code?

I got a missed call on friday and was scared that it could have been the school, so i am going to call them on monday when they are open.

Got in as well. SWEET.
thanks for everyones input.
See you guys and gals in San Antonio, TX
z

Personally, do what you feel would be best for you in the long run. There are several pros and cons for every school, but you will be able to pay off your loans later once you graduate if you are frugal. Look at it as an investment.

I personally love UIW and would not ever change my decision.

Thanks!

yeah i got put on the wait list as well, what if you dont live in san antonio? would it be okay to email them to keep in contact with the counselors??

I just declined a seat, good luck to whoever is on the waiting list! best wishes :)

I spoke to one of the counselor's and they said we should for sure be hearing from them the first of April. Their might be several calls since I've been hearing about several declines to go elsewhere. Keep your hopes up my friends!!

I spoke to one of the counselor's and they said we should for sure be hearing from them the first of April. Their might be several calls since I've been hearing about several declines to go elsewhere. Keep your hopes up my friends!!

April 1st is a Sunday...

Biochem is nothing to get overly scared about. Probably the best thing to prepare for that class is to know the structure of all the amino acids. That would be a good start.

Just spoke with a counselor today. She said there has been no movement on any list so far and expect them to start moving down the waiting list in about a week or so.

*fingers crossed*

I got accepted for the Fall 2012. Can anyone tell me how the book you study for P1 like? Are the books available as ebook? Or are they all heavy books that you have to carry around all day? And what is the class schedule for P1? Are the classes start at 8AM everyday? If you miss the class, is there a recorded lecture that you can listen to? Thanks :)

I got accepted for the Fall 2012. Can anyone tell me how the book you study for P1 like? Are the books available as ebook? Or are they all heavy books that you have to carry around all day? And what is the class schedule for P1? Are the classes start at 8AM everyday? If you miss the class, is there a recorded lecture that you can listen to? Thanks :)

Congrats! I too got accepted in the fall :). On the interview day I spoke with a pharm student who said that lectures are recorded, also the notes written on the overhead by the instructor are posted online for students to view.

When did you get a call? were you on the waiting list?