including possible publishing on amcas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterlily

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have a publication yet, but I know that the project I'm working on will get published. It's just that my supervisor is busy working on her manuscript from her previous project and said that she'll start working on the manuscript for our project after that. I'll be one of the main authors of the paper, and even though I'm not published yet, could I include that I will have a publication in the near future under my research description under the activities section?

If you think that would be okay to include, how should I phrase it? "I have publishable results" or "manuscript pending" or what?

Members don't see this ad.

waterlily said:
I don't have a publication yet, but I know that the project I'm working on will get published. It's just that my supervisor is busy working on her manuscript from her previous project and said that she'll start working on the manuscript for our project after that. I'll be one of the main authors of the paper, and even though I'm not published yet, could I include that I will have a publication in the near future under my research description under the activities section?

If you think that would be okay to include, how should I phrase it? "I have publishable results" or "manuscript pending" or what?

Yes, absolutely. Use the phrase "in preparation for submission to the Journal of Whatever". When it does get published, you can send the schools an update letter saying so.

yes, include it so long as you can speak about it intelligently in the interview. i had 2 such listings on my application and at 4 of 6 interviews i got asked about it, sometimes with specific details.

i listed it as "manuscripts in preparation," followed by the authors, title, and then a bracketed phrase such as: [Submitted to J. Immunol.] or [Preparing for J. Immunol.].

i also included a sentence or two talking about the basic idea of the article or maybe how i was involved with the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the responses! :)

I need clarification. I am not preparing my project's manuscript at this moment. It all hinges upon my supervisor. Even the PI is pushing her to start on the manuscript, but the thing is she is doing tons of different projects and she is going to work on a few of her other manuscripts first before we begin OUR manuscript. (ugh, talk about frustrating!) I'm thinking by next fall, we will actually begin preparing the manuscript. In this case, should I still include something along the lines of "manuscript in preparation" in my activity section under my research experience...or should I not risk it since it's in the future and not immediately. Please help!!

waterlily said:
I need clarification. I am not preparing my project's manuscript at this moment. It all hinges upon my supervisor. Even the PI is pushing her to start on the manuscript, but the thing is she is doing tons of different projects and she is going to work on a few of her other manuscripts first before we begin OUR manuscript. (ugh, talk about frustrating!) I'm thinking by next fall, we will actually begin preparing the manuscript. In this case, should I still include something along the lines of "manuscript in preparation" in my activity section under my research experience...or should I not risk it since it's in the future and not immediately. Please help!!

i'm in a VERY similar situation -- sometimes these researchers can be insane!

i would honestly think you should put something down at least, not exactly sure what...but it shows that you did a research project that was publication-worthy, even if you don't get published until later :luck:

i wonder what everyone else will have to say to this...but i asked my research mentor where he thinks we're going to eventually submit the paper so that i can write: "preparing for submission to journal of _____"

maybe you could do this?

I am in a similar situation and would like some input as well. I won't be writing the submission but will be the major contributor of data. However, my research is being combined with another's by my prof into one paper. What to put on AMCAS? I've already written a blurb on my research experience and included the possibility of upcoming publication. Is this enough or should I be more aggressive and make a whole new experience titled "publications" or whatever?
Mainly I wanna know if I should use one whole experience listing for this publication deal, or just include it in my research experience. Thanks.

Personally, I don't think I'd refer to your work as "manuscript in preparation," although I guess all the work one does in the lab can be considered as such. However, the way the OP describes the situation, it sounds like manuscript preparation hasn't started yet since the supervisor is busy doing other things.

What I consider manuscript preparation is the actual writing of the paper. This includes knowing what journal you'll submit to, figure preparation, figure legends, bibliography, etc. If you have started any of these things, then I'd say yes you do have a manuscript in preparation.

Instead of listing "manuscript preparation" as an activity in AMCAS, why not just go into more detail about the publication potential of your work where you list your research postion in AMCAS. I hope I make sense.

I've been working full-time in research for 5 years and I sort of understand the situation you're in. Although you may get a publication, it might not happen as fast as you'd like.

nina512 said:
Personally, I don't think I'd refer to your work as "manuscript in preparation," although I guess all the work one does in the lab can be considered as such. However, the way the OP describes the situation, it sounds like manuscript preparation hasn't started yet since the supervisor is busy doing other things.

What I consider manuscript preparation is the actual writing of the paper. This includes knowing what journal you'll submit to, figure preparation, figure legends, bibliography, etc. If you have started any of these things, then I'd say yes you do have a manuscript in preparation.

Instead of listing "manuscript preparation" as an activity in AMCAS, why not just go into more detail about the publication potential of your work where you list your research postion in AMCAS. I hope I make sense.

I've been working full-time in research for 5 years and I sort of understand the situation you're in. Although you may get a publication, it might not happen as fast as you'd like.

I agree with this. Afer initial submission, the editors look over it and then ask for major/minor revisions for it and then they finally accept it or not. This takes about 4-5 months (really depends on your journal).

It sounds very Iffy if you dont know who you will be submitting to as well as to who the other co-authors of the manuscript will be.

nina512 said:

hi, thanks for the advice!

i understand what you mean...in the part where you say list details about publication potential, should one include possible journals, etc?

my supervisor is supposed to get back to me asap about the status of our manuscript, etc. as soon as he finishes up with another project he's on. i had been under the impression that we would begin preparing the manuscript sooner, but that didn't happen. i definitely want to indicate to med schools, however, that this project will be submitted as a manuscript soon. should the description include info about the details of the project itself as well as why it'll be publishable?

thanks for your help!!

wetlightning said:
hi, thanks for the advice!

i understand what you mean...in the part where you say list details about publication potential, should one include possible journals, etc?

my supervisor is supposed to get back to me asap about the status of our manuscript, etc. as soon as he finishes up with another project he's on. i had been under the impression that we would begin preparing the manuscript sooner, but that didn't happen. i definitely want to indicate to med schools, however, that this project will be submitted as a manuscript soon. should the description include info about the details of the project itself as well as why it'll be publishable?

thanks for your help!!

I completely understand the bind that you are in, so I think that you should mention the publication potential of your project in the research portion of the AMCAS. If the manuscript hasn't even been started yet you should not indicate it as "in preparation" for the Journal of ____. That is the terminology we use when the research isn't done yet or we are just trying to pad our CV's. What happens if you mention this and end up submitting to another journal or never end up submitting? and an interviewer asks you about the paper? Don't stress, if you have done enough research to merit a publication it will show in your recs and in your activities. Good Luck!

I agree with others. It is very difficult to predict when/if something will get published. You think you've done all the work, collected and analyzed all the data, but the reviewers always find something else you need to do. Definitely describe it as POTENTIAL manuscript, as STRONGLY as possible, without calling it a done deal :)

Good luck!

:luck: