Incoming M1 c/o 2020 Back to school thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some people have mentioned taking notes on their iPads and others have said they write on the PowerPoints on their iPads. I'm technology illiterate, so how is this done? Is there an app that needs to be downloaded? Orrrrr?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Some people have mentioned taking notes on their iPads and others have said they write on the PowerPoints on their iPads. I'm technology illiterate, so how is this done? Is there an app that needs to be downloaded? Orrrrr?
I think most people use Notability, which is available on macs and ipads (not sure about PCs).

Reactions: 1 users
For those who were talking about laptop purchases...

Just picked up a $1600 Dell XPS 13 for $1150 and a $1250 HP Spectre 360 for $1000 at Best Buy, both hiding in the open box/return section. Gonna return one after I test them out for a week or so. Might be worth swinging by your local store and checking that section out if you're looking to make a purchase in the near future.

If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to post pictures, mini reviews, and a comparison once I've tested these. Just let me know

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else terrified that they don't really know how to study and are going to get severely overwhelmed, have to drop out and become male ******, albeit very successful male ****** but still?

Reactions: 17 users
Anyone else terrified that they don't really know how to study and are going to get severely overwhelmed, have to drop out and become male ******, albeit very successful male ****** but still?
Well I started a week and a half ago and it is severely overwhelming lol. As a class I think we are doing alright but it is a huge adjustment. I think we have covered, and are responsible for, more material in a week and a half than I was in whole semesters of undergrad lol.

Not planning on dropping out and becoming a gigolo but that's an interesting idea.

Well I started a week and a half ago and it is severely overwhelming lol. As a class I think we are doing alright but it is a huge adjustment. I think we have covered, and are responsible for, more material in a week and a half than I was in whole semesters of undergrad lol.

Not planning on dropping out and becoming a gigolo but that's an interesting idea.
Aww for the first two sentences I thought you were talking about tricking.

Transparencies, page protectors, and glass are at least as cheap but imo work better.

Sent from my phone, sorry for any typos or brevity.

I've been checking out just 4x6 pieces of glass too. That would be my preferred, but it seems a bit more difficult.

I've been checking out just 4x6 pieces of glass too. That would be my preferred, but it seems a bit more difficult.
But Sharpie writing!
I was just going to set the glass on my desk

Reactions: 1 user
But Sharpie writing!
I was just going to set the glass on my desk

Oooh that makes more sense. I'm probably gonna go with the white board panel though because you can get a 4x8 for 12.50 or so.

Oooh that makes more sense. I'm probably gonna go with the white board panel though because you can get a 4x8 for 12.50 or so.
Fair. I just don't like whiteboard panels because I don't think they last very well and they look dirty.

Members don't see this ad :)

wtf MSU starts that early? Why?

Whiteboard panels and I have a lot in common then.
And I guess you'd probably go downhill pretty quickly if I started dousing you in isopropanol routinely, too!

Beginning of August! Then a 2 week break and we're back for Fall of M2 at the end of August

I thought I had it bad starting July 18th!!! Only a 2 week break as well? Best of luck my friend. Excited/terrified to start.

I finally gave season 9 a fair shot, and decided that Cole is definitely the med student that I hope to be.

I finally gave season 9 a fair shot, and decided that Cole is definitely the med student that I hope to be.
Just watched the last episode of Season 8 yesterday, and a ninth season just seems like heresy.

Just watched the last episode of Season 8 yesterday, and a ninth season just seems like heresy.
Watch it as if it were not scrubs, which was the intention of Bill Lawrence

I thought I had it bad starting July 18th!!! Only a 2 week break as well? Best of luck my friend. Excited/terrified to start.
First exam is this Tuesday and we have a had quiz every single day so far. There is so much material! Relax and enjoy your remaining time off.

Sent from my A1-840FHD using SDN mobile

My advice for new M1s:

-Do some sort of exercise at least 6 days a week. Don't do an hour of weights at the gym, that's not what I'm saying, but at least 30 minutes of cardio and/or stretching. I've gotten into a routine of alternating bike riding and yoga and it seriously has done wonders for my studying. Even if you're overwhelmed with material and feel behind, that's even more of a reason to take a break and get your blood flowing -- you'll retain far more. The worst students in our class are the ones that rely on 15 hour marathon study grinds.

-Every school is different but I would highly recommend against note taking during lecture unless it's something that was blatantly left off the slides. Make sure you review the slides BEFORE going to lecture, and actively listen while you watch/attend. It helps some people learn by doing some chicken scratches as the professor speaks, and this is fine, but seriously do not do detailed note taking unless you have a real ***hole for a professor that put zero effort into his/her slides (this is far more rare than it was in undergrad).

-Watch your diet, seriously. If all you eat is junk while you study, all your brain has to work with is junk. Not only that, cooking can be a great outlet and I've found it to be a very therapeutic break from studying. That guy studying all night in the library pounding 6 bags of Doritos for dinner? He's not the top of the class, I promise.

-On that note, make sure you SLEEP. A minimum of 6 hours every night, no exceptions. I try my absolute hardest to make sure I get 8 hours, but sometimes that's just not feasible. It may have worked in undergrad, but if you're trying to conquer med school exams on zero sleep it's only a matter of time before you fail one. The one exam I failed was the one I only slept 3 hours before, and it was my best subject (worst grade prior in that class was 95%). Also if/when you do fail an exam, know most of us have been there and you are certainly not alone. It sucks, it's embarrassing, but just focus on the retake (if that's your school's policy) and move on.

-When you study, cut off all non-essential electronics and put your phone on silent. Give special family/friends their own ringtone so you can be contacted in an emergency. The hour on, 15 minutes off method is amazing -- far more helpful than I thought it would be. Set a timer for an hour, and sit in silence with the material until the timer is done. After the hour, take 15 minutes to do whatever your heart desires, then repeat.

-If the sun is out, don't waste it. Whether it be to study, or during a break, I've found fresh air and some Vitamin D to be a great outlet to help refocus.

-Lastly, and this is super important, don't let anybody scare you into thinking med school is harder than it really is. I promise you will work much harder than you did in undergrad, and time management is absolutely essential, but I have yet to put more than 50 hours of work into any week thus far (including lecture, studying, seminars, etc.). There are serious diminishing returns on studying in med school; getting an 80-85 is relatively easy, getting a 95-100 requires literally triple the study time. It's up to you whether that's worth it or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 45 users
Lastly, and this is super important, don't let anybody scare you into thinking med school is harder than it really is. I promise you will work much harder than you did in undergrad, and time management is absolutely essential, but I have yet to put more than 50 hours of work into any week thus far (including lecture, studying, seminars, etc.). There are serious diminishing returns on studying in med school; getting an 80-85 is relatively easy, getting a 98-100 requires literally triple the study time. It's up to you whether that's worth it or not.

Oh thank GOD. Everyone is making it seem as though it's impossible. Although it's an uncomfortable experience, I am glad to hear it's not an impossible undertaking.

I'm gonna stop lurking and actually post now

I keep having dreams that I unknowingly failed one of my courses in undergrad and actually never graduated...I'm a little paranoid!

I can't believe my school starts in a little over a month! I feel like I should be doing something, anything, to prepare but it's just so much effort to get up and move.... :p
Same here. I had dreams I missed a final test more than a year after I graduated haha

28 days until I leave... Work is starting to suck more and more..

Reactions: 5 users
Moving my stuff down to philly at 4am tomorrow morning. Can't believe time has flown by this fast :(

Reactions: 4 users
Hmm, i should probably secure my living arrangements, now that there's less than a month before I go over to St Louis

Hmm, i should probably secure my living arrangements, now that there's less than a month before I go over to St Louis
My car is almost completely packed for the move, and I leave early Tues morning. Still haven't sent in a security deposit yet, lol! Actually, we didn't even have any rental applications in until the end of last week and we still snagged a cheap, cool place right by our school, so don't sweat!

*Of course YMMV especially in a completely different city, but I maintain that non stress is the way to go!

My advice for new M1s:

-Do some sort of exercise at least 6 days a week. Don't do an hour of weights at the gym, that's not what I'm saying, but at least 30 minutes of cardio and/or stretching. I've gotten into a routine of alternating bike riding and yoga and it seriously has done wonders for my studying. Even if you're overwhelmed with material and feel behind, that's even more of a reason to take a break and get your blood flowing -- you'll retain far more. The worst students in our class are the ones that rely on 15 hour marathon study grinds.

-Every school is different but I would highly recommend against note taking during lecture unless it's something that was blatantly left off the slides. Make sure you review the slides BEFORE going to lecture, and actively listen while you watch/attend. It helps some people learn by doing some chicken scratches as the professor speaks, and this is fine, but seriously do not do detailed note taking unless you have a real ***hole for a professor that put zero effort into his/her slides (this is far more rare than it was in undergrad).

-Watch your diet, seriously. If all you eat is junk while you study, all your brain has to work with is junk. Not only that, cooking can be a great outlet and I've found it to be a very therapeutic break from studying. That guy studying all night in the library pounding 6 bags of Doritos for dinner? He's not the top of the class, I promise.

-On that note, make sure you SLEEP. A minimum of 6 hours every night, no exceptions. I try my absolute hardest to make sure I get 8 hours, but sometimes that's just not feasible. It may have worked in undergrad, but if you're trying to conquer med school exams on zero sleep it's only a matter of time before you fail one. The one exam I failed was the one I only slept 3 hours before, and it was my best subject (worst grade prior in that class was 95%). Also if/when you do fail an exam, know most of us have been there and you are certainly not alone. It sucks, it's embarrassing, but just focus on the retake (if that's your school's policy) and move on.

-When you study, cut off all non-essential electronics and put your phone on silent. Give special family/friends their own ringtone so you can be contacted in an emergency. The hour on, 15 minutes off method is amazing -- far more helpful than I thought it would be. Set a timer for an hour, and sit in silence with the material until the timer is done. After the hour, take 15 minutes to do whatever your heart desires, then repeat.

-If the sun is out, don't waste it. Whether it be to study, or during a break, I've found fresh air and some Vitamin D to be a great outlet to help refocus.

-Lastly, and this is super important, don't let anybody scare you into thinking med school is harder than it really is. I promise you will work much harder than you did in undergrad, and time management is absolutely essential, but I have yet to put more than 50 hours of work into any week thus far (including lecture, studying, seminars, etc.). There are serious diminishing returns on studying in med school; getting an 80-85 is relatively easy, getting a 95-100 requires literally triple the study time. It's up to you whether that's worth it or not.

This is terrific advice! Thank you!

I somehow only just found this thread (been avoiding SDN).

GUYS I'm so excited to see so many familiar (user)names in here! Time has flown by since we were all panicking over secondaries and wondering if/where we'd get accepted!

Reactions: 10 users
My advice for new M1s:

Love this, thank you. Literally cannot wait to be back into school so I can get into a routine again. Go to class, lift/get dem gains, study, sleep, repeat.

Reactions: 8 users
Love this, thank you. Literally cannot wait to be back into school so I can get into a routine again. Go to class, lift/get dem gains, study, sleep, repeat.

Glad to see you got accepted somewhere bro! Seen you in other threads and I think we've talked once but congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Health forms are due on Friday at my school.

Got my titers results back yesterday. Had 3 MMR titers the pas 2 yrs, all negative for measles. Now I have to scramble to find a place to get MMR vaccine dose #4.

2-5% do not get measles immunity after the first MMR dose, so there is a 0.0008-0.0125% chance of not having immunity after 3 doses. What the hell am I supposed to about it?
-_-

Edit: Problem solved. I just need one more booster, which I can get today. #perksofworkinginahospital

Last edited:
Health forms are due on Friday at my school.

Got my titers results back yesterday. Had 3 MMR titers the pas 2 yrs, all negative for measles. Now I have to scramble to find a place to get MMR vaccine dose #4.

2-5% do not get measles immunity after the first MMR dose, so there is a 0.0008-0.0125% chance of not having immunity after 3 doses. What the hell am I supposed to about it?
-_-

Edit: Problem solved. I just need one more booster, which I can get today. #perksofworkinginahospital
Fourth dose? I thought MMR was only two doses?

Fourth dose? I thought MMR was only two doses?
The doctor who did my 1st two did not save the labslips (done before electronic health records). I have a summation immunization chart that shows all dose dates, but you need a labslip to prove it was done apparently.

I have a labslip for dose 3 and I'll get a labslip from the 4th.

Oh thank GOD. Everyone is making it seem as though it's impossible. Although it's an uncomfortable experience, I am glad to hear it's not an impossible undertaking.
It's like being a pledge all over again. The older m2s are scaring our class s***less. It's annoying too.

Got married this weekend!! :love:
My wife (feels strange to write that) is from Colorado, which is where we got married. So I've practically been on vacation for the last two weeks. Not wanting to go back to work on July 1st. Doing some budgeting to figure out if I can afford to not work until I financial aid is disbursed! I know med school is gonna be super intense and I'll probably regret saying this, but I can't wait for school to start to get in a rhythm, and of course, not have to work!

Reactions: 14 users
I've done the math and apparently I am going to be in debt until forever.

Reactions: 4 users
So I'm moving into the heart of Packer country (their fans are the WORST). As a die hard Minnesota Vikings fan, my biggest stressor right now is how I'm going to be able to watch the games! Looked at "NFL LEAGUE PASS" last night, but you don't get to watch the game until after its finished...
Ouch. There's streams for other sports, I'd assume there are for football too. This is the one reason I was happy not to get into a Wisconsin school. But I'll still have hawk fans when hockey season rolls around...

EDIT: That link is busted from the past. Use this one http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/spr/29047257/

This desk is beautiful and I NEED it. But dem' shipping cost :( :(

BTW...what is a reasonable budget for furnishing an 1 bedroom apartment. In the past when I lived in college all my friends and I just brought whatever we had and made a hodge-podge of all variety of furniture, etc.

But now that I will be living alone and a bit older, I would atleast like to have a cohesive theme to my place...what is reasonable to spend??