Incoming M1 c/o 2020 Back to school thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got my apartment situation settled, huge weight lifted!

but now I have to figure what I'm doing about a car...which I've never owned before. halp. might lease.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Summer is gone...Tis a figment...today is Orientation Day! :clap::banana:

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
got my apartment situation settled, huge weight lifted!

but now I have to figure what I'm doing about a car...which I've never owned before. halp. might lease.

I've leased for 6 years now (couple of new Honda Civics) and it's been great for me. You have to put in the work to negotiate a great rate initially to make it worthwhile though (my dad spent his whole life in sales and is a ruthless negotiator so this was not a problem). Leading gives you a new low mileage vehicle for a fraction of the price and eliminates all the headaches of worrying about maintenance, resale value, etc. Plus you can always buy out at the end if you've kept it in good shape and KBB value is still high.

It's not right for everyone, research the financials thoroughly, but for me it has been ideal.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anybody else scared that they will somehow botch some bureaucratic/paperwork-related thing before school starts and get their admission rescinded?

Reactions: 16 users
Is anybody else scared that they will somehow botch some bureaucratic/paperwork-related thing before school starts and get their admission rescinded?
No. It doesn't work like that

I have a recurring nightmare that there was some horrible beurocratic error and I was actually accepted to the podiatry program :scared:

Lol I've already done that. I'm late on my HepB and TB documentation.

Trying to have hope that I won't have to lease an apt, but time is ticking down. I told the spouse if we don't hear anything by this week I have to jump.
Annoyed that Wifi isn't included in many apartment complexes and I have no clue what utilities are going to run. Gr.

Trying to have hope that I won't have to lease an apt, but time is ticking down. I told the spouse if we don't hear anything by this week I have to jump.
Annoyed that Wifi isn't included in many apartment complexes and I have no clue what utilities are going to run. Gr.
Huh. I've only heard of WiFi being included once in the 15 years or so my family has been renting (we move/ apt search a lot too), and there are very specific circumstances as to why in that case. Is it common where you're at?

Sent from my phone, I apologize for any typos or brevity.

Funny how things work out. I was ecstatic to get accepted initially, but then as the days crunch closer to Orientation Day, all my doubts are floating to the surface. Negative thoughts are creeping up on me and I feel unprepared for med school. Thoughts like, "Will I have a life outside of studying 24/7?" and "What if I can't handle the curriculum?"

Reactions: 2 users
Huh. I've only heard of WiFi being included once in the 15 years or so my family has been renting (we move/ apt search a lot too), and there are very specific circumstances as to why in that case. Is it common where you're at?

It has been a mixed hat. Some have it, some don't. Those that don't will typically pay for the water and gas -- but not electricity. However, it seems like this one leaves you out to dry entirely. BUT, it is like a block away from the hospital..... I've been in their complex during SLW for a get together and it was pretty nice. (Also, it'll probably cost me 125$/mo for parking.)

Members don't see this ad :)
It has been a mixed hat. Some have it, some don't. Those that don't will typically pay for the water and gas -- but not electricity. However, it seems like this one leaves you out to dry entirely. BUT, it is like a block away from the hospital..... I've been in their complex during SLW for a get together and it was pretty nice. (Also, it'll probably cost me 125$/mo for parking.)
You've had far more generous landlords than I've seen. I assume going in that nothing is covered and anything that is seems like a bonus.

You've had far more generous landlords than I've seen. I assume going in that nothing is covered and anything that is seems like a bonus.

Oh, no in my personal experience I have had to pay for it all. I'm just relating complexes @ my school right now. ;)

I've leased for 6 years now (couple of new Honda Civics) and it's been great for me. You have to put in the work to negotiate a great rate initially to make it worthwhile though (my dad spent his whole life in sales and is a ruthless negotiator so this was not a problem). Leading gives you a new low mileage vehicle for a fraction of the price and eliminates all the headaches of worrying about maintenance, resale value, etc. Plus you can always buy out at the end if you've kept it in good shape and KBB value is still high.

It's not right for everyone, research the financials thoroughly, but for me it has been ideal.

Yeah, I'm gonna spend the next couple weeks obsessing about this. For a med student, what would you say the max cost per month for a lease should be?

Also, definitely interested in your signature about frequent flier miles. I will be flying home to see family and friends on breaks and stuff, so I was was hoping to learn what airlines and credit cards had good rewards stuff.

thanks!

Damnnnn congrats man...is it just mph stuff for now or are you doing both?

For now it's just the MPH stuff but essentially we have all the rights of a medstudent at school. And dude, be ready. Orientation was a beast. They spoke to us from 8 am on the dot to 4:30 PM. One talk after the other in the same room, in the same seat with minimal breaks haha.

Really exciting though overall. Very low stress. We'll be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, I'm gonna spend the next couple weeks obsessing about this. For a med student, what would you say the max cost per month for a lease should be?

Also, definitely interested in your signature about frequent flier miles. I will be flying home to see family and friends on breaks and stuff, so I was was hoping to learn what airlines and credit cards had good rewards stuff.

thanks!

Tough to say about the budget thing, as it's all kind of relative to your financial situation. I was just mentioning it to say that you need to argue down whatever rate they offer you. For my current car, their first offer was $268 a month plus standard down payment and my dad negotiated down to $179 a month. It's car sales, there are no straight shooters unfortunately. Do your research and simultaneously talk to other dealerships to see the clear picture on pricing.

On a med school budget with no outside help or income, you're going to be kind of limited for budget. Most authorities recommend anywhere from 10% of pre-tax income for payments/insurance to 15% of post-tax income covering all transportation expenses (so gas, oil changes, etc also). Assuming $20k living expense loans as your "post-tax" income (equates to $26k "pre-tax), that would leave you with a budget of $1666/$2166 per month "post-tax"/"pre-tax". Based on the metrics above, your guidelines would be $216/month for payment/insurance or $249/month for all travel expenses (which seems a bit low to me even for just payment/insurance/gas). There are a TON of variables with insurance, but for the sake of argument let's use the average cost of $815 per year or $68 per month. That leaves you with a budget of $148/month for your lease payment or $183 for your payment and all monthly expenses except for insurance (which again strikes me as a bit low). It's just a really crude estimate, but assuming you can get something with great fuel economy and a reliable track record I'd tentatively say that $150 should be your monthly payment target if you do not have any other financial means besides the loan money. And even that is cutting it very, very close when it comes to other expenses associated with having a vehicle. But your options will be extremely limited if we go any lower, so $150 it is for this hypothetical. If you can save money on rent or something (standard advice is 30% of pre-tax income for rent, so $650 for rent/utilities in your case), you might have some flexibility there. Also don't forget a down payment. The more you throw down the less you will pay monthly. I have put about $3k down for mine both times I think, but some do more and some do less. I did not factor a down payment into the above rough calculations, so you may need to use an outside savings account or help from family to cover it if you plan to stick to the budget we outlined here.

Working on this budget, you'll really want to try to sign the lease during a sale or promotion. That will be hard with limited time available, but look for 4th of july sales or maybe labor day sale events at dealerships in your area or nearby cities. This will help you start the negotiating at a lower price from the get-go. You may also get lucky with a salesperson who is more concerned about volume over margin due to internal competitions surrounding the dealership sale, so you can generally work a better deal under these conditions. Get your credit score in shape first too, as this will influence the bottom line lowest rate you can get. Have your parent lease the car in their name if their credit is significantly higher than yours. If you're not too concerned with loading it with features, you can probably find a decent assortment of options in the $149-$179/month range with brands such as Ford, Honda, Chevy, Jeep, etc. and even some less common ones like Fiat if you're into that. Do a google search for leases under $200 and find the most recent article. Keep in mind that prices you see are able to be negotiated and should only be used as a starting point.

As for the credit card stuff, I'll PM you.

Hope it helps man, and good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
@NotaCop - you're amazing. Thanks for taking the time to write all that out. I made similar calculations but wasn't sure if I was completely off-base or not.

@NotaCop - you're amazing. Thanks for taking the time to write all that out. I made similar calculations but wasn't sure if I was completely off-base or not.

My pleasure! Good luck to you friend. Give those rascals down at the dealership hell

I'm really hoping my parents will give in and finally buy me a car.

I'm really hoping my parents will give in and finally buy me a car.

same. kind of going to hint at that, then hope semi-more realistically maybe they'll kick in for a laptop haha

speaking of...anyone have any recommendations? Been using the same macbook pro for 7 years now and was considering getting either a new one or a macbook air for school. Apparently you get free beats this summer too.

So my school has on its orientation portal a couple of "kickstart" courses that are "highly recommended", like anatomy and physiology and other things over 5 weeks. I really don't need to do these, right? I just want to relax for the next 6-7 weeks....

What do you all think?

same. kind of going to hint at that, then hope semi-more realistically maybe they'll kick in for a laptop haha

speaking of...anyone have any recommendations? Been using the same macbook pro for 7 years now and was considering getting either a new one or a macbook air for school. Apparently you get free beats this summer too.

I'm selling my 2010 MacBook Pro and I'm also trying to decide between getting an air or another pro. Was going to talk to the guys at Apple/see what software we need to run on the laptops for school

I don't know much about computers, but I'm think I'm going to ride out my old MBP until they release the new one (allegedly) by the end of the year.

So excited for August to start classes and get on with the next year. Got an apartment a lot of MS1s and 2s stay at close to my campus, but I can't move in until Aug 12, and orientation starts on the 1st :whistle:

I'm selling my 2010 MacBook Pro and I'm also trying to decide between getting an air or another pro. Was going to talk to the guys at Apple/see what software we need to run on the laptops for school
I'd say definitely get an Air! I love mine just for how light it is, and once I'm carrying around books and binders the lighter I can keep my bag, the better. I used to have a pro but so far I've never encountered any issue with software/capacity etc with the air.

I'd say definitely get an Air! I love mine just for how light it is, and once I'm carrying around books and binders the lighter I can keep my bag, the better. I used to have a pro but so far I've never encountered any issue with software/capacity etc with the air.

You can look at the MacBook (non-pro) too. It's teeny! Smaller than the air and weighs like nothing at all. Also pretty cheap and has yet to give me any performance issues.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Air not have a HDMI port? That would be a dealbreaker for me.

The macbook pro is $1K and you can hook it up to a large monitor (I have a ginormous 32" monitor from HP that was $150 on Amazon back on black Friday)

MBA doesn't have any ports besides USB but the Thunderbolt port can use adapters for Ethernet, VGA, HDMI. I have all 3 and they work well.

There's very little reason to get an MBA instead of the MBP since MBP is almost as thin now and only marginally more expensive for much more power. MBAs really wear put after a couple of years as the processor gets old. You'll often find that it heats up a lot for relatively simple tasks like watching YouTube or anything to do with photo/video editing. I personally find the 12" MB useless due to the eye strain from the small screen and weak processing power.

13" MBP is the best versatile Apple laptop out there right now.

Reactions: 5 users
MBA doesn't have any ports besides USB but the Thunderbolt port can use adapters for Ethernet, VGA, HDMI. I have all 3 and they work well.

There's very little reason to get an MBA instead of the MBP since MBP is almost as thin now and only marginally more expensive for much more power. MBAs really wear put after a couple of years as the processor gets old. You'll often find that it heats up a lot for relatively simple tasks like watching YouTube or anything to do with photo/video editing. I personally find the 12" MB useless due to the eye strain from the small screen and weak processing power.

Yup. My 2011 MBA started acting up in 2014 and heating up. Had to replace battery in 2015 and it is "slowing" down now but still usable (heats up, drains fadt, doesn't handle multi-tasking as well, freezes). I have definitely had my share of "oh crap I am gonna lose everything that isn't backed up" moments. With that said, my previous laptops would only last 1.5 at most so I am happy. I think I'll go pro this time.

I literally worry about this every single day, to the point of cold sweats and nightmares. It SUCKS! I was camping over the weekend, and had a nightmare that it was a day before my HIPPA and some other paperwork deadline. I woke up and started shaking my husband in the middle of the night asking to drive back home immediately, so I can finish everything. :scared::scared::scared:

I don't know much about computers, but I'm think I'm going to ride out my old MBP until they release the new one (allegedly) by the end of the year.

So excited for August to start classes and get on with the next year. Got an apartment a lot of MS1s and 2s stay at close to my campus, but I can't move in until Aug 12, and orientation starts on the 1st :whistle:
and I thought I was stressed.
I have a 09 MBP 17 (or 18"?) and it still works well.... I was planning on picking up a 13.3" for increased portability and battery life. Then dual monitor it back at the crib.

Do you think its worth going for the 256 GB or is the 128 GB enough?

I would say if you can afford it go for the greater storage. I splurged for the 128 back in the day and between pictures, theses, papers and random documents and songs, I managed to eat up most of it and had to back up to external hard drives to keep it running.

Usually better to go big now instead of worrying later. Bad thing with Apple is that everything's soldered and non-upgradeable.. But then again, what do usually use? Are you heavy on video or audio files? Do you use cloud very often for all your stuff? (Even if that's the case, always sync it with local storage btw) I'm kind of a tech geek so more is always better because I like to keep large A/V files locally for easier access. It really just depends but if in doubt, go big. My 2012 MBA actually has 512GB and it's very worth it.

Be sure to check your school's tech requirements, if they have any. My school required that we have 256 GB, as well as hardware no older than Jan 2015. I went ahead and splurged on a MBP 15", and plan on using my iPad for lectures. I think it's better to make sure all your tech is working well and ready for your needs, rather than risking anything going south during the school year. :thumbup:

Be sure to check your school's tech requirements, if they have any. My school required that we have 256 GB, as well as hardware no older than Jan 2015. I went ahead and splurged on a MBP 15", and plan on using my iPad for lectures. I think it's better to make sure all your tech is working well and ready for your needs, rather than risking anything going south during the school year. :thumbup:
I have an old MBP workng well and I am considering getting an iPad for lectures. Anyone have recommendations (Pro/Air/Mini & 16-64GB)?

I have an old MBP workng well and I am considering getting an iPad for lectures. Anyone have recommendations (Pro/Air/Mini & 16-64GB)?
I'm going to get the Pro, the Apple Pencil is so nice.

I'm going to get the Pro, the Apple Pencil is so nice.

Same. I tried the surface 4 and hated it because it kept rejecting my palm (left-handed here!). My scribbles were even more unrecognizable. The iPad Pro on the other hand worked like a charm.

How do you guys plan on taking notes? Personally I've never liked using a computer, but I feel like it may be necessary to keep up.

How do you guys plan on taking notes? Personally I've never liked using a computer, but I feel like it may be necessary to keep up.
I plan not to, can't learn when I'm taking notes.

Sent from my phone, sorry for any typos or brevity.

I'm gonna stop lurking and actually post now

I keep having dreams that I unknowingly failed one of my courses in undergrad and actually never graduated...I'm a little paranoid!

I can't believe my school starts in a little over a month! I feel like I should be doing something, anything, to prepare but it's just so much effort to get up and move.... :p

Reactions: 3 users
I'm gonna stop lurking and actually post now

I keep having dreams that I unknowingly failed one of my courses in undergrad and actually never graduated...I'm a little paranoid!

I can't believe my school starts in a little over a month! I feel like I should be doing something, anything, to prepare but it's just so much effort to get up and move.... :p
I feel the same way. The only way I am preparing on advice for how to be a successful medical student. I'm obviously not going to try and study before class starts or anything like that, I have a very solid background in organic chemistry, biochemistry, etc. so I'm hoping that sticks!

I've always been a pencil and notebook person. I feel like it helps me absorb things better, even though typing is orders of magnitude faster. My school provides everybody with an iPad so maybe I will try and integrate that into my note-taking somehow. But a lot of it will be "bold experimentation," as FDR once said.

I've always been a pencil and notebook person. I feel like it helps me absorb things better, even though typing is orders of magnitude faster. My school provides everybody with an iPad so maybe I will try and integrate that into my note-taking somehow. But a lot of it will be "bold experimentation," as FDR once said.
^^ I've always been a meticulous note taker by hand. I haven't had the cajones to try typing and see how well it integrates into memory. All of our lectures are recorded though, so we can listen @ 1.5-3.0x speed and while you can't write that fast, you can type that fast.
I am going to give Anki a try as well.

^^ I've always been a meticulous note taker by hand. I haven't had the cajones to try typing and see how well it integrates into memory. All of our lectures are recorded though, so we can listen @ 1.5-3.0x speed and while you can't write that fast, you can type that fast.
I am going to give Anki a try as well.

I've heard great things about Anki! I've always been a hand-written note taker as well, but I have a feeling all of this technology is going to finally come in handy for med school. I've heard it's just too time consuming to do everything by hand.

I feel the same way. The only way I am preparing on advice for how to be a successful medical student. I'm obviously not going to try and study before class starts or anything like that, I have a very solid background in organic chemistry, biochemistry, etc. so I'm hoping that sticks!

I don't remember jack.

Reactions: 4 users
I just never understood what the point of notes are? Why would I want my janky half written shorthand about something when I have the slides and the textbook and the entire internet? What good does writing down a few words do? I find that whenever I try to take notes, I remember far far far less of the actual material. If I just watch and pay a lot of attention to the lecture and ask questions comma all things which I feel note taking impedes I remember what I need to.

Anki, which I will of course be using in med school, is different... That's a study method, not note taking. I'm thinking it will be the only study method all need, but of course I'll try other things as well. I've never been the rewriting things or drawing outline type person either so we'll see.

I just never understood what the point of notes are? Why would I want my janky half written shorthand about something when I have the slides and the textbook and the entire internet? What good does writing down a few words do? I find that whenever I try to take notes, I remember far far far less of the actual material. If I just watch and pay a lot of attention to the lecture and ask questions comma all things which I feel note taking impedes I remember what I need to.

Anki, which I will of course be using in med school, is different... That's a study method, not note taking. I'm thinking it will be the only study method all need, but of course I'll try other things as well. I've never been the rewriting things or drawing outline type person either so we'll see.

When I take notes, I generally only took maybe a page or 2 max for hour and a half long classes. I generally tended to write things down only if they were stressed by the professor (going to be on the test), so I could go over them in greater detail later. But yeah, if you are scribbling down every phrase they utter, it isn't going to be helpful. Some people printed out the slides before hand and took notes on them/basically added the things that weren't on the slides that the prof said.

At least for me, the point of the notes is not to look at them later. My handwriting leaves much to be desired. I've found that doing things other than looking and listening helps me absorb material better. Likewise, when I am doing complicated integrals or derivations or chemistry mechanisms, I like doing it on a whiteboard because the physical act of standing up and moving around while working on it seems to help me understand it better. But of course it really comes down to each individual person's learning style. I've also heard a lot of good things about Anki and imagine I will be using that relatively frequently.