"Incomplete Grade" for graduate research credit/independent study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This semester in graduate school, I began research in a laboratory with 1 semester credit hour in Independent Study.

We encountered a lot of problems with our reagents, etc., and did not get as far as planned, so my research adviser has decided to grant an "I" (for "Incomplete") for the 1 semester hour in Independent Study.

It will not be resolved by the time I submit the AMCAS application in June, so I do not believe it will count toward my AMCAS graduate GPA.

My question is - how will medical schools view this? Will the explanation I've given be acceptable?

Also - undergraduate GPA: 3.75; undergraduate BCPM: 3.66; MCAT: 32S;

graduate GPA so far: will likely be 3.7 or so

Feedback would be appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would order an official version of your transcript just to make sure that it lists the course as being "incomplete--unresolved" as opposed to just saying "incomplete". If the class really is unresolved, then it won't count against you.

Your explanation is fine and I would just be ready to explain at an interview. You shouldn't need to slip this in to your application as it is a minor blip on an otherwise excellent academic background

I am looking at my unofficial transcript and it is listing the grade as simply " I " (for "Incomplete"). There is no indication whether it is unresolved or resolved.

What has been everyone's experience with this? It isn't factoring into my GPA, but I've read stories about AMCAS not counting it towards the AMCAS GPA and AMCAS counting it as an F under the same circumstances. May someone explain this discrepancy?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking at my unofficial transcript and it is listing the grade as simply " I " (for "Incomplete"). There is no indication whether it is unresolved or resolved.

What has been everyone's experience with this? It isn't factoring into my GPA, but I've read stories about AMCAS not counting it towards the AMCAS GPA and AMCAS counting it as an F under the same circumstances. May someone explain this discrepancy?

This is why ordering the official transcript is recommended. The back of the transcript is going to explain exactly what each grade notation means at your university. If it really is an incomplete then they'll count it as an F I believe. If the I means incomplete-unresolved then it shouldn't hurt you.

You could always ask the registrar too.

This is why ordering the official transcript is recommended. The back of the transcript is going to explain exactly what each grade notation means at your university. If it really is an incomplete then they'll count it as an F I believe. If the I means incomplete-unresolved then it shouldn't hurt you.

You could always ask the registrar too.

https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2010/WebApp/Help/WebHelp/Course_Work_Special_Course_Types.htm

What isn't clear in their description of "Incomplete" is what they define as an "unresolved" Incomplete. From what it sounds like, they're going to count it as an F if credits are listed as "IF" or "F" (not resolved within a time limit).