Inexpensive Supplies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought we were getting it cheaper than that. Let me double check next week and I'll find out the price. Also while I'm here, what quinke needles is everyone using? I used BD brand at the VA which I really liked. My current practice has ordered something else, can't remember the name but they suck. They are apparently cheaper than BD. Curious to hear what brand needles everyone uses.

BD is the best brand of quincke needles IMHO. I had a similar experience when my nurse ordered some slightly cheaper non BD brand quincke needles a few months into practice and they sucked big time. I have only used BD brand quincke needles ever since.

Members don't see this ad.

most times i dont even use sterile sheath, since i use it for peripheral blocks. (I dont use US for "spine" procedures, with the exception of stellates).

i wipe off the probe with chlorhexidine wipe immediately prior to placing it on the patient, and when done with procedure..

i do use sterile prep with sterile gel, however.

Isn't chlorhex usually mixed with alcohol? If so, I believe alcohol can damage probes.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10396-010-0296-1#page-1

Click LOOK INSIDE to see article

The bevel angle is actually different with different manufacturers. BD has the sharpest bevel at aroun 11 degrees and some others are up to 16 degrees. The force required to penetrate is lower with BD. I measured these parameter around 4 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
The bevel angle is actually different with different manufacturers. BD has the sharpest bevel at aroun 11 degrees and some others are up to 16 degrees. The force required to penetrate is lower with BD. I measured these parameter around 4 years ago.

Great inside information as always.

I like the head of the BD needle is smaller and lighter in the hand than most other manufacturers. It seemed to be more easily directed than other brands. Now I know why.

Last edited:
i used some of the Proteck, but they were too expensive.

nowadays, i am using the Super Sani-cloth disposable wipes, that were recommended per ultrasound saleperson to use on the probe.

i used some of the Proteck, but they were too expensive.

nowadays, i am using the Super Sani-cloth disposable wipes, that were recommended per ultrasound saleperson to use on the probe.

Thanks

Has anyone actually successfully ordered the contrast through ISIS?

yes, just received a contrast order at a ridiculously low price. cant believe I have been screwed for 8 years...
i gotta thank algos for this one.

Has anyone actually successfully ordered the contrast through ISIS?

Yes. 50ml bottle of omnipaque 240 for $4.80 each. Much better than $50 for a 20ml bottle of omni 180. Actually ordered through "pedspal" which you sign up for through ISIS. Use as 180, or dilute 1cc of saline in 3 cc of 240, to make omnipaque 180.

Paid for my ISIS membership on the first order (brick of 10vials for $48, instead of $500 for a brick of 10, 20cc vials of omnipaque 180)